Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2018, 12:09 AM   #1

First Impressions of Creston Mobile Pro App

In this thread…

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/whic...ad-402064.html

…I was asking about which Creston app to download so Amy & I could use a Samsung tablet to duplicate some of the control functions available on the VegaTouch panel in our 2018 Cornerstone. I got the answer to that question, and today I completed the download and setup of the “Creston Mobile Pro” app.

On the plus side, the download and setup was pretty straight-forward, and the app looks and operates virtually the same as the VegaTouch panel itself.

The disappointment is that there are some important functions available on the VegaTouch panel that aren’t available in the Mobile Pro app. Specifically, you can’t control the thermostats and you can turn the Aqua-Hot on and off.

The absence of those capabilities is significant in that one of the reasons we bought the tablet and paid $100 for the app was to have backup in the event our VegaTouch panel has a total failure. To be fair, the Entegra manual discloses that those functions aren’t available in the Creston Mobile Pro app, so it wasn’t like I didn’t know in advance. Even so, if the VegaTouch panel bites the dust, it would be nice to be able to control the HVAC systems and have hot water while waiting for a replacement.

We do have override switches for the three rooftop AC units, but as Gary Jones recently discovered, just because you can turn the AC units on doesn’t mean you can control what they do when they come on. As I recall, Gary had one unit cooling, one unit heating, and I can’t remember what the third one was doing.

In any case, I’m glad to have a secondary device with at least some of the functionality the VegaTouch panel provides, so I don’t regret buying the tablet and purchasing the Creston Mobile Pro app. My understanding is that the redesigned VegaTouch system in the 2019 models doesn’t use Creston software, so it’s possible that those of you with 2019’s will have a downloaded app that provides more complete control than Creston Mobile Pro.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2018, 04:18 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWBAZ View Post
2019 models doesn’t use Creston software, so it’s possible that those of you with 2019’s will have a downloaded app that provides more complete control than Creston Mobile Pro.
I talked to Firyfly briefly about an older tablet I have being compatible. In our conversation, the new Nebulis app is written and supported onsite by Firefly. They had the same frustration with Creston as others did and decided to write there own. JMO but if changes are needed, it looks like they can come fast and down loaded to the Vega Touch with a wifi connection.

I was not aware the Creston app had those kind of limitations. Gary I am sure had Nebulis loaded on his other devices...now I am wondering if the VT would not function at all when it crashed?
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I talked to Firyfly briefly about an older tablet I have being compatible. In our conversation, the new Nebulis app is written and supported onsite by Firefly. They had the same frustration with Creston as others did and decided to write there own. JMO but if changes are needed, it looks like they can come fast and down loaded to the Vega Touch with a wifi connection.

I was not aware the Creston app had those kind of limitations. Gary I am sure had Nebulis loaded on his other devices...now I am wondering if the VT would not function at all when it crashed?
Good question, Chuck. I've been assuming that if my VegaTouch panel died (i.e., went dark), I could use the Creston Mobile Pro app on the tablet to at least turn lights on & off, put shades up & down, turn the water pump on & off, etc.

If that's not the case, then about the only value of the app is being able to do those kinds of things without having to walk over to the VegaTouch panel.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Good question, Chuck. I've been assuming that if my VegaTouch panel died (i.e., went dark), I could use the Creston Mobile Pro app on the tablet to at least turn lights on & off, put shades up & down, turn the water pump on & off, etc.

If that's not the case, then about the only value of the app is being able to do those kinds of things without having to walk over to the VegaTouch panel.
If the vegatouch is down you can't control anything with the app, at least on our 2017.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin101 View Post
If the vegatouch is down you can't control anything with the app, at least on our 2017.
Lovely.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:09 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I had the Crestron app for the 17 & 18 and used it, never! In order for technology to be useful it should be easy to use. With the app, it’s easier to just get up and hit the switch. Even using it for tv was useless, very clunky. If anyone is thinking about it I would say don’t buy it. I wish I could give it away. JMHO
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:27 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Larry, that question is on my list to ask about the new vega touch. I am having my doubts if Gary could not get his to function when he had the crash.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:56 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Larry, that question is on my list to ask about the new vega touch. I am having my doubts if Gary could not get his to function when he had the crash.

I believe that the Vegatouch like most all electronics go wiggy periodically and require a full system reboot. My previous Vegatouchs did and I’m assuming the new one will. It’s why we have power shut offs everywhere. Inconsistent power, constant plugging in and unplugging. Systems coming on line differently, all with systems that operate in milli-amps. It’s no wonder we have issues but a reboot seems to almost always fix it. I assume the 19 will be the same way[emoji106]
Old 07-21-2018, 02:12 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for the heads up Gary, at least I know what to expect. I will make sure I understand all the reboot procedures and will not skim over those. Glad I'll have your expertise close by for a few days
Old 07-21-2018, 02:15 PM   #10

Gary, I agree that what you described will work in most instances. In fact, I've experienced exactly that on two separate occasions when I accidentally touched the VegaTouch panel and got a static discharge. The panel went black and didn't respond to anything. I was able to get it back by removing then restoring power via the salesman switch. As such, I concluded the VegaTouch panel has better static electricity protection than the light switch panels, which are easy to kill if you're not careful.

My concern is what to do if the VegaTouch panel goes dark and a reboot doesn't fix it. Just to make it interesting, let's say that occurred on a Friday evening, the soonest we could reach Firefly was Monday morning, and the soonest they could get a new panel to us was Tuesday afternoon.

It could be a very long three or four days, not being able to control air conditioners, turn lights on & off, put shades up & down, turn the Aqua-Hot on & off, etc.

Is that likely to happen? Don't know.

Would it be ugly if it did? Very.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:22 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Gary, I agree that what you described will work in most instances. In fact, I've experienced exactly that on two separate occasions when I accidentally touched the VegaTouch panel and got a static discharge. The panel went black and didn't respond to anything. I was able to get it back by removing then restoring power via the salesman switch. As such, I concluded the VegaTouch panel has better static electricity protection than the light switch panels, which are easy to kill if you're not careful.

My concern is what to do if the VegaTouch panel goes dark and a reboot doesn't fix it. Just to make it interesting, let's say that occurred on a Friday evening, the soonest we could reach Firefly was Monday morning, and the soonest they could get a new panel to us was Tuesday afternoon.

It could be a very long three or four days, not being able to control air conditioners, turn lights on & off, put shades up & down, turn the Aqua-Hot on & off, etc.

Is that likely to happen? Don't know.

Would it be ugly if it did? Very.

I can’t disagree with a thing you said except I’m too old to worry about it! If it happens, I’ll let you know the outcome![emoji3]
Old 07-21-2018, 03:02 PM   #12

Gary, I like your attitude!
Old 07-21-2018, 03:15 PM   #13

Guess that would be motel time!
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:53 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
For sure if the VT is out, the tablet won't work.

We had tablet connection issue and while that was being resolved, PJ took the VT for a software update.. When the Tablet issue was corrected, we were able to connect - but it would do nothing until the VT was reinstalled.

All was well - until the Matrix and the VT stopped talking to each other. And my patience level doesn't play well with the Matrix's 8+ second delay.

Love the tech.... When it works.