Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2022, 11:04 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgkoontz1 View Post
Deleted until the government can get their collective crap together
You might be waiting a long time or at least until we can get those currently in power out.
ChadBounder is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2022, 03:51 PM   #44

For what it is worth, ex diesel mechanic of 45 years.
First,Spartan chose the def head, not Cummins.
Second, talking with my friend, maintenance supervisor at a large , nationwide truck leasing company, they determined the culprit to be overheating of the def head by the coolant supplied to heat the def 5o prevent freezing in cold weather.
They installed shut off valves on both supply and return coolant lines, and good results.
Something to keep in mind.
Rob1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2022, 08:45 PM   #45

With all of the discussions about DEF heads, I thought it may be of interest for some to see what a new unit from Spartan looks like. This one is for my 2016 Athem and it measures 22" from the top mounting surface to the bottom. Cost direct from Spartan was $684.99 including tax and shipping to Denver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New DEF Head.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	420.5 KB
ID:	366485  
Old 05-24-2022, 09:00 PM   #46
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Exclamation

THREAD WARNING!

Don't drag political commentary into this thread. You all know it's against site Rules. If you find your post deleted, you know why.
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2022, 09:11 PM   #47

Keep up the good work Lori !!!!

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2022, 04:59 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02trader View Post
With all of the discussions about DEF heads, I thought it may be of interest for some to see what a new unit from Spartan looks like. This one is for my 2016 Athem and it measures 22" from the top mounting surface to the bottom. Cost direct from Spartan was $684.99 including tax and shipping to Denver.

Looks like they are making all the new DEF heads with the Deutsch connector and supplying an adapter back to the old style round Delphi plug that the 2017 and prior were built with. Does that mean that the new heads all come with the "quality" sensors even though they are not used for reporting on the 2017 and prior?
Magic-carpet is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2022, 06:52 AM   #49

Magic-Carpet

Does that mean that the new heads all come with the "quality" sensors even though they are not used for reporting on the 2017 and prior?

According to the Cummins tech, this is correct. The new head I received was set up to measure DEF quality...not just temp and quantity.
Old 05-25-2022, 07:35 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMOMMO View Post
Environmental rules are subject to cost benefit analysis.
Example for heavy duty diesel emissions is in the link below.

If you live somewhere without effective emission controls on vehicles and trucks you would be shocked to see what the air is like. I just moved back to the USA and do not miss the days when the "Airpocolypse" rolls in and the pollution is so bad you have to stay inside with your air purifiers.

This isn't the fault of the EPA that Cummins and Spartan made DEF heads that don't work and apparently it isn't the fault of the EPA that the speed restriction is 5mph either.

https://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyNET.exe/...yEntry=1&slide

Dear , vmommo.
You need to understand that Nicola Tesla made automobile on electric power and he gather that power from thin air we have everywhere. That vehicle made no pollution ( except grease and other lubricants that were on that auto) .
But Henry Ford made all nowadays pollution possible with internal combustion motors.
Today's Elon Mask make another hazard with those batteries that create pollution in manufacturing and disposal process ,,, but everyone praises Mask cause he makes profit for everyone involved.

Those battery powered stinkers are tomorrow raving topic to pollution discussion.

EPA exists to collect fines , not to cure problem.
Old 05-25-2022, 10:44 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatyanka View Post
Dear , vmommo.
You need to understand that Nicola Tesla made automobile on electric power and he gather that power from thin air we have everywhere. That vehicle made no pollution ( except grease and other lubricants that were on that auto) .
But Henry Ford made all nowadays pollution possible with internal combustion motors.
Today's Elon Mask make another hazard with those batteries that create pollution in manufacturing and disposal process ,,, but everyone praises Mask cause he makes profit for everyone involved.

Those battery powered stinkers are tomorrow raving topic to pollution discussion.

EPA exists to collect fines , not to cure problem.

Tesla didn't create the electric car.
Henry Ford didn't invent the internal combustion engine
Battery production does create pollution, so does the manufacture of many other things. Oil extraction, shipping and refining also create pollution (and spills).
Musk mostly made money for Musk, Tesla only recently turned a profit.
The EPA was created in 1970 and signed into law by Nixon. They have done a lot to make the environment better.
Businesses (think Banks, BP, Boeing) seem to do a poor job of self regulating but fines do seem to get their attention.
The DEF head problem will probably get fixed when some lawyers get involved and there is a large class action lawsuit which at the end the lawyers will get 5 billion dollars in legal fees and you will get a coupon for $100 off your next purchase from Spartan or whoever.
VMOMMO is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2022, 05:57 AM   #52

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMOMMO View Post
The DEF head problem will probably get fixed when some lawyers get involved and there is a large class action lawsuit which at the end the lawyers will get 5 billion dollars in legal fees and you will get a coupon for $100 off your next purchase from Spartan or whoever.
That is the most truthful statement regarding DEF heads, outside of the DEF simulators I have seen posted. It has been a year and half since I filed my first complaint with govt agencies. The only help I have received have been instructions for the DEF simulator from this forum.
With millions of dollars lost in the trucking industry because of failed DEF heads, the govt issues another 5 year delay program instead of a mandatory fix. I am sure if huge fines or jail time was put on the DEF head manufactures there would not be a problem. However there are large fines for those that fix the problem their way.

BTW, I just relieved notice of settlement from a Class Action that was filed 12 years ago in 2010 for a whopping $35 for a $100 defective product. That was just the notice, it may take a few more years to receive payment.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2022, 05:10 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02trader View Post
Magic-Carpet

Does that mean that the new heads all come with the "quality" sensors even though they are not used for reporting on the 2017 and prior?

According to the Cummins tech, this is correct. The new head I received was set up to measure DEF quality...not just temp and quantity.
Our coach is a 2017. I'd previously read and believed 2017 was the first year this problem applied to...

Is the bolded text above correct, 2017 is the last year the problem does NOT apply to?

What can I check/look at in the coach to verify?

2017 Entegra Aspire, 2008 Monaco Knight, 2000 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2022, 06:13 PM   #54

Entegra Owners Club
The DEF quality monitoring was instituted in the 2016 model year. So it is really based on your chassis build date.
Later...
Ray
RayandWendy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply