Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2014, 04:31 PM   #1
bcp

Excessive DEF Use?

I just returned from a trip from Oregon to Colorado and back. I stopped for diesel every 400-500 miles. Each time my DEF tank needed 2.5 to 5 gallons of DEF to refill to almost full. When I got to Colorado, my Toad was covered with dried DEF. Last night, I was backing into the driveway and this pile of dried DEF fell off the Entegra road guard and the Jeep looks like this.

I think I'm using excessive DEF. If this is normal, I don't like normal. Anyone else having this experience?

2014 Aspire DEQ, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk (DEF Coated)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3671.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	372.7 KB
ID:	69825   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4857.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	291.1 KB
ID:	69826  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2037.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	288.9 KB
ID:	69827  
bcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2014, 04:37 PM   #2

JMHO: NOT normal. Take your DEF purchase records; mileage etc., and these pictures to a Cummins service center. Looks like you may even have a line leaking, for that much mess.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:42 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Not normal and there has been a LOT of problems with DEF sensors. Call Cummins and show them the pictures. Cummins should be able to get a computer reading and go right to the problem. Too bad your are not still in Denver the Cummins center there is great.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:45 PM   #4
bcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Not normal and there has been a LOT of problems with DEF sensors. Call Cummins and show them the pictures. Cummins should be able to get a computer reading and go right to the problem. Too bad your are not still in Denver the Cummins center there is great.
Thanks, Brobox. Cummins Northwest has a great reputation too. They are here in Portland. I will call Entegra first thing tomorrow then Cummins next.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:50 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd don't think that is normal as well. Hope you Jeep comes clean.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:52 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
Thanks, Brobox. Cummins Northwest has a great reputation too. They are here in Portland. I will call Entegra first thing tomorrow then Cummins next.
No need to call Entegra, it is a Cummins problem and there is a 5 year warranty with Cummins. It's a good time to get into Cummins system in case there is an emergency on the road, you will be in their computer. That is nice if you need to be towed in at 10 PM, you will be in the computer and the gates opened for you. Don't ask me how I know
Old 08-03-2014, 05:01 PM   #7
bcp

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
I'd don't think that is normal as well. Hope you Jeep comes clean.
Ran the Jeep through the car wash. Too lazy to wash it myself. It looks great. Like new which is good since it only has 900 miles on the ODO.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:01 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think that you have a pin hole in your DEF line. We had a similar problem but much worse. Our toad was covered in the white crusty stuff which was caused by the DEF line being to close to the exhaust and melted the line. We lost almost all the fluid in a short time. It was a Freightliner issue for us.
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:09 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Definitely a malfunction and definitely a leak somewhere in the DEF supply side (line, tank, etc.). Could also be a plugged vent. Normal DEF use is 2-4% of diesel. Rinse all areas that were exposed to DEF and monitor for corrosion. DEF has a moderately high pH (about 9.8) and can cause corrosion on exposed metal items similar to salt water.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:16 PM   #10

We had the same problem as you are now having! For US it was the Blue corrigated looking hose from the DEF tank, The hose had rubbed a coach frame mounting bracket and cut a V shaped groove in the hose which finally wore into the middle of hose and cause a vacum or pressure leak. What ever the hose does Vacum or Pressure not sure, it runs from DEF tank to the Exhaust injection thingy! To get our coach to the shop, i used a washing machine hose, cut a section long enough to cover the V shaped groove, split that hose and positioned it over damaged area, then 3 - 1" hose clamps securing the patch on and got coach to shop for repairs! It would be a good ideal for everyone to just double check the hose on their coach, The hose is about 200 bcks and you need SPECIAL tools to remove and install the hose!!!
Hope your problem is this simple.
SDM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:18 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
On second thought, it might be worth a call to Entegra and see if there have been other problems similar to your. Would you be kind enough to post back when you find the problem. I hope the Cummins shop there is a Coach Care, they service both Cummins and Spartan for one stop shopping.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:00 AM   #12

bcp. Keep us informed on DEF issue!
SDM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:54 PM   #13
bcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDM1 View Post
bcp. Keep us informed on DEF issue!
So far, called CS, they said they would have Spartan call me. Charlie Fisher from Spartan called me shortly after, gave me a contact in Portland. I mentioned Cummins NW was a good source too. Called Cummins NW. They said I shouldn't see any DEF residue on the coach or the toad. I have an appointment at Cummins NW next Monday morning.

More as it develops.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:01 PM   #14

Bryan, I have been working with Charlie Fisher for four months now on the steering issue. He has been very responsive, helpful and and pleasant to work with.

Peter Collins
pallencollin is offline   Reply With Quote