Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-06-2018, 07:07 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
MoHoGo's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,347
Entegra Solar Option Question

Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar Controller.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	197989

A question on the Sun Saver Duo controller for the solar option on my Entegra Anthem. The remote display above the entrance door seems to get hung up and only displays the number 26. If I unplug the modular cable from the controller in the basement the remote display in the attached pic will read correctly for battery one (this should be the house battery) but as soon as I press the right arrow button the display locks up again and reads 26. I do not seem to have the ability to read the chassis battery as it just displays --.

Went to the basement and I noticed that on the sun saver duo controller that I see 5 heavy gauge wires. According to the instructions the first red/black pair are from the house batteries. The second red/black pair are from the solar panels. And, the third pair of terminals should be from the chassis batteries, however, on my unit there is only the red wire. The terminal where the black wire from the chassis battery is empty. My thinking is that this could be why it is not reading (duh). What I can't understand is how Entegra would just miss this wire during assembly. I do not see another heavy gauge wire in the area that seems to be looking for a home.

If anyone has a chance to take a similar pic and post it or if anyone can just look at their controller in the basement and tell me if they have a black wire in position six I would appreciate it.
__________________
Jim & Clatie
2017 Anthem 44A, 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Blue Ox Avail, M&G Braking
MoHoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2018, 11:03 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
777 Driver's Avatar


 
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,627
Hi Jim,

Sorry that I can't help you with a photo of mine. It's in storage 35 miles away.

I do have the user's manual, though, which clearly substantiates your observation:

Click image for larger version

Name:	SunSaver Duo.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	256.5 KB
ID:	198025

There is one statement that you made that I'm not sure about, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoHoGo View Post
And, the third pair of terminals should be from the chassis batteries, however, on my unit there is only the red wire. The terminal where the black wire from the chassis battery is empty.
To the best of my understanding, the solar option only provides trickle charge to both sets of house batteries. As I understand it, there's no charge to the chassis batteries from the solar panels.

Still, it certainly does seem that you're missing one black (negative) wire connection.

Again, sorry that I can't provide a picture of mine for you.

Take care,
Stu
__________________
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned."
2018 Anthem 42DEQ
777 Driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 11:39 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
MxChief66-1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoHoGo View Post
Attachment 197989

A question on the Sun Saver Duo controller for the solar option on my Entegra Anthem. The remote display above the entrance door seems to get hung up and only displays the number 26. If I unplug the modular cable from the controller in the basement the remote display in the attached pic will read correctly for battery one (this should be the house battery) but as soon as I press the right arrow button the display locks up again and reads 26. I do not seem to have the ability to read the chassis battery as it just displays --.

Went to the basement and I noticed that on the sun saver duo controller that I see 5 heavy gauge wires. According to the instructions the first red/black pair are from the house batteries. The second red/black pair are from the solar panels. And, the third pair of terminals should be from the chassis batteries, however, on my unit there is only the red wire. The terminal where the black wire from the chassis battery is empty. My thinking is that this could be why it is not reading (duh). What I can't understand is how Entegra would just miss this wire during assembly. I do not see another heavy gauge wire in the area that seems to be looking for a home.

If anyone has a chance to take a similar pic and post it or if anyone can just look at their controller in the basement and tell me if they have a black wire in position six I would appreciate it.


Did you get the manual for the remote that shows you how to move through the layered menus? If not they are available on Morningstarís website under the support tab. It also has a BIT included. The controller on mine is identical to yours. I am concerned about the dip switch settings on mine. I will need to verify with EC.

Mark
__________________
Mark & Deanna
2016 Anthem 44B with HWH Active Air
2017 1500 Longhorn/2009 HD Ultra Hydralift
MxChief66-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 01:04 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
777 Driver's Avatar


 
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,627
Here's a copy of the SunSaver Duo manual showing the dip switch settings:

Click image for larger version

Name:	SunSaver Duo Dip Switch.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	281.8 KB
ID:	198046

Again, I can't confirm the settings on mine (in storage 35 miles away).

Take care,
Stu
__________________
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned."
2018 Anthem 42DEQ
777 Driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 02:06 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
MoHoGo's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
Hi Jim,

Sorry that I can't help you with a photo of mine. It's in storage 35 miles away.

I do have the user's manual, though, which clearly substantiates your observation:

Attachment 198025

There is one statement that you made that I'm not sure about, though.



To the best of my understanding, the solar option only provides trickle charge to both sets of house batteries. As I understand it, there's no charge to the chassis batteries from the solar panels.

