Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2016, 09:20 AM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselgem View Post
I. The new rolls I received were dated 11-09, beyond even what you posted. Nowhere on the roll does it state it as an expiration date. The dealers selling it on Ebay were not aware of it being expired.
Good heads up. There is a guy on ebay that is about 1/2 the price and he does sell outdated rolls. I purchased mine from a roofing supplier so there would not be problem of that.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2016, 09:25 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselgem View Post
No, I returned it, but since I did not have the wrapper on what I originally used, I did not have the date of that roll. Vacuum packing is a good idea, I do my spare belts, but did not think of the Eternabond. I buy the 6x50 in black and like most have some extra on hand, Just picked up 4 tubes of their caulk for the seams. I did around the awning brackets and want to seal up against the metal supports too .
Sound good..........wonder when all the manufacture will use it during the build??
This is copied from Eternabonds website:

More than 25 high-end RV manufacturers now use EternaBond® products in the manufacturing of their dream machines to ensure their customers will truly have a weather tight, leak-proof RV

Wonder who the 25 are ??? Sounds like a lot.........for never reading of this use. Does anyone know?
Old 12-18-2016, 09:33 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
You go over the caulking.

Ralph, how long would you say it took you to do the whole roof?
I got around 80% done before winter arrived. The adhesive is amazing and sticks well to just about anything.

I made a token effort to clean the seams and then placed it right over the existing caulk. I split the job up into around 4 sessions of work.

I would store the tape, scissors, rag, cleaner and cordless screwdriver in a bucket and haul it up at once. This spring I will polish it off and be done with it.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 09:57 AM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Sound good..........wonder when all the manufacture will use it during the build??

More than 25 high-end RV manufacturers now use EternaBond® products in the manufacturing of their dream machines to ensure their customers will truly have a weather tight, leak-proof RV

Wonder who the 25 are ??? Sounds like a lot.........for never reading of this use. Does anyone know?
Entegra, for one. They use Eternabond to seal the seams on top of the slideouts.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:19 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Entegra, for one. They use Eternabond to seal the seams on top of the slideouts.
Wonder why not their roof seams Marc?
Sounds like they need to start..........as long as they are doing the slide's
Old 12-18-2016, 10:20 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
@crippsfl @ brobox as another eternabonder and believer in the product an observation...
We very much believe that the caulking Entegra used is an issue, but a huge contributor to the problem is the lack of proper roof drainage. We have spent a lot with of time on our roof and understand its design flaws very well. So much so that when it rains as soon as the storm passes we lift up the front and dump the lake off the roof too avoid the standing water. If I were just a owner who did not know or see it first hand, the amount of water that is held on the roof is dramatic and is a recipe for trouble that is where forums like this are awesome sources of information to educate owners. I believe all owners in our years should be aware and avoid any water staying on the roof eternabond or no. Better to be safe than sorry...I am interested in if some of the roof failure are coaches from wet areas that may have sat out or at least for longer periods of time with all that water just sitting on the inadequate caulk? Ok off soap box now 😀, love my rig just somethin that comes along with it!
Old 12-18-2016, 10:26 AM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post

It is used top of the slides. Eternabond is used because it lays flat so it will slide without tearing the rubber weather strip. Even my 02 TS had Eternabond on the slides, too bad they don't use it on all the seems. However it is labor intense and the cost makes most manufactures pass.

Before I get yelled at, Newmar is starting to use it on some of their coaches from what I was told.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:36 AM   #22

Roof/cap seam

Woodchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:52 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So do you not seal the edges and joints with Dicor?
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 11:09 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
I did not..... because after applying the Eternabond I coated the entire roof with 2 coats of SealBest White Elastomeric Roof Coating.

Woodchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 04:44 PM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
It is used top of the slides. Eternabond is used because it lays flat so it will slide without tearing the rubber weather strip. Even my 02 TS had Eternabond on the slides, too bad they don't use it on all the seems. However it is labor intense and the cost makes most manufactures pass.

Before I get yelled at, Newmar is starting to use it on some of their coaches from what I was told.
I had a problem with the Eternabond that was on the top of my DS front side. It bunched up on top of the interior wood trim when you opened and closed the slide. Lazy Days fixed it once and within 30 days it failed again. Entegra figured it out. They removed all of it, put down new material and attached a piece of 1" right angle aluminum channel against the inside trim on top of the tape. End of issue. I think that is now their standard method for the big slides that lift when retracted.
Crippsfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 05:35 PM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
Edge sealing Eternabond is a bit like suspenders and a belt. The stuff is very, VERY sticky and edge sealing isn't necessary. Certainly doesn't hurt but the advantage of taping is eliminating sealants and the recurring maintenance sealants need over time.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 05:49 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am curious why the OEM caulking is failing/cracking in such a short time. I am a fan of Eternabond and used it on the top seams of my slides. I will use it on the roof whenever I have to start dealing with caulking issues. The white caulk (Dicor??) used on my coach is still holding up well in most places.

Is the caulk used on newer rigs more 'environmentally friendly' thereby reducing its life? Do the 'wings' I see on newer rigs that seem to part of the Girard awnings contribute to poor drainage from the roof?
Old 12-18-2016, 06:05 PM   #28

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post

Is the caulk used on newer rigs more 'environmentally friendly' thereby reducing its life?
JMO, but like any other chemical that works, the EPA takes it off the market. I ran into the same problem with materials for my business. Prices tripled for materials that no longer worked. The suppliers all blamed the EPA.

Tags
eternabond, install