Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2015, 02:17 PM   #15

I-pass

After reading a thread on this forum I elected to get I-pass. Works with on the E-Zpass road systems. No yearly fee if you live in Pennsylvania or one of the other states that charge a yearly fee. You can also use only one transponder on multiple vehicles, just register the vehicles. Worth a look.

Get I-PASS and Get Going! - www.illinoistollway.com
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2015, 02:50 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
We live in NY the state of Taxes!! We have our EZ-Pass thru the Thruway Authority, since the first started it. We have the blue tag for the MH when towing and the white tag when not towing. On the Thruway the rate for the MH (2axles) is the same as the car alone. When towing it is slightly higher, but not outrageous. Make sure there is no tag on the car when it is being towed, use the foil bag, or you will get a double whammy. Of course the car has it's own tag for the times it is on the Thruway alone.

We have noticed varying policies in other states where a $2 car toll cost us up to $5. Got caught in Illinois where they picked up the car as extra, with no tag even with us. Try to fight it but it being in another state NYS was not able to do anything, the extra cost wasn't worth the fight.
Having the tags sure bets carrying a pocket full of cash and the stopping aggravation at the toll booths. Glad the invented EZ-Pass.

Tom
2003Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 03:02 PM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandGloria View Post
EZPass in VA gave me a foil type bad to put my toad pass in when hooked to motorhome. They set it up when I got the blue EZPass for motorhome for 4 axles and told me to ensure that toad pass was in bag while being towed.
Same thing here in NH.
Shellback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 06:57 PM   #18

EZ Pass in NY has some unique features. One is that the motorhome itself can be charged as an auto rather than as a truck. All that I needed to do is to contact EZ Pass NY Thruway and they changed my classification when I provided them with a copy of my registration. They also have a special discounted rate for coach and tow which we will be exploring when we go the route of having a toad. I don't know if you will qualify as a Louisiana resident, but it may be worth a call or at least an e-mail.
Old 09-13-2015, 01:06 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
I just signed up for the I-Pass. The service rep was really confused and couldn't seem to understand that my Motor home was not a trailer. She set me up with two boxes, one for the motor-home and one for the toad. Once I get them I will login to the website to see if it all makes any sense to me regarding the set up with towing the toad and when not.
tim myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 03:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
I just signed up for the I-Pass. The service rep was really confused and couldn't seem to understand that my Motor home was not a trailer. She set me up with two boxes, one for the motor-home and one for the toad. Once I get them I will login to the website to see if it all makes any sense to me regarding the set up with towing the toad and when not.
You only need the one flat pack as they call it. You go online and register all your vehicle plates. If you are driving just the car that is all you are charged. If you are driving Coach and toad you are charged accordingly. If you elect to return one transponder you get the refund. I stopped at an Oasis and then ordered online when I got home after reconfirming the operation with them.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:56 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
How does their system know if I am towing or not?
tim myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 05:07 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
How does their system know if I am towing or not?
There are road sensors that count the axles.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:07 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Well my first trip in IPass land didn't go so well. Went to exit the tool road and I got the annoying amber flashing lights. When I say annoying this is an understatement. An attendant came on the speaker and ask what I was trying to do and said she needed the number off of my blue box. By this time the amber lights had pretty much blinded me. Did I mention this was about midnight? Finally retrieved the blue box from the mounting location and read her the numbers and got through the gate.

Next day back on the road and this time I went thru the manual lane to get on the toll road but when I exited I got confused (senility setting in) and managed to get into the auto lane. Well it didn't work again so I am out of my Class C trying to get the machine to take my credit card. All the while a lovely Indiana driver is laying on their horn to let me know I had just cost them 60 seconds on their drive that Saturday.

Mind you this was all in my class C which has a drivers door. I now have a class A which in my mind changes a lot. So here are my questions:

I am assuming that most of the problem with the class C was the overhang of the bed over the cab. Where should I mount the blue box o my class A? I am remembering having to retrieve mine in the Class C and wondering how I will accomplish that in the class A

I have noticed that most of the unmanned booths have both a high and low access point. Is it physically possible to reach these access points through the sliding window on my class A if and when the unit doesn't work again?

Where can I go other than a tool booth to check to make sure this thing is working?
Old 12-01-2015, 09:51 AM   #24

When we had a Class C we used the license plate mount sensor. That worked well with no issues.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:39 AM   #25

I mount our EXPass on the front window just under the shade and it works every time.
waterboy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:51 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
I think there are only two ways to test them. One is by driving through a toll plaza as if you were paying with cash and see if it works and the other is to go to one of their retailers. Forget the name of the stores in IL that sell them.

Unfortunately both of my encounters were with unmanned booths.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:52 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy10 View Post
I mount our EXPass on the front window just under the shade and it works every time.
X2 but with I-Pass. Had it near the upper right corner at the beginning and that didn't work well. Center and high seems to work perfectly. It would be possible but hard to reach it if I had to. Maybe write down the number and keep it handy?
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:53 AM   #28

Ours is mounting on the bottom of the windshield. It has worked well. However my transponder for a class A is white. I am not sure if a lesser weight class is blue.,