Still, it certainly does seem that you're missing one black (negative) wire connection.

Again, sorry that I can't provide a picture of mine for you.

Take care,
Stu
Stu, you bring up an interesting point on the solar not charging the chassis batteries. Maybe Entegra is splitting the solar charger between each pair of the L16's. The SunSaver Duo is supposed to have an internal common ground. But that just adds to the confusion since the menu setting is on the 90 / 10 setting which the manual indicates for RV's sends 90% to the house batteries (on the first pair of outputs) and only 10% to the chassis batteries on the 3rd pair of terminals. The 90/10 thing make sense as it would help with the parasitic draw on the house battery. But, if they split between the two banks of L16's this would not be good.

According to the manual for the unit all dip switches should be off (down position) and I did confirm it was that way on mine.

Mike in Entegra CS is checking with Morningstar on the issue of the remote locking up and displaying 26 when I go through the menu's so maybe he will come up with some reason.
__________________
Jim & Clatie
2017 Anthem 44A, 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Blue Ox Avail, M&G Braking
MoHoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 03:43 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
777 Driver's Avatar


 
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoHoGo View Post
Stu, you bring up an interesting point on the solar not charging the chassis batteries. Maybe Entegra is splitting the solar charger between each pair of the L16's.
Hi Jim,

On page 125 of the 2018 Comprehensive User Guide, under the "Solar Power" section, it states: "The solar panel provides "trickle" charge to the house batteries when there is ambient light."

Also, on page 96 of the Anthem 2018 Owner's Manual, under "SOLAR PANEL (IF SO EQUIPPED)", it states: "Energy produced by the solar panel(s) is used to trickle charge the house auxiliary batteries."

My demo tech cover a lot of things and I remember quite a bit of it. It does seem that I recall a short discussion about the solar and he gave me the impression that only the house batteries were charged.

I'm still in a steep learning curve, so don't go to the bank with anything you get for free from me.

Take care,
Stu
__________________
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned."
2018 Anthem 42DEQ
777 Driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 04:46 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: BC
Posts: 164
If you have the latest sunsaver it will handle up to 25 amps, about 500 watts of solar panels.
Depending on what panels you have will determine how much each battery gets
You only need one ground so that is ok
You can also program custom charge perameters with a laptop
Don't know about your remote problem
I have two sunsaver in parallel hookup and they are awesome
__________________
1999 Winnebago Chieftain
1992 Jeep YJ
1984 Harley Liberty edition
jporietis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:26 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
777 Driver's Avatar


 
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoHoGo View Post

If anyone has a chance to take a similar pic and post it or if anyone can just look at their controller in the basement and tell me if they have a black wire in position six I would appreciate it.
Hi Jim,

I visited my 2018 Anthem today and had a chance to snap a photo of my controller:

Click image for larger version

Name:	SunSensor Duo.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	198452

Mine looks to be wired just like yours.

Take care,
Stu
__________________
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned."
2018 Anthem 42DEQ
777 Driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:43 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
MxChief66-1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 498
Entegra Solar Option Question

It appears from the three pics on this post we have 2 maybe 3 different dip switch configurations. Assuming Iím wired to both house (sealed) and chassis (flooded) the 1 & 2 switch positions make sense. Not familiar enough to know why the other switches would be set differently.

Iíd appreciate it if other 16 anthem owners could verify and post their settings. Thanks!

Mark

[ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2917.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	428.2 KB
ID:	198497  
__________________
Mark & Deanna
2016 Anthem 44B with HWH Active Air
2017 1500 Longhorn/2009 HD Ultra Hydralift
MxChief66-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:20 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
777 Driver's Avatar


 
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by MxChief66-1 View Post
Assuming I’m wired to both house (sealed) and chassis (flooded) the 1 & 2 switch positions make sense. Not familiar enough to know why the other switches would be set differently.
Hi Mark,

It does look like your Dip switches are set like mine (1, 3, 4, 5 down; 2 up). If I understand correctly, that makes sense, too in order that the solar panels are set to charge both house (sealed) and chassis (flooded).

HOWEVER, as I indicated in a prior post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post

On page 125 of the 2018 Comprehensive User Guide, under the "Solar Power" section, it states: "The solar panel provides "trickle" charge to the house batteries when there is ambient light."

Also, on page 96 of the Anthem 2018 Owner's Manual, under "SOLAR PANEL (IF SO EQUIPPED)", it states: "Energy produced by the solar panel(s) is used to trickle charge the house auxiliary batteries."
The provided documentation for the coach seems to suggest that only the house batteries (sealed) are charged.

