Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2017, 06:17 AM   #1

Entegra in flood

Wondering if anyone has experienced flooding with their motorhome. I have a 13' aspire that took on 29" in my enclosed shop. No ext damage. Started right up but blew water out the tailpipe. Check engine light is know on and a beeping sound coming from engine area. Water got into batteries, generator, aquahot, front drivers side outside fuse bay, etc. main electric switch was off inside. Adjuster calling today. Ive not tried to turn anything electric on yet. Really concerned about long term electric issues even if some things work. Any suggestions on how to proceed. I'm not close to any Entegra dealers. Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2017, 06:28 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Ouch ....so sorry.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:34 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
What a shame!! As for the check engine lights, etc with the engine. I know from driving in heavy rains ( I won't do that anymore) the engine computer can get flooded out and causes all kinds of readings on the dash read out. Fortunately Cummins was able to fix mine with a heat gun.

I would be more worried about the basement floors, wiring etc. I would push for a total if the AH, generator etc got water damage. Get another MH and let the insurance company worry about the problems that will continue.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:36 AM   #4

Contact Spartan and see if the have a procedure for flooded chassis.

Barring that, here are a few items to consider..

The CEL is likely due to water inside the connections surrounding the engine. You could pull the code and highlight the affected system. Personally, I'd disconnect each connector, blow it out with compressed air, then hit it with some LPS4. I'd carefully do this and during reassembly apply a dab of dielectric grease to the contacts.

Do this at the fuse panel as well. Remove, and clean each fuse location.

The batteries should be replaced.

Do not start the generator until you have a chance to change the oil.

Speaking of oil, I'd change the steer and tag axle oil. I'd also change the differential fluid. I would change the transmission filters and have the fluid examined for signs of water. If any is present, change the entire fluid, not just the filters. Grease all suspension zerks including the driveshaft U-Joints.

In short, I'd closely examine and service anything below the frame rails. Probably your best bet would be to get a mobile lube service to come out and service everything.

Good luck and keep us posted,

-Matt

P.S. As Chuck said, the basement floors are plywood, so anticipate replacement.
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:44 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Ouch! We built our new RV garage higher than it needed to be just in case the water in the nearby creek flooded. But I'm not sure we could handle as much water as you guys got.

Good Luck!
jbhobbs54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:46 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
The biggest problem caused for vehicles in water are to the electronics and electrical connections. As long as the intake was not under water, nor the oil fill tube, the engine is not likely damaged. The electronics that were under water will need attention. If the transmission vent was under water that needs to be checked too.

Of course our motorhomes are actually a marriage between a truck and a house. Those fuses under the driver's seat are house related. I'd pull every fuse and spray the panel with a dielectric water displacing contact cleaning product. An internet search will show many such products. Long term problems can pop up from corrosion caused by moisture not fully purged after the incident.

Flood damage can be challenging and frustrating. Every time you think you have a handle on it something else will pop up. Hopefully the adjuster you are working with has flood damage experience.

Good luck.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorrick View Post
Wondering if anyone has experienced flooding with their motorhome. I have a 13' aspire that took on 29" in my enclosed shop. No ext damage. Started right up but blew water out the tailpipe. Check engine light is know on and a beeping sound coming from engine area. Water got into batteries, generator, aquahot, front drivers side outside fuse bay, etc. main electric switch was off inside. Adjuster calling today. Ive not tried to turn anything electric on yet. Really concerned about long term electric issues even if some things work. Any suggestions on how to proceed. I'm not close to any Entegra dealers. Thanks
Sure hope the insurance company's good,

Give them a call and follow their lead - all wiring - all bearings - new Aqua Hot - probably new basement - steps - locks - all new fluids - front end grease - drive train - Brakes - ....................................

This could get really big.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:09 AM   #8

If you have the correct insurance I see a new replacement coach on the horizon. Hopefully you have replacement coverage. A flooded car or coach most likely will be a continuing saga of unsolvable electrical issues and gremlins. If you have the correct coverage I would suggest lobbying for a new coach.
waterboy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:17 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd consider contacting your insurance company as the first order of business.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:44 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Shouldn't a flood of this nature be a total ? That is if the insurance company does the right thing Due to the continuing electrical problems and the cost of rebuilding the basement and everything in it. Repairs will be listed as flood damage making it difficult to sell
I'd be pressing hard for a replacement coach
Old 05-02-2017, 09:00 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Many of us have discussed "Full Replacement Coverage" for the first 5 years on our insurance. This is one of those times is would pay off and a new 2017 or 18 would be replacing the probably totaled coach. I live in an area that "could" flood from a hurricane and I make sure I have that coverage.

This is an excellent post of what could happen, just sorry that it did. I have had a couple of boats sink at my dock and it is not fun.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:03 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
After a fire, the worst thing that can happen to an RV is flooding. Contact your insurance company and then the chassis manufacturer. The long term effects of water getting into electronic will go on and on.

Best of luck in getting it resolved and sorry for your problems.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:21 AM   #13

Great ideas and things to consider. Meeting with adjuster tomorrow. I have replacement insurance and certainly will push for that. Any other thoughts to bring up to adjuster would be greatly appreciated!! Rick
Old 05-02-2017, 11:38 AM   #14

While the effects present an interesting problem solving exercise, I'd be pushing for replacement myself.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
entegra