Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2015, 06:54 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
What they told me is that only one transponder is required for both coach and toad. Their equipment counts the axles and charges accordingly. Just make sure that both vehicles' license plates are listed on the account. I have been doing it this way for over ten years.
X2. Just completed a trip from Detroit to NYC in the coach and have one Illinois EZ pass. I just moved it from one vehicle to another without issues in PA. The toll rates were cheaper than paying cash. However, watch your mirrors in the toll gates they are narrow as hell. If you can get to the right hand side it is usually a little better but is a few cases that was not possible.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2015, 07:11 AM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
I am traveling up North for the first time in a motorhome pulling a Honda CR-V. I have a tag axle coach and a two axle Honda. So, how does EZ-Pass deal with me? I have a total of 5 axles which is the same as 90% of semis, but two of them are a car which is charged at a much lower rate. I have two transponders, one for the coach and one for the car, but the car transponder is only on the dash when we are touring in the car and wrapped in tin foil the rest of the time. The coach always has the transponder mounted.

Am I charged as a semi by the automated process or as a 3 axle coach with no car, or as a coach and a car but at the car rate?

Gary
Hello Gary - to be honest, I have not read all posts in this thread so I am not sure this hasn't been covered - but here goes.

Last year we purchased our motor home - we live in Indiana. My daughter lives in the mountains of New York State - I checked the EZ-Pass web site of Indiana - nothing special, Indiana would charge you for the air you breath if they could. Then I checked the New York EZ-Pass web site and learned if I got the pass from NY, I could send in an application for a discount on my motorhome tolls. Basically I get charged car rates for my motorhome. Saves quite a bit. You do not need to be a NY resident and of course if you have no plans to visit NY or the northeast this would not help you but other states may give the same discount.

And I am under the impression NY requires me to have a separate transmitter in my toad - both of which are white. Haven't taken the toad yet I to NY.

Have fun in your RV!

g
Old 12-07-2015, 07:22 AM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Wow...
no wonder so many are moving south each year

Youse guys have horrendous tolls AND state income tax

Unfortunately though, TexUS is doing the tolltag shuffle too in that we have more tolltag companies that are not compatible... (TxTag, NTTA, etc... unless it's changed lately)

It's crazy that we pay road tax, they shut down roads for years to build toll lanes, then you can't use them... They even sold one of the toll roads to a Spanish company !!!

Almost as stupid as having a HOV lane that is closed during most of the day - wouldn't all traffic move better if it were open ?!?

sorry for the thread hack and soapbox .
Old 12-07-2015, 12:14 PM   #46

We have two white transponders and have for 10 years. One is in the MH and the other in the toad. In PA. the blue transponder is for commercial vehicles and the state want you keep $2500 in escrow to pay for tolls. The white is for non-commercial and you must keep $75 in escrow.

Tolls are charged by each state, PA. and most of the Northeast charge by weight. Indiana and Illinois charge by number of axles. One problem in PA. is if your steering is over 15,000 lbs. they may charge for an overloaded axle. Best thing to do is let them know the transponder is in a MH and they will not charge for it.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:53 PM   #47

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

I've got two EZPass NY transponders. I called EZ Pass and told them what I had for a motor home and what my Toad was and they sent me two transponders and a silver foil bag. They told me to keep the Toad's transponder in the bag when I was towing it . We've traveled from CT, NY, NJ, MD, VA, NC, and SC and frankly haven't really looked at my EZ pass statements. Reading this thread I decided to review them. My biggest charge was for $13.85 for DelMem bridge and that was motorhome plus toad. No complaints here.
We're headed south from Mt Pleasant KOA in SC to Florida next week. Can anyone tell me for sure if EZ Pass now works in SUNPASS toll booths please?

ENTEGRA WANNABEE (CMMDI)
The Taj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 04:17 PM   #48

Whimsy last year EZ-Pass didn't work in Fla. I just looked at Sunpass's website and they don't say anything about EZ-Pass on it.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:25 PM   #49

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverhome2 View Post
Whimsy last year EZ-Pass didn't work in Fla. I just looked at Sunpass's website and they don't say anything about EZ-Pass on it.
Hi Larry! Florida has their own system called sunpass..........it works great, We were just down there in oct-nov. and just rolled through them.........they sent me a bill in the mail. $2.50 cost for the paper work.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:45 PM   #50

No Ezpass in Florida yet.

Some Federal law says they must by 2016 or something like that. I carry both.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 04:49 PM   #51

In IL, I try to remember to carry my transponder with me, but there are many times when I don't bother. In IL, your plate number is tied to your Ipass, so they scan your plate and bill your Ipass. Transponder really doesn't matter.

BTY: Someone mentioned earlier that they got billed for an upcharge for going through a toll booth without paying. I would have refused the upcharge. It is not your fault their equipment malfunctioned. You may have to send them your xx-Pass account number to confirm you have one, but no way I would pay for an equipment malfunction. They supply the equipment, its their problem.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:38 PM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Assuming you are in Florida, it is well worth it for my 4 axles. Really not that much. Dick
Dick1142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:27 AM   #53

Here is how NYs save on tolls.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1450106746055.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	114139  
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:42 AM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Those must be those new autonomous self-driving cars. Probably just upgraded to Windows 10 and forgot to CTRL-ALT-DELETE.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:37 AM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
FYI: "Under MAP-21, (a federal Law) passed in 2012, all ETC (Electronic Tool Collection) facilities in the United States must reach some form of interoperability by October 1, 2016."

I haven't heard of any delays, but given that politicians are involved, anything is possible.
CadillLinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 12:52 PM   #56

Entegra Owners Club
I thought that was that NJ Governor staffs' way of getting back at political foes on that bridge into NY
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote