Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2017, 02:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorr1821 View Post
Need to setup my 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 4x4 to flat tow. Trying to decide on Roadmaster or Blue Ox for base plate and tow bar. Considering AirForce One brake system. If I go with AirForce One I am considering going to their facility in IN and have them do all wiring and install of base plate and brake system. They said the would install either Blue Ox or Roadmaster.

Comments.
Hi, I just got a 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk to tow behind our Phaeton, and I was wondering how your set went, and if you have experienced any of the wobble issues associated with the Electric Power Steering that Cherokee owners have experienced. Thanks, Bruce
bpmcclure is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2017, 02:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurninDiesel View Post
See Attached Files
Just a fwiw, the holes in the fuse box lid for the cable ties need to be sealed if not already sealed. On the SMI web page, they used Velcro to attach the Air Force 1 box to the fuse box lid for the Grand Cherokee. No holes in the lid. Their video is very detailed regarding the install.
hdridermlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:35 AM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmcclure View Post
Hi, I just got a 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk to tow behind our Phaeton, and I was wondering how your set went, and if you have experienced any of the wobble issues associated with the Electric Power Steering that Cherokee owners have experienced. Thanks, Bruce
I have not installed the base plate, wired for lights or supplemental brake system. I don't have my shop anymore so I plan on having it done at the Airforce One facility in IN. There labor rate is reasonable compared to the Kerrville TX area my current location. However, I have decided to use Blue Ox and Airforce One over Roadmaster. Both companies make good products. Blue Ox gives a three year warranty and Roadmaster one year. The cost of parts from RV Upgrades is about $400 less for the tow bar and base plate. I also have decided that I will use a bulb and socket as recommended by blue ox for my tail and brake lights. Roadmaster recommends using diodes which I have used on previous vehicles however it is more invasive. You run the risk of comprising the vehicle electrical system which is not covered by warranty.

As to the point on wheel wobble I am not concerned this will be an issue. I believe the problem has been over stated on the web. I also have heard this problem was more apparent in the Jeep Cherokee model and not the Grand Cherokee. I do believe that having the tow bar level or not more than +/- 3 out of level could have a major impact on towing stability. if I have a problem it will become a Chrysler problem to fix, since my Grand Cherokee is under warranty and the owners manual states it can be towed with no speed stipulation.

Motorhome owners have seen a decline in the number of vehicles that can be flat towed. Based on my research the Jeep and a few 4x4 pickups are about the only new vehicles that can be towed without speed stipulation of 65 mph and/or other special requirements. My fear is that should you have a transmission problem in these vehicles the dealers are going to claim you exceeded the speed limits. It may come to a point that trailer or dolly may be the only choice which is not a good for me.

Let me know if you experience a problem. Happy trails!
rorr1821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:25 PM   #18

On my 2016 Anthem I use a Roadmaster Sterling towbar and my 2016 Jeep trailhawk has the roadmaster EZ-5 series base plate.
This setup is easy to hitch/unhitch and the jeep connectors are easy to remove in twistlock fashion. They are mounted in place of the red tow hooks that are on your Jeep.
For the brake I use a RVI brake system which can easily be moved from vehicle to vehicle and also has a remote control that plugs into a 12v powerpoint in the coach as well as connection to keep your battery in the Jeep charged.
Have towed over 8500 miles coast to coast with this setup and so far no problems.
Balladeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:56 AM   #19

Flat Towing 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk

I'm using the blue ox, with the m & g engineering braking system on a 2016 escalade. Pretty clean and simple system.
B.Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:10 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Towing 2017 Jeep Grand Cherkee TrailHawk

I am also towing a 2017 Jeep GC Trailhawk with a Blue Ox Baseplate and using an RVI3 Brake. So far no issues, has there been any reports of the wobble with this model?
Old 04-23-2017, 07:24 AM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Jeep Grand Cherokee tow bar connection

I have towed my vehicle about 2000 miles and have experienced no problems. I have the Blue Ox Avail tow bar and base plate. I have the Airforce One which seems to work well. I was going to install a 2" drop receiver so the tow bar would be parallel to the ground, however my Jeep seems to be high enough so it is not needed. The tow bar might be 1"or 2" out of parallel. The Jeep has a height adjustment but I always tow a normal driving height. Has anyone found it necessary to add a drop receiver to tow the 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk model?
rorr1821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:13 AM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
We've been towing our Jeep GC Summit for a few years now with no issues. We have a Blue Ox tow plate and the Roadmaster All-Terrain tow bar. Best of both worlds for us - easy to hook/unhook. We didn't go with AF1 for our braking system, but I think we would if we doing it over again. We used the Roadmaster braking system. Works well, easy installation when we upgraded to the GC - and has made a difference in panic stop situations - but I would spend the extra $$ for the AF1 next time.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:08 AM   #23

I am considering purchasing a 2016 or 2017 Jeep GC Trailhawk to tow behind a 43 foot Newmar Ventana. The Jeep GC Owners Manual indicates this model is the only acceptable model for flat towing. Any experience out there that would indicate this is not a good option? I saw some where that there was a wobble problem.
WDB Ventana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:48 AM   #24

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Good View Post
I'm using the blue ox, with the m & g engineering braking system on a 2016 escalade. Pretty clean and simple system.

M & G does not make a system for the Jeep GC so OP can not use it on his.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:53 AM   #25

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB Ventana View Post
I am considering purchasing a 2016 or 2017 Jeep GC Trailhawk to tow behind a 43 foot Newmar Ventana. The Jeep GC Owners Manual indicates this model is the only acceptable model for flat towing. Any experience out there that would indicate this is not a good option? I saw some where that there was a wobble problem.

Wobble has been limited to the Cherokee, no reports of it on the GC. I have over 10k miles towing '16 GC Limited with RM Sterling, SMI Duo (hydraulic brakes on coach)
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 01:44 AM   #26

The wobble is due to EPS on the Cherokee. Dealer can install kit from Chrysler that eliminates issue. I use Blue Ox nameplates because ease of installation concealed look. Look into the Ready Brute Elite tow bar with integral braking. Works flawlessly and will save you a ton.
rogelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:27 AM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogelling View Post
The wobble is due to EPS on the Cherokee. Dealer can install kit from Chrysler that eliminates issue. I use Blue Ox nameplates because ease of installation concealed look. Look into the Ready Brute Elite tow bar with integral braking. Works flawlessly and will save you a ton.
What Rog said about the Brake System and tow bar built into one. I am on my 6th year with it, it works perfect and is about as simple as one can get to install.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:34 AM   #28

I appreciate the input and advice. Your experiences and recommendations give me confidence to proceed. Thanks so much!
WDB Ventana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing