Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2014, 06:56 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Entegra HP, Torque, and Handling

IN the past there have been several discussions of Aspire and Anthem HP, Torque and handling.

Having driven Arizona State Highway 89 Southwest of Prescott AZ this morning, I think I can say unequivocally, Anthem is the goods!

This must be the road AZ motorcyclist ride for fun ("twisties" going up and down elevations). I put the Anthem through its paces, changing gears manually, and fully using the engine brake. This road was narrow, and being a biker myself, I'd call it technically challenging for bikers. So needless to say, it was a technical driving challenge for a coach and total length approaching 70 ft.

Yes, I'd love to try the 600 HP K3 on the same road, but I was damn happy about how the 450 HP Anthem with IFS handled the road ... WITH EASE!
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2014, 07:52 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for sharing this Dave. I think we all want to be satisfied with our investment and it's nice to come here and read some positive reviews.
oneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:52 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
IN the past there have been several discussions of Aspire and Anthem HP, Torque and handling.

Having driven Arizona State Highway 89 Southwest of Prescott AZ this morning, I think I can say unequivocally, Anthem is the goods!

This must be the road AZ motorcyclist ride for fun ("twisties" going up and down elevations). I put the Anthem through its paces, changing gears manually, and fully using the engine brake. This road was narrow, and being a biker myself, I'd call it technically challenging for bikers. So needless to say, it was a technical driving challenge for a coach and total length approaching 70 ft.

Yes, I'd love to try the 600 HP K3 on the same road, but I was damn happy about how the 450 HP Anthem with IFS handled the road ... WITH EASE!
Back in 2008, I took a motorcoach driving class from the RV School. That route was the one they taught me mountain driving on. It was a kick but then I was at only 35 ft. In those days there were warnings signs advising against trucks exceeding 40 ft. They must have removed them when they heard you were headed that way.
2012 Honda CRV, Blue Ox Avail, AF1
tnrzryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:01 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Dave that is nice to know. We will be doing the Colorado Rocky's and the Sierra Nevada's this summer. Nice to hear the Anthems can pull some hills.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:29 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrzryd View Post
Back in 2008, I took a motorcoach driving class from the RV School. That route was the one they taught me mountain driving on. It was a kick but then I was at only 35 ft. In those days there were warnings signs advising against trucks exceeding 40 ft. They must have removed them when they heard you were headed that way.
Tom,

I watched for signs warning of the route. A lot of construction in SW Prescott at the start of the route. Lots of yellow signs with curves and speeds. No grade signs. I was just really impressed with Anthem handling.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:41 AM   #6

That great handling is not just with the Anthem. It is probably true with any tag coach with a 450 Cummins and IFS. My Allegro Bus on a Powerglide Chassis and my sons Ellipse on a Freightliner chassis handles the same. As you have said, the ride and feel of the road is unlike anything I have had in the past. It is a great combination of power, weight distribution and suspension.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:09 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Here is something that I saw posted on a web forum some time ago:

"Here's one I'd recommend avoiding in a big rig. In Arizona, on hwy 89A,
between Sedona and Prescott, there is an old mining town, high up in the
mountains called "Jerome". The highway going thru town is very narrow, with
several sharp turns, and little clearance. I wasn't even towing when I
drove thru there, and it got my attention."
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:23 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
I saw the post...note it was 89A, we were on 89. Didn't travel to Sedona, that is about 30 miles East of our route. There is also an 89A North of the Grand Canyon (that road really gets around!). I didn't take that road between Monument Valley and Zion a month ago because I didn't have to and we'd also see Page and Glen Canyon dam.

WE went this way because we wanted to see Quartzite and some of the Southern AZ RV "resorts". Got to say...wan't impressed. So the route met our needs and avoiding about 60 extra miles. And the views were tremendous. What I learned was that I can handle the twisting roads of the mountains.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:26 PM   #9

Last week a great mechanic from las vegas who installed my starter in anthem he reccomended these guys Performance Diesel Inc - Testimonials
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:19 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Johnny

It doesn't appear they do any tunes or have parts for the Cummins ISL engine.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:23 PM   #11

I think il call em the mechanic told me there is a great kit boosts the hp. raises gas mileage and you can lose the def tank which you can just sell for a decent price il call them he also mentioned another company he trusts this guy really knows his engines.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:38 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
I think I'd be careful screwing around with the DEF. They may say it can be done, but that would be violating federal regulations.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:15 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
I understand the "need for speed" but I have read on other forum postings about individuals either considering buying or selling chipped, modded, or enhanced DP motorhomes and unless it's something simple like an exhaust pipe or different air cleaner people stay away from those rigs like they carry the plague. I would consider doing that stuff after the engine warranty is out but when you read about these owners causing other problems it seems like Cummins says "your on your own". Perhaps if an owner ran a truck company and had a mechanic on staff that had done this sort of thing often I'd think about it, but I would shy away from any coach I knew had those mods.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:30 PM   #14

Mine runs like a scalded dog already I haul no toad though