Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2012, 10:15 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Entegra speed and mileage

Ive seen a thread here on mpg. Just curious tho what speed do you typically drive? Mpg? Towing?
tnrzryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #2

We generally stay at the 62-64 range pulling an F150 and get over 7 mpg. However, I have got in a hurry a few times, stepped it up to 70 and fuel mileage does not seem to drop off all that much. On our previous coach with an 500hp ISM Cummins I would loose at least 1-1.5 mpg if I got over 65. With all the variables (wind, hills,traffic and road conditions) I may just not have enough miles on this one yet to make that comparison fair. Besides, the older I get, the less I am in a hurry and just relax and enjoy the scenery. All just my opinion.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #3

I typically drive 68-75mph and am in the 7.5mpg - 8.2mpg range with no toad. When I slow it down to 62-65 I'm in the 9.5mpg range.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:38 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
How much fuel do you account for when using the genset and aqua hot? In my previous coach, I allowed .5 gals per hour on the genset. Didn't have aqua hot so when my New Entegra comes in, I'll need to figure out how to measure fuel usage with the AH. I Only keep track of these numbers because it's fun to do so. The X bank auditor in me coming out!
Old 06-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RISCKY View Post
I typically drive 68-75mph and am in the 7.5mpg - 8.2mpg range with no toad. When I slow it down to 62-65 I'm in the 9.5mpg range.
WOW! Is that with a big tailwind driving downhill? I would think anything in the 9 range is fantastic.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:32 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I married an accountant so every gallon of fuel used and mile traveled is logged. We have traveled 16,000 miles with the coach, pulling a dinghy all over the country. We are getting 7.4 mpg overall. I generally travel 65 to 70. I found that our onboard computer is about a half a mile per gallon optimistic on fuel mileage. This overall number does include the aqua hot and generator, both of which are not used very much.
Gary
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowabeachbum View Post
I married an accountant so every gallon of fuel used and mile traveled is logged. We have traveled 16,000 miles with the coach, pulling a dinghy all over the country. We are getting 7.4 mpg overall. I generally travel 65 to 70. I found that our onboard computer is about a half a mile per gallon optimistic on fuel mileage. This overall number does include the aqua hot and generator, both of which are not used very much.
Gary
So how do you measure aqua hot usage?
Old 06-26-2012, 03:14 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowabeachbum View Post
Gary
This accountant is wondering if that half mile given by the optimistic computer is a result of the the aqua hot and generator. Our last coach had the diesel aqua hot. With the generator and air running in the summer, we saw a little less than half mile/gallon difference. And we were usually only running one A/C unit. Since we have an Aspire coming, I'm anxious to see what will happen with our LP tank when we run the aqua hot.

One other factor that I think is worth a mention is the cruise control. My husband is a slower driver than I am but rarely uses the cruise. I drive faster but use cruise whenever possible. And I usually ended up getting more miles per gallon than he did. Just think what I could do if I'd just slow down and use the cruise!
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #9

I would guess that the .5 mpg difference on the computer is not all of the difference with the generator and aqua hot running. The aqua hot really uses very little diesel, likely in the .1 gph range and the gen set pulling one ac will almost surely use less than .5gph which would be a lot less than .5 mpg. All just my opinion and experience.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:43 PM   #10

Based on frequent boondocking for a couple days at a time, and frequently running the gen; it seems that the gen certainly drinks more diesel than what you guys are discussing. Again, this comment is based on nothing more than simply watching the fuel guage. I would be very interested in knowing what the accountants actually derive
Old 06-26-2012, 10:15 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RISCKY View Post
Based on frequent boondocking for a couple days at a time, and frequently running the gen; it seems that the gen certainly drinks more diesel than what you guys are discussing. Again, this comment is based on nothing more than simply watching the fuel guage. I would be very interested in knowing what the accountants actually derive
Ok, let's see if I can add something more to this discussion. According to the Onan owners manual Cummins Onan page 5.1, fuel usage depends on load:

No load = .11 gph
Half load = .48 gph
Full load = 1.2 gph

It's anyone's guess how each of these is to be interpreted. In the past, if I was motoring down the road using the generator to power a couple A/Cs or heat pumps, I averaged it all out and used .50 gph in my fuel calcs.

One of my earlier questions is still out there - how do you determine gph for the aqua hot?
Old 06-26-2012, 11:10 PM   #12

I just used the claimed figures on the aqua hot website. They claim that at continuous useage it will use an average of .15gph. In my real life useage it is hard to figure that close so I was just taking their word for it. I KNOW it does not use a lot as mine sat all winter one year in a cold for Oklahoma winter and for four months including about 150 miles of driving only used 45 gallons and I kept it at 65 degrees so it really ran quite a bit. All just guesses and approximations but still, I know it did not use an excessive amount, just no idea of really what it was using per hour, did not keep good enough records on days and hours between fill ups to have reliable, accurate figures. Sorry.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:47 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
As far as the 1/2 mile is concerned, I don't really know why and it may not be that much. As most know it is very difficult to come up with any accurate mpg over 1 or 2 tank fills but I did notice over 3 or 4 fills, my wife's numbers didn't match what I was tracking on the dash. We don't really use the aqua-hot or generator that much. The generator currently has less than 60 hrs on it (mostly because of exercising it). I haven't checked the computer numbers in a while since watching the mpg constantly can drive you crazy and for me that's a really short putt!!
Gary
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:51 AM   #14

6.9 mpg. 65-75mph. Headwind. Texas to S. Dakota. Aqua hot was not working. No tow.