Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2022, 08:03 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
Can we see a staged blowout like that without the bands? Same conditions? Maybe several? One blowout on an empty road where everyone knew it was going to happen is only a single point. The coach heeled over and the people inside going, "what was that?" seems disingenuous. No way a driver wouldn't notice that. Looks more like a commercial than a "test." Can we see the same test with competitors products also? That would be helpful for people who haven't already decided to buy these before the video came out.

I too would welcome any and all other manufactures to duplicate every aspect of this video with their product. But the bottom line exactly zero other makers have tested let alone videoed and published the results at any third party test site and reported this to my knowledge. This test was done at the Nevada test site, an official third party testing organization that has strict guidelines and supervision of tests.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2022, 04:18 AM   #58

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Alright, the choir is still convinced. Got it.

For everyone who wasn't already a fan before the video was posted, I don't think it's too much to ask to see some additional testing. If the product is as good as everyone who responded is convinced it is, at the very least we can see another test with the other front tire, right? Why not several? Why not one while the coach is in a turn? Climbing? Descending? As it happens, I spend a lot of time on roads that are nothing like the one in the video. I'm also curious about whether the coach in the video is similar enough to mine that it's a good comparison. What's its specs? Any modifications? What kind of tire was that?
Old 08-22-2022, 04:36 AM   #59

Entegra Owners Club
[QUOTE=dizcom;6284256]Alright, the choir is still convinced. Got it.

For everyone who wasn't already a fan before the video was posted, I don't think it's too much to ask to see some additional testing. If the product is as good as everyone who responded is convinced it is, at the very least we can see another test with the other front tire, right? Why not several? Why not one while the coach is in a turn? Climbing? Descending? As it happens, I spend a lot of time on roads that are nothing like the one in the video. I'm also curious about whether the coach in the video is similar enough to mine that it's a good comparison. What's its specs? Any modifications? What kind of tire was that?[/QUOTE]

Might want to watch the video, it was all explained in the beginning, year, make of coach, right odd the showroom floor, weight, tires, etc.

Many of use are waiting for the test reports and blow out reports for other products. Have you been able to find any yet? Not all blowouts are going to be the same, so it would be impossible to blow tires up for all circumstance. I believe the test was done on the most common RV blowout. Right front tire, side wall as that is the weakest point of a tire and the most common for a blowout. BTW, click to enlarge the photo I attached of the totaled Holiday Rambler and look at the right front tire.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 05:32 AM   #60

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
Alright, the choir is still convinced. Got it.

For everyone who wasn't already a fan before the video was posted, I don't think it's too much to ask to see some additional testing. If the product is as good as everyone who responded is convinced it is, at the very least we can see another test with the other front tire, right? Why not several? Why not one while the coach is in a turn? Climbing? Descending? As it happens, I spend a lot of time on roads that are nothing like the one in the video. I'm also curious about whether the coach in the video is similar enough to mine that it's a good comparison. What's its specs? Any modifications? What kind of tire was that?
No one is making you buy retrobands ... get off your bandwagon. If you don't think they are worth it fine .... making statements like all the ones you are making are just plain tacky and rude.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 05:40 AM   #61
Community Administrator

Okay ,let’s please stop bickering about the same issue. From our Community Rules.

“Do not take every opportunity to express your disagreement, incite argument, insult each other, or fan flames. Voice your opinion respectfully and then let it go.”

Thanks
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 05:21 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ RV'r View Post
I can tell you when my tire blew, that wheel and side of the coach felt like it dropped a over a foot straight to the ground with a thud, and also felt like the wheel was now a plow that dug into the concrete, pulling me straight into the ditch on the right
I think the 'plough' effect is the one that gets you. a person would have to be a) strong and b) have a fast reaction time to counter the effect. Looks like a great idea, one that I'll consider even for my older coach.
72chevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 01:14 PM   #63

It seems everyone has an opinion on this subject, so I’ll share mine…

1) Let’s say you purchase a new motorhome which has Rettrobands installed as standard equipment by the coach manufacturer. Not optional at extra cost, just part of the package. Would you ask to have the Rettrobands removed?

2) Similar situation, but you’re buying a used motorhome on which the original owner had Rettrobands installed. Would you take action to have the Rettrobands removed after purchasing the coach?

3) Based on the numbers posted by Chuck Lasley, the current cost for a pair of Rettrobands ranges from $3,495 to $4,695 plus applicable sales tax. Let’s say the price was one-tenth of those amounts; i.e. $350 to $470. Would you balk at having them installed?

The point of these questions is probably obvious enough, which is that most if not all of the reluctance seems to center on price. I get that – four to five grand for a pair of devices you’ll most likely never need isn’t chump change. But…

Steer tire failures aren’t always caused by incorrect air pressure, neglect or tire age. You can experience – and I have personally experienced – a steer tire failure as a result of running over a piece of debris on the road. You can read all about it here if you so desire:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/int...ml#post4713949

With regard to NIRVC making a lot of money on the Rettroband products, keep in mind the product is on its second release solely as a result of a handful of installation-error-related failures associated with the initial release. Most companies would have looked the other way, but NIRVC chose to redesign the product, making it virtually idiot-proof, and to the replace all of the version one installations with version two. Plus the product is currently manufactured in Australia, so shipping costs aren’t exactly trivial.

Brett made clear in a recent post that the returns on Rettroband product sales have yet to equal the investment he and his partners have made since inception. So while the product line may one day be profitable, it hasn’t yet achieved that goal. You can read Brett’s explanation here:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/ret...ml#post6243947
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 01:48 PM   #64

Rettroband User

Well...I put Rettroband #1 on the coach when they came out.
I had the #2 recall version put on last November.(Yes, no charge)

My rational is..."If you were to put a price tag on your or your wife's forehead, what amount would you enter."

Oh yes, I also carry insurance and we use our seatbelts.

Fair winds and down hill grades to you all.
Balladeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 03:37 PM   #65

A friend and the video totally sold us on getting retrobands installed in september. A small price to pay for something that can help you stay safe. thanks chuck for posting the video. At least this will eliminate one worry now I just have to only worry about my def head haha. But I do have a simulator thanks to Archer and his friends!
lands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 09:26 AM   #66

Fantastic video on the "New" Retrobands. Must Have!

So I had mine installed yesterday and everything went great!

First... If you have never been to a NIRVC, you don't have any idea what you have been missing.

This company, from the bottom to the top, is the best company I have ever had the pleasure of doing business within the RV industry.

I have read others and their praises but until yesterday... I didn't understand just how hard they try to meet and exceed your expectations of what RV sales and service should be like. Every person I met from the store manager, service advisor and all four techs that worked on the tires, every one of them was courteous, professional and knowledgeable. Kudos to them and I will definitely be a returning customer.

So on to the Rettrobands and the installation.

No surprised it is as you all would expect, pretty straight forward.

The process is in a nutshell...

- unseat the tire from the rim

- slip the Rettroband inside of the partially dismounted tire

- attach the Rettroband to the rim and tighten the two connectors joining the pieces.

- remount the tire, fill with air and re-balance.

- reinstall tires on the coach and test drive to confirm no problems or vibrations.

I was allowed to watch the entire process from start to finish and take as many pictures as I wanted.

One of the pictures is a display the made in the lobby showing the product installed on a rim.

I am so happy that I invested in this... even driving the 12 miles home on the highway, I didn't have that fear anymore that I've had in the back of my mind driving after my blowout.

Even if it does happen again... I now feel safer and that I will be able to control my coach and will have control. I also feel better about my family riding in the coach with these installed.

Hope this helps someone in making a decision.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	992CB67C-0162-4511-960E-978FAA399714.jpeg
Views:	25
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	374545   Click image for larger version

Name:	54FBB3FD-3434-41A6-9FC6-A0D777CFB59D.jpeg
Views:	22
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	374546  

Name:	AD30AA42-E39C-4805-AF78-346753C5E09B.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	374547   Click image for larger version

Name:	487E3A41-BC56-419C-87A9-88D61E179435.jpeg
Views:	22
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	374548  

AZ RV'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 10:05 AM   #67

Fantastic video on the "New" Retrobands. Must Have!

My ah-ha moment came as I was driving down Hwy 101 on a cold, rainy day in Oregon. I approached a tight turn on a cliff way faster than I wanted to. I hit the brakes and pulled hard on the steering wheel to get around the turn and my only thought was "with all the stress I'm putting on the steer tire right now, it could blow and my wife and I will go off this cliff and die". Pucker moment for sure but I did not have a blowout. The next day I made an appointment for my Rettrobands. I hate paying for insurance because I feel like I'm throwing money away for no value in return, but with Rettrobands I get piece of mind. Worth it to me.

Name:	IMG_7097.JPG
Views:	0
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	374541

Name:	IMG_7096.JPG
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	374542

Name:	IMG_7095.JPG
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	374543

Name:	IMG_7094.JPG
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	374544
GeezerViz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 04:00 AM   #68

Solo Rvers Club
Totally awesome! I saw the video on Retroband’s website with the Class C at 65mph, but this one done with Brett and Rob is MUCH more impressive. The camera shot of the driver and steering wheel when the tire blew was very impressive. Hardly any movement! My new Retros are due to be installed sometime end of summer! I’ll feel much more at ease while traveling.
patlaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 10:54 AM   #69

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ RV'r View Post
Yes... it was definitely a "change your shorts" moment.

The whole thing took less than 10 seconds from 68MPH to a complete stop.

In the end from these pictures you can see I ended up "drivin' it out" without the tow trucks help after a temp tire was put on.
Here's a couple more pictures as it only lets me do four per post. Again I'm sorry... they are straight on my end, but they are posting crooked even if I rotate them to compensate... it doesn't change how they show in the post.
Great pics - thx!
I'm having mine installed this fall.
As an FYI, if you edit/save your photos with Google photos, or Microsoft paint they will export in the correct upright position. I learned this here on another post - great stuff!
Contender is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan, video