Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
You're going to love it...when are you headed to the big sky country???
We leave tomorrow for 3 months!! All packed, bikes loaded, toad hooked up and ready to roll. After a quick stop at Spartan and Equalizer we will head to Steam Boat Springs, Colorado. So excited to finally be ready to spend some time in the new coach.
DianneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2013, 02:48 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Mechanica View Post
Awesome answers and feedback! Seems that there isn't a big difference between the drivability of a Entegra and Newmar -- folks seem to be pleased with both.

Comfort Drive appears to really shine when compared to non Entegra coaches but with an Entegra the difference is not a big selling advantage.
I think the CD makes the most difference with shorter/non-tag chassis. It really doesn't relate to the coach maker. A Newmar on the same chassis as an Entegra is a draw in the handling area. I am not versed in the difference in FL vs. Spartan so there could be something in that since Newmar puts the Dutch Star line on those now.

I'm happy with my 43' DSDP's handling and am not convinced I would spend more for CD but I would have to actually drive a CD model to make that call. I've driven my DSDP enough to be happy without the CD.

In the end, I am impressed with the value Entegra brings to the mix. If we decide to make one more trade...Entegra will defiantly be in the mix.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:04 PM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianneS View Post
We leave tomorrow for 3 months!! All packed, bikes loaded, toad hooked up and ready to roll. After a quick stop at Spartan and Equalizer we will head to Steam Boat Springs, Colorado. So excited to finally be ready to spend some time in the new coach.
Take your fly rods...we have some friends you've spent the summer in central and Western CO in state parks and campgrounds and lakes...they've been enjoying lake trout all summer, plus some beautiful scenery. Take care though, near any old forest fire burn scars; they've had some real problems with flash floods this summer with any kind of thunderstorm. We missed the first Manitou Springs flash flood by about 20 minutes. Have fun.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:08 PM   #18

Evergreen Owners Club
comfort drive sounds like a enhanced trucenter from blue ox . I just got a trucenter for my coach and instead of a computer counter acting the steering the driver pushes a button to adjust the steering in the wind or from a crown in the road . its not one finger driving like the comfort drive but it does bring the wheel back to center . also it take's a lot of stress out of driving from what I have seen with 1200 mile's on it , cost about $ 1300 installed

mike
Old 01-09-2014, 07:15 PM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
In have driven a Newmar with Comfort Drive (CD) and owned a Beaver with Tru-Center (TC). I liked the Comfort Drive much more than Tru-Center. TC makes the steering heavy and stiff, whereas CD is smooth and easy to steer. No contest, CD is better. But it is only one feature, and you have to compare all the features of each coach vs. the other. If it were only about CD I would have bought a Mountain Aire, but I bought an Entegra Anthem based on many other features that I liked better in the Anthem. And while the Anthem does not have CD, it is still one great driving coach.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:43 PM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebrls View Post
comfort drive sounds like a enhanced trucenter from blue ox . I just got a trucenter for my coach and instead of a computer counter acting the steering the driver pushes a button to adjust the steering in the wind or from a crown in the road . its not one finger driving like the comfort drive but it does bring the wheel back to center . also it take's a lot of stress out of driving from what I have seen with 1200 mile's on it , cost about $ 1300 installed

mike
I have to agree, Ive driven Newmars, lovely coach, nice steering. I went with the Entegra and a trucenter. I feel I get the same finger drive with a itty bitty bit of stiffniess at a much lower cost compared to a comparable Newmar. This is just a preference and a section I made after looking at everything that was "optional" on Newmar and standard on the Entegra..

Edit.. OOps, I have an Aspire.. I also couldn't see spending the extra for IFS, the aspire dives like a dream point to point, but the real enjoyment is the destination for me.
Mario-John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:24 PM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Have driven an Anthem and Newmar w/comfort dive and, candidly, I don't think there is a huge advantage for Comfort Drive. Also drove a Cornerstone with the K3 chassis, which is one of the reasons I have one on order. All are beautiful coaches and I will not get in an argument with Nemar Owners about Comfort Drive. It depends on how YOU view it. Drive both and decide yourself. With me, dollar for dollar, the Entegra product was a winner.
Crippsfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:27 PM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbmw1 View Post
"The CD (Column Drive by TRW, Newmar calls it Comfort Drive) product is an electronic steering aid that is located between the steering wheel and the steering gear. It is not connected to, nor does it directly affect any portion of the hydraulic system. It is a software-driven computerized device that utilizes an electro servo motor to react to user steering input, steering gear feedback and self centering predictability".

