Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2016, 10:35 AM   #15
rbr

Entegra Owners Club
FL Sunpass

No expert, but Im not sure you need two in FL. I just have one stick-on that's in my toad and the Sun-Pass sensors tracked axles correctly when I towed up the Suncoast Parkway last spring.

(Posted via iOS App)
rbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2016, 11:38 AM   #16

We have 2 Transponders 1 in Coach high centre windshield and 1 in Toad by mirror. They are EZ Pass and work fine.
bill2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 12:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill2011 View Post
We have 2 Transponders 1 in Coach high centre windshield and 1 in Toad by mirror. They are EZ Pass and work fine.
In Florida ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 12:15 PM   #18

If you have a portable transponder, it's registered for use on your vehicles, with your plate numbers on record. Wild guess, but if you have it in the windshield of the MH, it's cool reading the plate on the toad as it goes by.
Old 12-25-2016, 12:15 PM   #19

We have our transponder mounted center and bottom of the windshield on our rig. No issues.

"Finally"

Sent from somewhere in the USA
Finally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 12:15 PM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
There are 2 types of transponders, the hard box type..movable, place it anywhere $30. Or a sticker bar code, stick in the windshield of one vehicle only, it is stuck to the windshield and cannot be moved. $10.

If you want to use it in different vehicles pay the $30. The toll camera counts the number of axles going through the booth. To use it in the toad put it on the dash....done

If you have the stick in the windshield, that is the only vehicle that can be used. If you want one for the toad and the MH, you will have to buy two $10. transponders and have 2 accounts.
In Florida, you can have multiple transponders on one account.

I have the stick on ($10) in the coach. I have the removal transponder for the tow vehicle. There are times I drive the coach to Orlando (without towed) for service work. Other times, I drive my car to Orlando to go to the Apple Store () and I put the transponder in the windshield.

When towing, I place the tow vehicle transponder into the protective pouch to prevent it from reading. Otherwise, you can get charged twice....

So far, this has worked perfectly for me....no overcharges and no missed tolls.
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Dr. Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 12:17 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
If you have a portable transponder, it's registered for use on your vehicles, with your plate numbers on record. Wild guess, but if you have it in the windshield of the MH, it's cool reading the plate on the toad as it goes by.

I have my trailer plate added to my sunpass account.

"Finally"

Sent from somewhere in the USA
Finally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 02:06 PM   #22

You can buy a sticker/decal for each vehicle that is not transferable or you can buy a portable transponder that can be moved between vehicles.

The decals are one to one registration with a single vehicle per the tag number.

I have the portable transponder and have all 5 of our vehicles registered to my sunpass account.

I have it mounted in the RV most of the time and if we have the Jeep in tow we get bulled for 5 axles, if not we get billed for 3 axles.

Once in a blue moon if we travel in something other than the RV, we move the transponder to that vehicle and since all of them are on the account we get billed accordingly.

I was looking at $25.00 in decals or a single $20.00 transponder, it was a simple math decision.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-12-25 at 4.00.36 PM.png
Views:	590
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	147430  
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited(his)
bamaspiveys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 02:19 PM   #23

A funny story...I don't have a Sunpass. When I got home to Ohio, I got a bill from FDOT for 76 cents (plus a $3.00 handling fee). Don't let this happen to you...lol.
cinscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 02:31 PM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
Dr Q, I guess you could put as many $10. stick on transponders on one CC as you want. I have 4 vehicles and one transponder, and like twin boat, sometimes take another vehicle. I guess I find that easier for my needs.

I know FL doesn't care how you do it as long as they get money. The more transponders the sell, the better they like it.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 02:50 PM   #25

I was told the following. However, it has never been the situation for me. What I was told was never have transponders on both my Anthem and the Honda showing. I was told that the Anthem transponder will count 5 axles and the Honda transponder will count 2 (its registered as a "car"). That would be 7. So, When towing I only have the transponder permanently mounted to the windshield of the Anthem and the Honda's transponder is stored inside an aluminum foil packet. The only time we have the Honda transponder mounted is when the Honda is used by itself.

Oh, and a 3 axle motorcoach and a towed car are counted the same as a semi-tractor trailer truck.... 5 axles, I think everywhere except for New York or Massachusetts which gives you credit for a coach and a car, but I think only if your EZ-Pass is registered in New York or Mass.

Now, when I had the Anthem transponder mounted up near the top of the windshield and behind the sunscreen area, I ran a toll booth not knowing that it did not handshake with the sensor... So, I got the relatively huge penalty of the cost of sending me the paper bill in addition to the toll. What was interesting was that the only picture that the equipment captured was the Honda plates and not the Anthem plate.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 07:53 PM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
OK, thanks all.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:29 PM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
NC Quickpass works in GA, FL, WV and it worked all over the NE this summer except one toll booth missed it and paid there.

Positioned as Marc said - below the dash sight line (for the driver). Second transponder in aluminum bag in glove compartment

Was told that all systems were mandated to take transponders from any state by some date in 2016. Apparently that happened so you can get your transponder(s) wherever is convenient. Don't shoot if that info isn't correct, but it seemed to work for us.
Old 12-26-2016, 05:32 AM   #28

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Dr Q, I guess you could put as many $10. stick on transponders on one CC as you want. I have 4 vehicles and one transponder, and like twin boat, sometimes take another vehicle. I guess I find that easier for my needs.

I know FL doesn't care how you do it as long as they get money. The more transponders the sell, the better they like it.
Yeah, I have pretty much the same situation, although with only 2 vehicles.

I guess for me, it's more about the convenience of having the transponder with me in the proper vehicle. I would never remember to take the transponder out of the coach and my coach is sitting in a storage lot.

Right now, I'm trying to stay off the turnpike so I can afford to put some LED's on this old coach of mine
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Dr. Q is offline   Reply With Quote