Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2020, 11:02 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic-carpet View Post
Scroll down on this link to see the "severe duty" bellows. I'm not sure they have an off the shelf compatible part for the standard version, which seems is what we all have. But they do brag about them being better than their standard version.

https://www.tru-flex.com/bellows/

Definitely the severe duty type would be better. Their website just shows generic bellows not necessarily the PN we need on the ISL or ISX. Any given application they manufacture for would be a specific length and diameter with the appropriate flange design. I doubt if there is an identical bellows like ours unless Spartan designed and released. Idon't think you will find a severe duty version of our part.

What is shown as the severe duty style is what should be in that sensitive location but it would cost more than the basic bellows we have. Hard to justify the cost savings on a half million$ coach isn't it. Especially just under the wooden floor of a motorhome. Spartan can speak to that . I certainly can't justify what they put there.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2020, 06:17 AM   #44

Entegra Owners Club
Thank you Jeanne, I did look at that site, and there is not much information. I would probably need the specifications to see if they offer a product that would work. I will start with Spartan this morning to inquire about an inspection for the recall and see where that leads.

Al, your part that was removed (your image on the ground), did that have the mesh covering on it in the center (not all the way to the ends?)
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:53 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestal View Post
Definitely the severe duty type would be better. Their website just shows generic bellows not necessarily the PN we need on the ISL or ISX. Any given application they manufacture for would be a specific length and diameter with the appropriate flange design. I doubt if there is an identical bellows like ours unless Spartan designed and released. Idon't think you will find a severe duty version of our part.

What is shown as the severe duty style is what should be in that sensitive location but it would cost more than the basic bellows we have. Hard to justify the cost savings on a half million$ coach isn't it. Especially just under the wooden floor of a motorhome. Spartan can speak to that . I certainly can't justify what they put there.
I'm betting that they took a stock bellows and built around it. If that's the case, I would also bet that there is a stock severe duty one to match, but obviously more expensive. I sent an inquiry to Tru-flux, I'll post any response here.
Magic-carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:46 AM   #46

Entegra Owners Club
Another consideration concerning the bellows failure is that this bellows provides a flex point between the engine and the after treatment system. When you put your foot to the medal the engine is trying to turn on the engine mounds. If the engine mounds are loose or bad there could to much movement and flexing the bellows excessively.....just something to think about.

Richard
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:02 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasman 2 View Post
Another consideration concerning the bellows failure is that this bellows provides a flex point between the engine and the after treatment system. When you put your foot to the medal the engine is trying to turn on the engine mounds. If the engine mounds are loose or bad there could to much movement and flexing the bellows excessively.....just something to think about.

Richard
Well this makes me wonder what the 144 pt inspection really covers. Does anyone have a copy of that list? Is there really a list that they use as they go over it at the factory in Charlotte? Seems Al had this done 3 times at the factory and he has service work done at Spartan approved shops.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:50 AM   #48

Exhaust bellows failure NHTSA recall 16V-313

Well guys.... The official answer from Scott Wilson, the Spartan Service Manager 517.543.6400 ext 3272 is that our coach is not within the campaign parameters of the NHSTA Recall 16V-313 therefore Spartan is not obligated to cover any expenses for the failure of the exhaust bellows.

The Recall 16V-313 is a picture perfect description of the failure on our coach. Spartan refuses to provide further details as to why it does not fit the campaign parameters.

If you are concerned that your coach might fail the exhaust bellows and burn to the ground you might want to make sure it is covered by the recall! Or, if you are worried you might want to have it inspected via the recall. I'm sure Scott can give you directions as to how to accomplish this. Give him a call.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:01 PM   #49

Entegra Owners Club
Sorry to hear that Al, hoping we hear for others that were contacting Spartan regarding this issue and recall.
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:56 PM   #50

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jestal View Post
coach is not within the campaign parameters of the NHSTA Recall 16V-313
Same answer I received for my Coach VIN this morning after contacting them. I am going to ask the parts department how much the pieces call to replace the recall parts (all of them for my Cumming ISL)

Reading the "Safety "recall, it states 1% of 2582 possible chassis from 2006 - 2015. Not real clear on how many of these chassis were for " Motor Homes" - not sure who and what else they provide them to.