So, I'm a little confused.

The DIP switches make it look like both house and chassis batteries are charged. The documentation seems to suggest only the house batteries are charged.

Take care,
Stu
__________________
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned."
2018 Anthem 42DEQ
777 Driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:36 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
MxChief66-1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 498
Entegra Solar Option Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
Hi Mark,

It does look like your Dip switches are set like mine (1, 3, 4, 5 down; 2 up). If I understand correctly, that makes sense, too in order that the solar panels are set to charge both house (sealed) and chassis (flooded).

HOWEVER, as I indicated in a prior post:



The provided documentation for the coach seems to suggest that only the house batteries (sealed) are charged.

So, I'm a little confused.

The DIP switches make it look like both house and chassis batteries are charged. The documentation seems to suggest only the house batteries are charged.

Take care,
Stu


Stu,

Agreed, even my owners manual refers to ďhouse auxiliary batteries ď. My guess would be #2 dip switch is incorrect.

I guess Iíll need to contact customer service to get some ground truth!

[ATTACH]

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2918.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	357.4 KB
ID:	198510  
__________________
Mark & Deanna
2016 Anthem 44B with HWH Active Air
2017 1500 Longhorn/2009 HD Ultra Hydralift
MxChief66-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:17 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
777 Driver's Avatar


 
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,627
Hi Mark,

I look forward to you sharing what you find out.

For me, my Anthem is so new to me that I'm still learning, a lot.

I am scheduled for the Spartan Academy in early June. As I understand, one day of that class is dedicated to Entegra specific systems. Further, that class will be in the first several weeks of a planned three month time in the coach, giving me adequate time to continue my familiarization process. Also, we're attending the FMCA Convention in Gillette. Likely another opportunity to chat with knowledgeable folks.

I'm optimistic that by the time I put it away in September, I'll have a much better understanding of how the solar system works.

Take care,
Stu
__________________
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned."
2018 Anthem 42DEQ
777 Driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:03 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
MoHoGo's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,347
Update

I keep dogging this issue, but still find that the remote is locking up as I try to advance through the menus. Also finding that on the main module that I have no voltage reading on the third pair of terminals that should be the chassis battery.

Called Entegra EC last week and sent a follow up email this morning to see if they have any further info from Morningstar.

Thanks for everyone's input and pic's. I hear what some are saying about only charging house batteries, but that just does not make sense as the Morningstar system is capable of doing both battery banks.

Weather is improving today so may run some additional checks. If I can find an RJ11 modular cable with all six conductors pinned out I may pull the controller and take it to the basement and see what it does.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
Hi Jim,

I visited my 2018 Anthem today and had a chance to snap a photo of my controller:

Attachment 198452

Mine looks to be wired just like yours.

Take care,
Stu
__________________
Jim & Clatie
2017 Anthem 44A, 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Blue Ox Avail, M&G Braking
MoHoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:08 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
MxChief66-1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 498
Entegra Solar Option Question

[QUOTE=MoHoGo;4131786]Thanks for everyone's input and pic's. I hear what some are saying about only charging house batteries, but that just does not make sense as the Morningstar system is capable of doing both battery banks.

Jim


Jim, Iím no expert on Solar, in fact their are members on here that Iím sure have forgotten more about it than I will ever know. With that said while I agree the controller is capable of managing both sets of batteries, I believe the Limfac are the solar panels, and because of this EC made the decision to manage house batteries only on the 16 Anthems.

On the outside chance Iím correct it would mean my dip switches are not set correctly. While I donít intend to ever rely on this system I do want to make sure itís setup and working correctly before my factory warranty ends.

Mark
__________________
Mark & Deanna
2016 Anthem 44B with HWH Active Air
2017 1500 Longhorn/2009 HD Ultra Hydralift
MxChief66-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
entegra, solar



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help finding an Entegra RV with Euro Chair Option? jpanos Entegra Owner's Forum 9 10-13-2015 05:39 PM
Option solar prep wiring jimbo2013 Newmar Owner's Forum 5 09-11-2014 12:10 PM
Solar Option on 2003 Executive bobcovey Monaco Owner's Forum 5 06-29-2014 05:03 AM
Need pix of Entegra w/ DS hide-a-bed & dinette booth option harleyman88 Entegra Owner's Forum 74 01-25-2014 05:24 PM
Is the diesel 'option' still an option? rough road iRV2.com General Discussion 9 03-26-2011 11:05 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.