RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2019, 08:10 AM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Entegra automation

Rob,

Thanks so much for your detailed reply!

I would like to know where you go a NET-Port cable?

I have just received an IOT-CANBUS1 ESP32 module. And look to use an ESP32 to create a CAN bus controller. I use Home Assistant now in the Aspire with Video cameras and use ESP to monitor battery voltages and controller LED strips mounted under coach. So excited to move towards CAN bus control and possible integration with Home Assistant.
Thanks, Randy
rlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2019, 06:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdoc View Post
Steve, awesome, a fellow automaton nerd! I started with the BSR X-10 stuff back in the mid 70's.

...."RV Thermostat" in development. See https://www.zedly.com/

....A notification system is also high on my list, a way to request and log critical info remotely (battery voltages, temperatures, shore power status, etc.) and also be able to push immediate notifications like a text message should a threshold be exceeded. I'm doing that now with the RV Command but I'd prefer integrating that into the RV-C network for a bunch of reasons.
Rob,

Yeah I'm a automation or controls Nerd. Spent my career in Industrial controls, so controls, monitoring, breaking propriety comms, and building programming interface and micro control boards is in my blood.

Younger generation will never know the fun of long nights trying to break into a communication stream. Today Ethernet and now WiFi have made it almost too easy. On the other hand we can do so much more than we ever considered back in the 70's thru 90's, so I would love to be starting out today.

I played with X-10 but never implemented anything.

The Zedly RV Thermostat looks interesting, but I'm not interested in another monthly bill, hopefully that will be optional.

I never realized that Airxcel 2-wire communications. As I mentioned I cut my teeth on RS-422 and RS-485 type serial communications but I don't have any of my old stuff anymore. I could build something out of a PI or PC. Basically just a sniffer that watches and relays the bidirectional comms. Get enough of that and you can figure out the basics. Its funny, but everyone thinks they have this propriety communication protocol, but due to self ease, almost all of them follow the same basic format.

Yes tying into the the Magnum would be great and very useful. Like you I have a work around, but its a cludge.

I did send you an email.

Steve
Old 08-01-2019, 11:36 PM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
voltdoc, Seems we took some of the same paths. I started with BSR before it became known as X10 early on and more recently totally automated our last house with Insteon and Homeseer. We have a casita on an RV Resort lot in Yuma Iíve had fun with automating with Insteon and Alexa, I have been interested in doing some of the same with our RV, but too many projects ahead in line. The project line is thinning now. Actually I was thinking of getting a Raspberry Pi as a hobby diversion, but without a focused project I was concerned it would just take up space. Thanks for your posts, a project is in hand. It has been a long time since I played with a computer at a system level (IMSAI 8080, MITS Altar, etc.) and looking forward getting past APPs and back to the nuts and bolts challenge. If you donít mind Iíll knock on you door (email) from time to time.
Tom78418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 02:16 PM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlust View Post
Rob,

Thanks so much for your detailed reply!

I would like to know where you go a NET-Port cable?

I have just received an IOT-CANBUS1 ESP32 module. And look to use an ESP32 to create a CAN bus controller. I use Home Assistant now in the Aspire with Video cameras and use ESP to monitor battery voltages and controller LED strips mounted under coach. So excited to move towards CAN bus control and possible integration with Home Assistant.
Thanks, Randy
Hi Randy, I haven't researched the IOT-CANBUS1 ESP32 yet but it sure is an attractive price. Will be a great contribution if you get that one working with RV-C. As your ESP can monitor voltages that is great too because it is something missing right now in my setup.

For the CAN interface I used the PICAN 2 with Switched Mode Power Supply option which is sold by Copperhill Tech in the US. It costs $60, a lot more than the ESP and almost double the cost of the Pi! The nice thing though about the SMPS version is the entire Pi (normally 5 volts) and CAN card can be powered directly from the 12v Net Port - just one cable to plug in for power and data. The SMPS accepts something like 6-30 volts so is perfect for this application where the coach voltage fluctuates. This board was pretty easy to configure and it has been a solid performer. Haven't had a hiccup yet and it's been running without reboot for months.

https://copperhilltech.com/pican2-ca...-pi-with-smps/

The "Net Port" is 4 conductors, +12, Gnd, CAN-H, CAN-L.

The connector that plugs into the "Net Port" on the firefly panel is a 3M 37104-A165-00E you can get it from firefly or assorted other suppliers online. It crimps with a simple pair of pliers, no special tool needed. Wire should be 2 twisted pair 20-22ga data cable. Don't have an alt source for that yet besides firefly. You could probably get away with Cat x cable but the power conductors should ideally be 20 gauge if you are using the PICAN board. On the PICAN 2, there is an easy to use euro type screw terminal block for the CAN and power.

Looking forward to working with you!

Rob
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 02:18 PM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom78418 View Post
voltdoc, Seems we took some of the same paths. I started with BSR before it became known as X10 early on and more recently totally automated our last house with Insteon and Homeseer. We have a casita on an RV Resort lot in Yuma Iíve had fun with automating with Insteon and Alexa, I have been interested in doing some of the same with our RV, but too many projects ahead in line. The project line is thinning now. Actually I was thinking of getting a Raspberry Pi as a hobby diversion, but without a focused project I was concerned it would just take up space. Thanks for your posts, a project is in hand. It has been a long time since I played with a computer at a system level (IMSAI 8080, MITS Altar, etc.) and looking forward getting past APPs and back to the nuts and bolts challenge. If you donít mind Iíll knock on you door (email) from time to time.
Absolutely, please email me your info and I'll add you to the group!
Old 08-03-2019, 06:21 AM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Rob, you have done an outstanding job. We have been looking at new homes and so much of that is configured in new constriction, we were surprise. It will only be a matter of time before it comes to the upper end RV market...vega touch did, I look for it to go one step further in a few years with voice commands.
Chuck, thanks, there are plenty of very inexpensive automation devices for the 120v applications, but frustratingly very little for low voltage systems.

Thankfully RV-C seems to have hit it's stride and is being adopted widely now by most RV equipment manufacturers. As for the Vegatouch, it couldn't exist as you know it if it weren't for the subsystem manufacturers adding RV-C support to their products. It's the RV-C compliant inverters, transfer switches, tank level monitors, fan controllers, lighting systems, shade controllers, HVAC controllers, Aquahot, etc. and of course other Spyder/Firefly modules that make it all possible. The Vegatouch is just the human interface.

The stuff I'm working on is just an alternative to the Vegatouch for those that don't have one but do have RV-C equipment on board. It could also be used as a Vegatouch backup and/or to add capability the Vegatouch does not currently have (such as voice support).

RV-C implementation seems to have been adopted by most RV brands now and is getting deployed even at the lower end. For example my uncle has a 2018 Fleetwood Discovery and believe it or not it has an RV-C implementation equally complete as the newest Entegra's, only difference is it uses the smaller screen LCD version of the Vegatouch. Here's a video of that system deployed on a Thor Palazzo: https://youtu.be/kKVa5NaSIxg. I think the Reatta has a similar RV-C deployment but uses a color 10" screen.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:30 PM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
So far we have two more brave souls that have successfully "hacked" their firefly equipment and are starting to control their lights and shades from alternate devices. Just for general info here's a quick video of what the basic interface looks like (without shades since I don't have them on my coach): https://youtu.be/RviTmI8Akpw

Kudos to Mike Fischer from Coach-Proxy for making all this possible.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:44 AM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdoc View Post
As Cruzer stated the 2013 (we had one) has the G5 Spyder master panel and sspxx switch modules. This system (and all spyder/ firefly) is RV-C based (CAN buss). The switches send data to the master via the CAN which in turn controls the lights (and other if equipped). The RV-C protocol is open source and described in detail by the group in online documents.

You can create a control system by tapping into the CAN (assorted places to do that). I have done it and we use it every day via a smartphone/tablet/desktop "app", or it even interfaces with Alexa (Alexa, set all inside lights to 50%, etc.). It is based on the Coach Proxy system for Tiffins which is now defunct and going open source.

On my system, so far I can control all lights, the aquahot and the locks. Along with a friend with a Cornerstone we have worked out how to control the shades on 2015 and up.

Raspberry Pi based, you need basic computer skills including some linux command line stuff. Plus it's helpful to know some javascript, Perl and basic networking but I have guided others thru the setup. If that sounds like something within your wheelhouse and would like to try contact me via email.
Rob, I'm very interested in the mods you are making and would greatly appreciate seeing and docs you have on how you're doing this if you care to share.
Thank you,
rlwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 04:02 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlwhite View Post
Rob, I'm very interested in the mods you are making and would greatly appreciate seeing and docs you have on how you're doing this if you care to share.

Thank you,

Sign me up as well. I have the HOOBS which is based on Raspberry Pie and just getting into automation. Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:03 PM   #24

Rob, are you able to control the a/c as well? maybe I missed it.
I am also interested in this mod. Part of me agrees with Gary...get off my butt and manually do it but with a pet on board and us away, there may be more value for us.
Thanks.
Tom
2017 Jeep JKU
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:48 AM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevandtomH View Post
I am also interested in this mod. Part of me agrees with Gary...get off my butt and manually do it but with a pet on board and us away, there may be more value for us.
Thanks.
Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevandtomH View Post
Thanks.
Tom
Tom, no, sorry. the HVAC is high on my want-to-do list, but will probably require reverse engineering the presumably proprietary 2 wire network communications between the thermostat and the roof AC units. With the right equipment (which I don't have) it might be fairly straightforward to decipher the command structure. I know someone that did it but they seem to be unwilling to share. Once deciphered an interface would need to be designed and constructed.

Another option might be hacking or replacing the controller itself which is on the roof in the AC units. Firefly makes an "AirCon" interface (see page 24 in the catalog) but again that's only half the solution and when I inquired about those, I was told by Firefly they aren't compatible with the version of the Coleman AC units I have on my 2017.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:03 AM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
For anyone interested you can follow my "cookbook" to hack into your RV-C network and control whatever systems your coach supports on the RV-C. For non-VegaTouch coaches this will primarily be lighting and power shades (if you have them). For coaches with Vega Touch most everything on the coach is connected to the RV-C so the possibilities are more complete.

Additional info can also be found on Mike Fischer's (Coach Proxy) GitHub. Mike has been making a lot of the core code for Coach proxy open source:

My document will be of help to get the hardware procured and configured. And perhaps assist with the software if you are a new to Linux. It is also more Entegra specific.

Mike's GitHub has the latest and greatest code and other software resources.

I have also set up a Slack Workspace to more easily share info and exchange ideas. Click on my Avatar and send me an email (not PM) with your email and I will send you an invite. The invite will come from myERVIN.com.

Tags
entegra, light