Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2016, 11:20 AM   #57
G&J

Entegra Owners Club
Interim solution to remote

Hi Gary
I'm so glad that other people admin they have the same problems, as I was starting to think I was on a one man crusade. I have already ordered the new replacement equipment for the BOSE system and I will be installing this shortly after my return with full video details. A short term fix to some of your problems is as follows:

On the equipment behind the fireplace flap you will see small red plastic diodes which are the IP repeaters. you will need to pry these off as these have been stuck in the wrong place (which is why they don't work very well) Then shine the light of a fairly powerful torch into the plastic front cover and you should see clearly the sensor for the IR. I think the sensor for the BOSE is on the far left about mid point and for DVD about half way up under one of the buttons (it's trial & error with the DVD player as it doesn't have a display). These IR repeater do not work very well with the flap open as so either cover the back of the sensor with foil tape or insulating tape (the part that faces you as you look at it) or keep the door closed. This will at least make the remote work properly.
I think what peevs me the most about this sort of thing is that we are sold this "attention to detail" story and this is just one example where little or no thought at all has been given to this area. Wouldn't you have thought that someone would have tested this sort of thing thoroughly? After all it's not rocket science. Why couldn't someone at least sick the IR transmitters in the right place, it really is slap dash!

When I get my system sorted I'll publish for all to see, then we should all ask Joyce for the reimbursement cost of a system that works

Glenn
G&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2016, 11:53 AM   #58

Entegra Owners Club
As for the outside TV, I keep mine unplugged at all times unless I am watching it. That way it cannot turn on by mistake, and even when off, it still draws some power which is not something you want when running off batteries.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 12:54 PM   #59

Entegra Owners Club
Glenn and Gary,
Your discussion on the TV IR thing is very interesting. Our main TV went Poof three weeks ago ...why, who knows .... Entegra did allow us to go to Best Buy and purchase a Samsung replacement and JR from NIRVC hooked it up for us at March fest. Long story, I know ... but we have had a time getting the remote to work and we thought it was just us. Prior - we always kept the front open and it would work. JR put the diode thingy on the receiver and we were able to use the remote with the door closed ... for a couple days. Now, we are back at having a heck of a time with even the door open. I think we are going to remove the diode and see if we can at least get back to where we were! So, Glenn and Gary ... do you have the red diode thingy actually attached anywhere? Thanks, Lynn
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 04:05 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
Glenn and Gary,
Your discussion on the TV IR thing is very interesting. Our main TV went Poof three weeks ago ...why, who knows .... Entegra did allow us to go to Best Buy and purchase a Samsung replacement and JR from NIRVC hooked it up for us at March fest. Long story, I know ... but we have had a time getting the remote to work and we thought it was just us. Prior - we always kept the front open and it would work. JR put the diode thingy on the receiver and we were able to use the remote with the door closed ... for a couple days. Now, we are back at having a heck of a time with even the door open. I think we are going to remove the diode and see if we can at least get back to where we were! So, Glenn and Gary ... do you have the red diode thingy actually attached anywhere? Thanks, Lynn
Lynn, I had to move "the little diode thingy" On our dvr to get it to work. I would move it around on your receiver and see if that doesn't solve your problem. I have our direct tv remote set up on RF so I don't mess with IR on the receiver. Noel
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 04:12 PM   #61
G&J

Entegra Owners Club
Diodes

The IR system does work correctly IF the diodes are in the correct place. The BOSE system is easy as you can see where the receivers diode is through the plastic display. The DVD player is tricky as you have to keep moving it whilst pressing the remote until you find the sweet spot. You will need to either cover the back of the diodes or close the flap. If you can't sort this out I'll be back in a couple of weeks and can take some pictures for you of the position of the diodes.

G
Old 03-20-2016, 04:17 PM   #62

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks Noel and Glenn ... we will be back at the MH tomorrow morning. I'll try moving it around some.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:30 PM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
A simple solution to the no lights issue on the dvd might be to just buy a new 4k bluray player ?

While I have the opposite issue at home with too many blu lights staring back at me in the media room - I fixed it with black electrical tape on most of them !!!

even 3D is available in the $150 range from Sony...
or $175 for 3d and media storage!

Our 4k 70" at home with 4k netflix looks stunning... even regular dvd's looks great with the upscaling.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:04 AM   #64
G&J

Entegra Owners Club
DVD 4K

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
A simple solution to the no lights issue on the dvd might be to just buy a new 4k bluray player ?

While I have the opposite issue at home with too many blu lights staring back at me in the media room - I fixed it with black electrical tape on most of them !!!

even 3D is available in the $150 range from Sony...
or $175 for 3d and media storage!

Our 4k 70" at home with 4k netflix looks stunning... even regular dvd's looks great with the upscaling.

I think you will find that there is only one UHD 4K DVD player available on the market at the moment which is made by Samsung: Samsung UBD-K8500 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player which is in the region of $400. The rest are all upscaling. So if you think your picture is good now wait till you see true UHD 4K. Mind blowing !

There are several other makes hitting the market every month now so soon you will have your choice.

G
Old 03-21-2016, 09:15 AM   #65

Glenn

I took the opportunity yesterday to read through a bunch of reviews about 4K televisions and the consistent opinion of my reviewers who have examined them is that there is very little improvement, some say virtually no noticeable improvement, on 4K televisions at this point on the currently available television signals. Now, my understanding is that if you can find a 4K DVD and a 4K movie actually filmed to take advantage of the 4K format, then you see some incremental improvement, but for the current state of the art, all of the reviewers that I read said that there was very little improvement to be seen.

Maybe I am reading old reviews and current status has changed.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:56 AM   #66

Entegra Owners Club
Here's my problem with 4K tv. The older I get, the worse my eyesight, so now my vision is down to "720p" but the tv's are now at 4K! It's all just wasted on me!!
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:30 PM   #67

Monaco Owners Club
Gary,
you may be right in that it's probably not worthwhile just to replace, but to wait until you MUST replace as I did...
Our Master BR tv went out and so the 'small' 60" Main tv went to MBR and the new 70" went in it's place...

And so I guess I did buy the bluray prematurely as now that I look closer my sony IS upscaling to 4k :(
Old 03-21-2016, 12:38 PM   #68

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowabeachbum View Post
Here's my problem with 4K tv. The older I get, the worse my eyesight, so now my vision is down to "720p" but the tv's are now at 4K! It's all just wasted on me!!
X2
Old 03-22-2016, 02:45 AM   #69
G&J

Entegra Owners Club
4K TV

Hi Gary
I think that the best way to understand 4K is to go to a good outlet (even Best Buy) that have a working display of 4K. A 4K TV has 4 times the pixels than a standard HD TV and the ONLY way you will get any benefit from enjoying your 4K TV is to watch 4K content. 4K is referred to now as UHD (Ultra High Definition) and the difference in what you see is incredible. So for those who say they can't really see any different are obviously not watching true UHD 4K. Now in time to come there will be a lot more broadcast in 4K and 4K DVD (of which there are currently only a handful of titles) will become common place.
Just think back to when CD's first arrived on the scene, people who didn't have one (or probably could't afford one) all said "there's no difference between a record & a cd, they sound the same" And the only CD available (in the UK) was Dire Straights.

So it's all a matter of choice, I have always been one that wants the best I can afford and also one that "if it's installed, then it's got to work and work properly.

Glenn
Old 03-22-2016, 05:14 AM   #70

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by G&J View Post
Hi Gary
A 4K TV has 4 times the pixels than a standard HD TV and the ONLY way you will get any benefit from enjoying your 4K TV is to watch 4K content.
I disagree with that statement. Between my RV and my two stick homes, I own more than a dozen HD TVs and one 4K TV. The 4K has a noticeably better and sharper picture using the exact same non-4K signal source (DirecTV). I was not expecting this when I bought the 4K. I thought that I was only future-proofing my purchase, but I was surprised at how much better the picture is, even with regular HD content. This is because all 4K TVs have built-in upscaling that converts the HD picture to quasi-4K. Upscaling really works! I find myself going to the 4K room to watch rather than using another of the TVs. Obviously a true 4K source would look even better, but 4K TVs have benefits even without 4K content.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote