Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2020, 11:00 AM   #1

Eternabond

I just wanted to share my latest change/mod/improvement on my 2015 44b. We purchased this coach over 2 years ago and one of the many things on the "to do " list was remove the terrible roof caulking that Entegra initially installed on all roof seams . While I'm certainly not the first,I may be the latest one here to spring a small drip inside the coach....the drops ran out of an overhead puck light....the one directly over my wife's seat on the couch! (Guess what moved up the "to do" list in a hurry! ) we've had the first snow of the year here in Bend,Oregon and as of this morning there's about 4 inches on the old picnic table! And it's been down to single digits a time or two... so....me finding and patching the existing caulking didn't appeal to me AT ALL!! So off to a dealer we go! I had them strip off all the original caulk and install the Eternabond Tape over the front cap,rear cap and both side seams. When they removed the existing caulk they discovered standing water under the original factory seal in all 4 areas. They did a great job cleaning it up and so far (1 day) I'm thrilled! and wife is happy...nuff said!

Here's a before and a couple of after .Click image for larger version

Name:	20201030_163241.jpeg
Views:	64
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	307667Click image for larger version

Name:	20201110_163237.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	307668Click image for larger version

Name:	20201110_163257.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	307669
jmorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2020, 11:07 AM   #2

John,

What did they use to seal the caps and side seams?
Old 11-11-2020, 12:38 PM   #3

All 4 seams were done with 4" wide black Eternabond Tape. In areas where the tape wouldn't mold neatly around obstructions like the awning brackets and ladder mounts , etc they used new black caulk along with the tape. I supplied the materials and they did the labor...
Old 11-11-2020, 01:35 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Checking those seams yearly is perhaps the most important thing you can do. Water is what kills almost all motorhomes!
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 01:52 PM   #5

So true! I knew after 6 years of exposure the original would be shot...just glad we caught it now before any real damage because looks can be deceiving. ..
Old 11-11-2020, 03:27 PM   #6

Starting in 2017 Entegra finally went to Nuflex 311, a much better sealant.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 02:32 PM   #7

Glad we did our 2014 as well. Did all four seams and some other spots. After one and a half years the tape is working great. Thanks Brobox!
If you have some Eternabond left, check under your slide out awnings. The factory tape on top of the slides probably could use some TLC. The area I am referring to is right at the edges under/adjacent to the rubber seals of the slide.
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 02:55 PM   #8

While you are on a roll, the skylight, antenna and vent pipes are easy to protect. I have used the product on several vehicles and am very happy. I also use their caulk
Old 11-12-2020, 03:20 PM   #9

Leaks around exhaust fans

During a Florida down pour we had some water come in through an exhaust fan. I checked the seal which was fine but I found no sealing gasket on the fans door which appeared to be the reason for the leak. I installed the maxair covers and hope this helps. Is it worthwhile adding these vent covers? Am I the only one that uses the covers? I used a good sealant to prevent leaks
RandyRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 02:20 PM   #10

My Maxxfan bath fans haven't leaked so far....they already have a built in cover that encloses the unit and we keep the fans closed when it's storming or cold until needed. I do get condensation on the inside of the cover that just happens to fall into the mid bath toilet...learned that from a 3 am shriek from the wife...
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowrower View Post
During a Florida down pour we had some water come in through an exhaust fan. I checked the seal which was fine but I found no sealing gasket on the fans door which appeared to be the reason for the leak. I installed the maxair covers and hope this helps. Is it worthwhile adding these vent covers? Am I the only one that uses the covers? I used a good sealant to prevent leaks
Old 11-13-2020, 02:44 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowrower View Post
All Entegras come with covers on the exhaust fans.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 05:52 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
All Entegras come with covers on the exhaust fans.

I'm sure he can answer, but I think he's referring to the standard outside cover as the fan's "door", and asking about the addition of the MaxxAir rain cover. While the built in rain blocking covered fan were standard on our Anthem, the kitchen fan was still the "ordinary" fan. It's supposed to have the rain sensor, but I don't trust those and am a firm believer in the MaxxAir rain covers myself.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 07:10 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWat View Post
I'm sure he can answer, but I think he's referring to the standard outside cover as the fan's "door", and asking about the addition of the MaxxAir rain cover. While the built in rain blocking covered fan were standard on our Anthem, the kitchen fan was still the "ordinary" fan. It's supposed to have the rain sensor, but I don't trust those and am a firm believer in the MaxxAir rain covers myself.

The MaxxAir covers are a great idea. Our rain sensors work too well on the kitchen fan. Sometimes you actually want to cook when it’s raining. That smoke detector also works well...a good steaming pot of pasta will trigger it even with the microwave fan running on high. And the kitchen fan will decline to open in the rain. The fan in the bathroom will run because it’s covered but it’s a PIA to have to run that when there’s a perfectly good fan right over the stove.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eternabond