Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2016, 09:06 AM   #1

First MH Entegra or Used Newell

Hi all, I've been lurking here a while reading and learning about Entegras. I'm considering making my first MH purchase for a F/T coach. I've talked with several Entegra owners and all seem to be pleased with their coach. However, I am surprised about the number of problems with new coaches. Even though they have great service the frustration and inconvenience concern me.

I'd like to hear from those of you who know more than me about MHs how a 2004 Newell 45' four slide out would compare to a new Anthem. Assuming the Newall is in very good condition. It has 89K miles on a Detroit 60S 500 HP and a Powertech 20K generator with 2347 hours on it. I have not seen it in person yet but the pictures show it well maintained. Obviously it has been Well used. It's at Texas Motor Homes with a list price of $279 which is close to what I could by a new 2015 Anthem.

What do you think, new Anthem or used Newall?

Thanks
Mike&Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2016, 09:17 AM   #2

This is something that only you can think through.

We can't help you with that.

Maybe a useful parallel decision would help. Would you rather have a 15 year old Bently, or a new Lexus?

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:21 AM   #3

As a person also looking at purchasing my initial answer would be that there have been lots of improvements over the last 10 years in systems and technology. New you would have a full 2 year warranty. At 10 years I don't think the extended warranty companies would write an extended warranty for you to give you some level of protection.

And if you look at these forums, or really any forum, the 'problems' are always noticeable. Yet Entegra or Newmar always seems to take care of the customers. But out of all the Entegra coaches out there I would guess that only about 10-20% of owners are on the forums and the number of folks reporting systemic issues is a very small fraction of that total.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:39 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry, with all due respect to all of the current Entegra owners, I would most definitely choose the Newell versus a new Anthem.

In fact there are some great deals on used Prevost for around $400,000 versus a new Anthem or a Cornerstone.

HERE is another example.

And these will more than likely come with all of the twerks and problems already worked out of them by the original owners.

PLUS you don't have to take the BIG depreciation hit the moment you drive it off the dealer lot.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:39 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
We are going through the very same decision making right now. We've kept coming back to Entegra but then took a look at used Newells. We love the flat floor that can be fully covered in wood or tile and the interiors are contemporary (vs a more traditional look). We've looked at some 2007/2008's and were very impressed.

Aside from potential repair costs, what we've wondered is given a purchase price of say $425,000 for a used Newell and a new Cornerstone, will they depreciate identically? In theory it seems like a $1.2M coach should depreciate more slowly later in life, but I'm not sure if that's true from looking at used prices.

That's our question of the day! And if that's the case, then our decision still remains tough!
Old 01-27-2016, 09:44 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Hmmm, I guess if you are a mechanic it would work.

New vs. 12 years old.
2004 was the year Newell made some changes. I saw that it has the roof top A/C's that's good, used to be central. I don't know if the slide system was changed over to their newer system. 04 Newell had a terrible time with the air bladders for the slide rooms. Never worked right

89k miles would mean that once you cross the 100k miles, you would own this coach forever. No bank would finance this anymore.

Even Newell does not carry their own coach this old, for fear that it would cost them at least $30,000 to update all the systems to sell it.

Talk about a bottom-less pit. This coach would rate very high on the list.

Buy the 2015 Anthem.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:45 AM   #7
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Well, FWIW, you are not comparing apples with apples - the two very different. A new Newell is roughly $1.6 million - figure that the price of a new Entegra!
Having said that, I would go for a Newell any day! Entegras are good coaches, but they are not Newells! My 2 Cents.
Best of luck with your decision!
Old 01-27-2016, 09:50 AM   #8
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbusguy View Post
Hmmm, I guess if you are a mechanic it would work.

New vs. 12 years old.
2004 was the year Newell made some changes. I saw that it has the roof top A/C's that's good, used to be central. I don't know if the slide system was changed over to their newer system. 04 Newell had a terrible time with the air bladders for the slide rooms. Never worked right

89k miles would mean that once you cross the 100k miles, you would own this coach forever. No bank would finance this anymore.

Even Newell does not carry their own coach this old, for fear that it would cost them at least $30,000 to update all the systems to sell it.

Talk about a bottom-less pit. This coach would rate very high on the list.

Buy the 2015 Anthem.
I would tend to respectfully disagree - but to each his/her own! Note I do not own either at this point!.
Travel Safely!
Old 01-27-2016, 10:12 AM   #9
CVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Sorry, with all due respect to all of the current Entegra owners, I would most definitely choose the Newell versus a new Anthem.
Respect right back at you, but... Anyone considering this scenario should drive each for as an extended drive that they can. Then report back. Some of the older high dollar coaches were nice but they hearken back memories of my parents old carpeting. I vote new Entegra. I won't even start on the financials.
CVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:17 AM   #10

Spartan Chassis
As you can see by previous posts you are the only one that can really answer that question concerning your needs, means, and desires.

Here are a couple points for you to consider.
1. The single highest day of depreciation any RV ever sees is the day it is driven off the showroom floor.
2. Yes, new coaches are going to have manufacturing faults that should be worked out on an older coach.
3. Older coaches are going to have things start to wear out and break as time goes on.
4. Keep in mind that an RV is basically a house on wheels that is not constructed nearly as well as your sticks&bricks. Yet you are going to subject it to something like a 4.0 earthquake for several hours each day as your roll down the U.S. highways. Can we really expect "things" to not move around, break, and fall off? It's just part of the price you pay for the privilege of 'driving your closet vs packing a suitcase every day'!

As you can see from my signature I drive a 2004 model coach because I can't justify/afford a 2016. Plus we like our floorplan better than anything new on the market today.

I am mechanically minded and do all of the maintenance I physically can to my coach. If you don't enjoy working on them you need to be prepared to shell out a ton of money to repair guys for everyday stuff that IS going to happen, be it a new coach or a ten year old one.

Good luck to ya and know that what ever decision you make it will be the right one for you at that date and time. You can always change your mind at a later date. They are not going to stop building new coaches and there will always be exceptional used coaches available!
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:36 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I've spent time at Newell doing a review on them and tested them. Obviously, also familiar with Entegra. We had always given thought that buying a used Newell would be a good move. The Newell is built from the ground up, chassis included. Their engineering and quality are top shelf. When we were at Newell a couple of years back and spent some time with the 2020P model currently being made I was very impressed with what I saw.

Then I looked at the used coaches on the lot. While the used coaches were holding together quite well, they just seemed dated. Floorplans and amenities have changed over the years and everything was just dated. I also realized that a coach of this caliber will have maintenance requirements that are above the norm. The engineering in them is high tech enough that it would be too costly for someone like myself to afford to maintain. For one who has the money, owning a late model Newell would be a great coach but to buy a lower cost used Newell could prove to be expensive in the long run for someone who is stretching to afford it.

One other point is that if you buy a used Newell from the factory, they will cost significantly more than $279K. But they go through it and do any needed repairs and offer your a great warranty. Buying a used Newell from a dealer won't have any of that and your odds of future out-of-pocket expenses are much greater. Then there's the cost of insurance, the ability to finance an older coach and those other intangibles that also come into play.

I think that if you found a used Newell at the factory that had the floorplan and décor that you like and had the funds to both purchase the coach and handle any future maintenance you would have a great coach. But if a new Anthem is in your price range I would suggest sticking with the Anthem.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:52 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhud View Post
Hi all, I've been lurking here a while reading and learning about Entegras. I'm considering making my first MH purchase for a F/T coach. I've talked with several Entegra owners and all seem to be pleased with their coach. However, I am surprised about the number of problems with new coaches. Even though they have great service the frustration and inconvenience concern me.
Don't delude yourself. If you think an old Newell would be completely trouble-free you are mistaken. If there were a Newell owners topic on IRV2, you would be hearing about their problems too. No motorhome, regardless how fine or expensive, will be free of problems. Whether new or used, even a Newell or Prevost will have problems. You just don't hear about them to the same extent because their owners are less numerous and less visible as are the owners on this forum.

The frustration and inconvenience you are concerned are part of RV ownership regardless of the age or the brand. It is part of the cost of ownership.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:14 AM   #13
CVO

Cruzer, your so much more eloquent than me. Must be that southern Wisconsin culture or maybe you eat more cheese.
CVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 12:07 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
We are actually in negotiations with Newell for a 2006 unit coming in on trade. They will do a 150 point complete inspection and fix whatever they find, but they will only offer a 30 day warranty. They only offer a 2 year warranty for units 8 years old or less.

This is a taste thing, but I feel some Newells seem less dated than Entegra (Newells without all the BRASS and GOLD finishings that many came with) The one coming in is all stainless steel inside. Looks nice. The interior of Entegra feels more traditional.

The big question as Cruzer points out: risk of buying used. Especially a Newell with high-tech features.

Lots to consider.