Frank Wyzywany, of Spartan Chassis, told me this can be an option on any coach for a $6,500 up charge. No one, except Newmar, see's the value.

I know Entegra Coach looked into this system a few years ago and decided CD was not enough valve to justify the added cost.

I have driven both, and I agree with Entegra.
If it had been offered as an Entegra option, I would have bought it.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:49 PM   #23

Texas Boomers Club
How much difference doe a tag axel make in the wind?

Is it the tag...steering type...wheel base...?

I have a 2014 Thor Palazzo 36.1 Freightliner 300HP Cummins. About 9750 miles on it after picking it up 6/28.

It's "OK" under 8 or 9 mph wind...but anything over that and it becomes a nightmare. I've played around with tire pressures, and had local Freightliner shop do an alignment. Very little help. It's to the point I don't feel safe driving it with any side wind. We're trying to decide if there is any way to "fix it" or do we have to cash in another $100K of retirement and go to something like:
1. Entegra Aspire
2. Newmar Ventana 40-42'
3. Thor Tuscany 42-45'
Or something with a tag axel...?

HELP!
Batten54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:42 PM   #24

We're on coach #5 and the last 2 had Comfort Drive, so we spent a lot of miles in the first 3 coaches that didn't have it. Those that are interested should go to the Newmar website and look at their videos, it's a fair representation of what the system does. The fact that Newell picked it up after the exclusive period, as a perceived advantage over their main competition (Prevost) probably also says something. We have noticed that it adds a fair amount to the ease to of all of the driving, and a LOT of help when driving in strong crosswinds ( Kansas). We often do 500 to 600 mile days. If someone is doing 55MPH and 200 mile days, it's probably not a big deal.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:43 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batten54 View Post

Is it the tag...steering type...wheel base...?...
To answer the first question...A LOT!

Why? Well, some of the above and some. The tag certainly helps keep a straight line regardless of CD or not. With that you get longer wheel base which also helps. The other thing you generally get is a heavier MH. Weight does matter.

As to the steering type I still THINK that CD makes a major/biggest difference in MHs without a tag. HOWEVER...I haven't driven a CD so I may be talking out my ars. CD does a couple tricks that help regardless of MH length.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:44 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:

I have a 2014 Thor Palazzo 36.1 Freightliner 300HP Cummins. About 9750 miles on it after picking it up 6/28.

It's "OK" under 8 or 9 mph wind...but anything over that and it becomes a nightmare. I've played around with tire pressures, and had local Freightliner shop do an alignment. Very little help. It's to the point I don't feel safe driving it with any side wind. We're trying to decide if there is any way to "fix it" or do we have to cash in another $100K of retirement and go to something like:
1. Entegra Aspire
2. Newmar Ventana 40-42'
3. Thor Tuscany 42-45'

HELP!
It's mainly the tag, but longer wheelbase and weight add more stability as well. We had a 36' Tiffin Phaeton and suffered the same instability issues as you. It was an absolute nightmare to drive in higher crosswinds. So much so, that we sold it and went to a tag axle coach. The difference is remarkable and no more white knuckles! You hear many opinions from non-Comfort Drive owners as to the value added versus cost, but there is one thing for sure, drive a CD coach a 1,000 miles and you will never buy another without it.
MoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:06 AM   #27

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:

1. Entegra Aspire
2. Newmar Ventana 40-42'
3. Thor Tuscany 42-45'

HELP!
I have a palazzo 33.3 and added a blue ox truceneter it cost about $ 1300 installed it help's a lot , it took a few hundred miles to get used to . I would say try the trucenter first it's only $1300 installed a lot cheaper then loosing big money on a trade in and spending more on a new coach so soon ,
a few week's ago we did 1200 mile's and 20 mph winds and the coach was ok to drive at 60 to 65 mph once you set the trucenter , you will still have some wheel play but you wont have to white knuckle it .
I don't think it will drive as good as a tag axle that way's twice as much weight but it won't cost you an extra $ 100 k either .
if your down in south Florida and you want to meet up to take a ride in mine to see how the trucenter feels' just pm me .

mike
Old 01-11-2014, 08:41 AM   #28

Texas Boomers Club
What about the chassis? Does Freightliner vs. Spartan etc. make any difference?
Batten54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar