Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2020, 05:48 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Fly Fishing Return From Northern Idaho

We will spend June in northern Idaho then work our way back to a North Texas. We have lots of options for our return route. We like Moab and would like to visit a friend in the Farmington, NM area. My goal is to visit as many fly fishing areas as possible. Farmington area lends itself to fly fishing the San Juan but there aren’t any highly rated RV parks in the area.

I’m looking for recommendations on route and parks. We will go from Northern Idaho back to Boise but can make a fishing delay enroute.

Thanks in advance.
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2020, 08:22 PM   #2

I love to fly fish as well so I'll share my experiences. Two areas we visited in 2018 (1) Pagosa Springs, CO - Wolf Run Motorcoach Resort. Very nice campground right on the San Juan river. Had a great time there fishing. (2) Creed, CO - Mountain Views Campground on the Rio Grande river. River is directly behind the campground. Great fishing.

This summer (July) we are heading to Southwest Montana. Numerous rivers there. Campgrounds are not fancy but there are adequate ones available. PM sometime if you are interested in our destinations and campgrounds.

Allen
wam16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 08:36 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do either of you guys fish wet flies? Or just dry flies?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 09:48 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Do either of you guys fish wet flies? Or just dry flies?

Arch - I try to fish whatever they will eat! Not always successful but sure enjoy trying!
Old 03-14-2020, 10:19 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Grew up fly fishing in central Pennsylvania and usually did better with wet flies after a storm. Little harder to hook them but once you learned how to feel them hit the fly you'd do pretty good.

Moved to California about 40 years ago and quit fly fishing. Still go out in the front yard every now and then to practice.

The prices have sure gone up on rods and reels....insane.
Old 03-15-2020, 12:01 PM   #6

I think I'm like most, prefer Dry flies because you can see the strike. However I've had good luck fishing wet with an indicator. It may be weird but I just enjoy being in a freestone river fishing whatever they are feeding on. Its great fun to catch trout, but I enjoy it even if I don't catch anything.

Allen
Old 03-15-2020, 12:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBart View Post
We will go from Northern Idaho back to Boise but can make a fishing delay enroute.
How far North in N. ID?

Head East and South... Bighorn to the Snake to the Green?
Old 03-15-2020, 12:49 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The good part of not catching any fish is that you don't have to clean any either....
Old 03-15-2020, 03:41 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
How far North in N. ID?

Head East and South... Bighorn to the Snake to the Green?

We are spending a month near Ceour d’Alene. Looks like there may some good fly fishing on the river north of the lake.

We may go East from there rather than south to get home.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBart View Post
We will spend June in northern Idaho then work our way back to a North Texas. We have lots of options for our return route. We like Moab and would like to visit a friend in the Farmington, NM area. My goal is to visit as many fly fishing areas as possible. Farmington area lends itself to fly fishing the San Juan but there aren’t any highly rated RV parks in the area.

I’m looking for recommendations on route and parks. We will go from Northern Idaho back to Boise but can make a fishing delay enroute.

Thanks in advance.
There are two areas you must visit near that area; Ennis, located in southwest Montana and Missoula. Both offer some of the best trout fishing in the USA. Ennis offers several rivers nearby. The Madison, Beaverhead, Big Hole and several others who's names will stay secret. I will never give up my favorite honey holes. If you visit the Madison river fly shop in Ennis, they will have the rivers names on their daily chalk board. All of the rivers there offer rainbow and brown trout along with whitefish. If you want to fish for cuts head in to Yellowstone and fish the Yellowstone, soda butte and Lamar rivers. The scenery is breath taking and the fishing is top notch

Rock Creek in Missoula offers a broad variety of Trout including Bull trout, cuts brown, rainbow and more. Again the scenery is off the charts. We will be there late June into July. I'm sure there are other great rivers nearby, but I've had such good luck in the rivers I mentioned, I've never fished them

In summary:
the biggest fish are at the damn in the mouth of the Beaverhead. It's not unusual to see 24" bows there, fat and angry. If they run you better be swift and chase them. Otherwise they will shake you

The other rivers also have an abundance of great holes. The fish are not as big, but they are plentyfull. Have fun and report back please
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 10:21 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks to everyone for all the great info.

So many places to fish, so little time.
Old 03-18-2020, 06:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wam16 View Post
I love to fly fish as well so I'll share my experiences. Two areas we visited in 2018 (1) Pagosa Springs, CO - Wolf Run Motorcoach Resort. Very nice campground right on the San Juan river. Had a great time there fishing. (2) Creed, CO - Mountain Views Campground on the Rio Grande river. River is directly behind the campground. Great fishing.

This summer (July) we are heading to Southwest Montana. Numerous rivers there. Campgrounds are not fancy but there are adequate ones available. PM sometime if you are interested in our destinations and campgrounds.

Allen
there is one nice campground in Ennis. The rest are pretty bare bones, basic style
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 10:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy110 View Post
there is one nice campground in Ennis. The rest are pretty bare bones, basic style
I have been trying to make a reservation at Ennis RV Village but they so far have not responded. Apparently they don't open until 4/1/20. Is this the campground you are referencing?

Thanks,

Allen
Old 03-19-2020, 10:27 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Don’t miss the Henry’s Fork in Island Park, ID in between Yellowstone and Grand Teton, or The South Fork near Idaho Falls.

Don’t get me started on Wyoming or I’ll be typing all day.

June is early for ID especially for Northern ID. Peak Run Off is late June.