RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2013, 04:53 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Entegra - Six Months Today Full Time

Six months ago today, we picked up our Anthem DEQ in Orlando. We've been full timing for six months; thought I might jot down a few things we learned over that time for those thinking about Entegra, an Anthem, and/or full timing. Hope I don't bore. But before I start a list...when you pick up your coach...get rid of the starry eyes quickly and go into inspection mode, learning mode, and demanding mode. It is unlikely that your highest priority is your dealers', and you are at your second most vulnerable time (the first was when you fell in love with it and started dealing with the salesman). You want to know as much as you can stuff in your head and you want to inspect to the finest detail and document (and make sure you have a signed copy). Avoids questions later.

1) We quickly transitioned from 10-12 hour workdays to not working.
2) I cringed at the thought of how much annual salary we were walking away from; while funds are tighter, we're doing better than I could have hoped. On the other hand, we're spending more than I expected...usually associated with visits to kids houses.
3) We don't eat out as much as we used to; maybe once every two weeks.
4) We don't feed on burgers when on the road; that's what the fridge is for...sandwiches that taste better anyway.
5) We didn't have a problem slowing down (not doing the tourist thing). We've put 7000 miles on the coach, but many of those miles were due to family pulls and the need to work a few warrantee things with the coach and the chassis.
6) Your going to have things that need to be fixed...period...if you go into this thinking "...I'm spending $300K...I shouldn't have any of "these" issues...", forget it or don't enter the game. This isn't a six cylinder, stick shift $15K car...and they have problems too.
7) EVERYTHING I heard about Entegra Customer Service is true...and this isn't schedule an appointment, take it to Red Bay and set in the park, and pray. If you haven't got a local service agent, you can count on Middlebury and Charlotte (Spartan). You can count on Entegra to make it right, at their site or with your local service agent.
8) You can free style it and pick places to stop at while you're on the go; you can plan it out to infinite detail. We fall somewhere in between, because we try to find desirable places to spend two to three weeks in one place. You most likely will want to identify where you want to Winter fairly quickly and study the forum to find a place that sounds like what you're looking for; ask questions of other campers. It gets expensive quickly for campgrounds for less than a month in the prime Winter areas and the nicer campgrounds.
9) You can be as social or as private as you want in the campground. I have not seen nearly the list of or the magnitude of bad behaviors in campgrounds that another long thread suggests.
10) You need about 50% of what you think you do. I dumped about 400 lbs at the 4 month point. I have space in my basement. On the other hand, I am possessed with rearranging the basement to try to find the optimum pack out; as DW is with topside.
11) Whoever said you only need to wash a coach once a year must really have a crummy looking coach. Unless you purchase some type of spotless system plan to clean by hand (and you'll likely want to do it at least twice a month).
12) We don't need a 1.5 bath coach. One bath is fine, and we really appreciate the additional living area.
13) We have carpets on top of our tile and I'm glad we do. Ours happen to be hand made in Iran and Turkey and they give our coach a bit of our personality.
14) I traded my Eurolounger for my easy chair and I'm glad I did. We don't use the "L" out in the L-shaped couch. Of course, the dog owns the couch anyway.
15) I am disappointed in my Girard awnings...they are nice, but the damn wind seems to allows blow just enough and gusty enough to not trust the wind sensor to get them back in before they get damaged. And the wind blows more than you think.
16) I'd like to have different windows that open and allow fresh air in easier. I'd like to have more control over my window shades, day and might, individually.
17) There are some fantastic sights to see, and they aren't all on the coast, at Grand Canyon or Yellowstone, or near theme parks.
18) Take a driving course. Take a chassis course if offered. Try to learn as much about your coach as you can, because in the end, you're probably going to have to handle a wrench or screwdriver to move down the road.

I am winding down so I'll say perhaps the most important thing I have learned...I LOVE MY ENTEGRA COACH. I can't compare it to any other coach, having no experience with the others. This is our first. We were committed and "all in". The only reason I can imagine it not being our last coach is if we were to upgrade...but I can't imagine what could be out there that we would want or need, because we have it in this coach. It drives like a dream (the IFS), it lives like a home, and it provides, through full timing, a new life that we needed at this stage.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2013, 11:53 PM   #2

Excellent post Dave. Glad you are enjoying it as much as you thought and hoped you would. We love our coach, and like all coaches would like to change a few things, but not bad enough to buy a Newell. LOL LOL LOL
Old 06-29-2013, 06:49 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Great post. I don't full-time but your post is very interesting nonetheless. If there is one thing I most dislike about the Entegra coach it is your #16, windows and shades. I like the awning-style windows for rain-free ventilation but I don't know why the openings have to be so small. And the shades should be individually adjustable.

There are a number of other small things that bug me but this would be true on any coach. Customer service has been very responsive. All in all the Anthem is very impressive.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:34 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks so much for sharing! We are just starting our 4th year on the road and looking at trading up to an Anthem or a Tour next summer. I've really been admiring the Anthem's girard awnings so it's interesting to hear they're not as awesome as I've been anticipating. I'm also a bit apprehensive of the windows now being installed and your post affirmed my thoughts... they look gorgeous from the outside but I like a good breeze and am not sure if the fans with windows open ventilate as good as our current old school windows. Finally, I was thinking that the L shaped couch would bring DH & I back to sitting together (snuggling???) in front of the TV vs. our current setup where he's across the room in his lazyboy while I stretch out on the couch.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and opinions with us all... we do love our current coach but the sparkle of the new ones keeps sucking us in and it's good to shop without the rose colored glasses on!
Old 06-29-2013, 11:56 PM   #5

Mark, you are right on! I think the small window openings and the electric shades need to be addressed at the factory level. I understand why the front, enormously large, window should be electric but I would be considerably less frustrated if the rest of the coach were individual.
RARN is offline   Reply With Quote