It also states "Incomplete chassis affected by this recall were to be completed as motorhomes by a final stage manufacturers."

Pushing the recall to Entegra? The recall states: (I copied and pasted)

"Recall Schedule :
Description of Recall Schedule : Spartan does not have dealers for this product type and will not issue a dealer letter. However, a final stage manufacturer will be provided to affected final stage manufacturers. A sample has been provided and Spartan will distribute within 5 business days.

The recall and how and who was handling it seems very vague.

I will post the results of the parts cost once I get them. I assume the parts on the "Service Parts Recall" would be the parts needed to replace the tube and the bellows and clamps/gaskets, etc.
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:23 PM   #51

Question

Its hard for me to believe that not one member of this forum that reads this thread has gotten a recall notice on this issue. 2582 units...not one of us with a chassis built between 2007 and 2015 has heard of it or received a notice? I understand that not many chassis's were built from 2008 to 2010 but not one of us from 2011 - 2015? Ummmm...
Old 08-13-2020, 06:45 PM   #52

Very small % of the Spartan population read or contribute to these forums. If I had an issue with my Spartan Chassis that fell within the recall and was told to take a hike, I think I’d lawyer up......
Glider114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:35 AM   #53

The bellows on our coach as you can see in the picture has no insulation nor any woven stainless steel mesh armor at all. Just a plain simple bellows that is free to bounce and jiggle around and fatigue crack and fail. Any simpleton can tell the part is completely inadequate. Small wonder there is a recall on them. And, yes, I am somewhat of an expert on exhaust system flex bellows.

The more I find out about the part and Spartan's process for the recall the more skeptical I get of Spartan's ability and process for building anything of quality. This exhaust bellows failure and dealing with Spartan has been a huge disappointment.

There is a NHTSA recall but Somehow Spartan gets away with telling no one and then arbitrarily deciding if your coach "fits the parameters of the campaign" after it fails!! The final answer I received regarded some models having a brace or not and there were less failures (in the field: i.e.the customer does their testing) without the brace. Of course my coach did not have the brace so it was excluded from the recall. How convenient. They were not interested in the fact that my failure might just change their data base. The individual I was talking to who was explaining why my coach did not fit the parameters had never even touched one of the parts much less under stood any aspect of the failure mode.

Obviously I am underwhelmed with Spartan.

I will caution any owner to keep a close eye on the exhaust bellows across the top of the engine because it is just a matter when, not if, the part will fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwoodofd View Post
Thank you Jeanne, I did look at that site, and there is not much information. I would probably need the specifications to see if they offer a product that would work. I will start with Spartan this morning to inquire about an inspection for the recall and see where that leads.

Al, your part that was removed (your image on the ground), did that have the mesh covering on it in the center (not all the way to the ends?)
Old 08-14-2020, 05:15 AM   #54

Entegra Owners Club
Al, have your tried getting anywhere with NHTSA? I had action from them on another matter, they were slow to respond. I don't know about an existing recall that Spartan is denying. Might be worth a call to get their assessment of Spartan's reaction. Your damage is serious and I hope NHTSA would get involved since it is a know problem. Recalls can be extended just like the air bags on car were.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:24 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Al, have your tried getting anywhere with NHTSA? I had action from them on another matter, they were slow to respond. I don't know about an existing recall that Spartan is denying. Might be worth a call to get their assessment of Spartan's reaction. Your damage is serious and I hope NHTSA would get involved since it is a know problem. Recalls can be extended just like the air bags on car were.
I have turned in two complaint forms to them. Heard nothing back yet.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:59 AM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Just to add historical data... my 2006 Travel Supreme had a cracked weld at the bellows. Found by Cummins, and one of the reasons I sold the coach to a TS dealer.

Also, I have a friend with a 2007 TS which blew the bellows and burned out all kinds of wiring as well as other damage. Repairs were at his expense.

So this is a Spartan issue that predated the sale of TS to Entegra.
Johnontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust