Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2014, 07:55 AM   #1

External Propane Tank

I'm in San Antonio, Tx and it's benn getting into the 20s. I'm connected to electrical and keeping the coach warm but my propane is getting low. Rather than pulling the coach out to fill up I'd like to connect an external tank. I have read about the extend a stay on other forums, but I understand the Aspire has a connection for hooking up a grill on the passenger side.

So my question is can I use that connection to hook up an external tank for my furnace or do I need to add an extend a stay "T"?

Thanks for the input.
Jeff

2012 Aspire
Jburklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2014, 08:07 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Make a few calls. In Texas you should be able to find a propane company that will deliver to your coach so you wouldn't need the extra tank. I know of companies in Beaumont, Sequin and Wimberly that deliver - don't have any names in SA but you should be able to find one.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:35 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Trying to use the propane that way is on the wrong side of the regulator which only allow gas to flow in one direction. I think I would do as Rick suggested and call for delivery, but to use an external tank you would need an Extend a Stay.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Trying to use the propane that way is on the wrong side of the regulator which only allow gas to flow in one direction. I think I would do as Rick suggested and call for delivery, but to use an external tank you would need an Extend a Stay.
Great! Thanks. I'll see if I can find a local propane to fill.

I love this forum for the quick and timely advice.

Thank you
Jeff
Old 01-26-2014, 01:27 AM   #5

Commercial Member

Jeff,

If you're going to be parked in one spot for long enough... and if you anticipate that it will stay cold enough that you'll be using lots of propane to stay warm, you might want to go with the external tank option connected through an Extend-A-Stay "T" adapter.

We installed one on our coach a few years ago... and then got to use it while wintering in southern British Columbia. It sure was nice to know that we had a virtually limitless supply of propane handy, so we could keep it warm and toasty inside!

If you think you might want to go that route, check out the video we put together talking about connecting to an external tank. It may help you decide one way or the other:

How To Connect An RV To External Propane - HowToRVgeeks

Hope this helps! And STAY WARM!
Old 01-26-2014, 06:22 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVgeeks View Post
We installed one on our coach a few years ago... and then got to use it while wintering in southern British Columbia.
"Wintering in Southern British Columbia," YIKES! There's nothing "South" about any part of BC. Then I saw you were from Michigan, makes sense. :-)
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVgeeks View Post
Jeff,

If you're going to be parked in one spot for long enough... and if you anticipate that it will stay cold enough that you'll be using lots of propane to stay warm, you might want to go with the external tank option connected through an Extend-A-Stay "T" adapter.

We installed one on our coach a few years ago... and then got to use it while wintering in southern British Columbia. It sure was nice to know that we had a virtually limitless supply of propane handy, so we could keep it warm and toasty inside!

If you think you might want to go that route, check out the video we put together talking about connecting to an external tank. It may help you decide one way or the other:

How To Connect An RV To External Propane - HowToRVgeeks

Hope this helps! And STAY WARM!
RVGeeks. Actually I have already reviewed that video and since the coach is in storage I think I'll go that route. Your video was very informative and very we'll put together.

Thank you!
Jeff
Old 01-26-2014, 08:52 PM   #8

This is what I did in your situation. This may not be the best or correct way, but it worked for me.

I placed a gas valve (yellow handle) between the coach regulator and the coach supply line. I place a "T" along the coach supply line that T's off to either your BBQ or external tank.

I placed a second gas valve (red handle) just prior to where you would connect your external gas hose.

Normal RV use, with nothing external connect: Yellow valve is open to supply propane to the coach. Red valve is kept closed.

If I want to use the BBQ, with the yellow valve open, I just open the red valve to supply gas to the BBQ. No regulator needed since the pressure is regulated by the coach regulator. (this is my theory, I never hook up a BBQ grill)

When I want to use an external tank, I shut the yellow valve (to prevent gas flowing into the coach propane tank) and open the red valve to supply propane to the coach. You have to use a low pressure regulator on your propane tank. This will work, I used this set up for 3 months last winter.

I want to emphasize, you need to use a low pressure regulator on your external tank.

Click image for larger version

Name:	propane.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	54750
RVluvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:47 AM   #9

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryO View Post
"Wintering in Southern British Columbia," YIKES! There's nothing "South" about any part of BC. Then I saw you were from Michigan, makes sense. :-)
LOL! Very true! But southern BC is way warmer than most of the rest of Canada in the winter... and certainly warmer than Michigan!

Tags
propane, tank