Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2017, 07:20 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla tom View Post
I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan on my phone but can't use it as a hot spot/wifi source according to Verizon. How does one use the grandfathered plan for a hot spot?
If you have an Android phone, find Foxfi on the app store. You need Foxfi free and the paid license (about $4.99, IIRC). That gives you a hotspot that costs you nothing going forward, as it is outside of Verizon. It works great and is all perfectly legal, due to a court case, but VZ isn't about to tell you.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2017, 05:18 AM   #30

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
If you have an Android phone, find Foxfi on the app store. You need Foxfi free and the paid license (about $4.99, IIRC). That gives you a hotspot that costs you nothing going forward, as it is outside of Verizon. It works great and is all perfectly legal, due to a court case, but VZ isn't about to tell you.
X2 I have been using that app for years. I only have a 4GB plan and it's worked great for surfing and emails, no streaming or emails with attached videos. I am shopping for a new plan now. Verizon charges by the GB starting at 1 and goes up $15 per Gig. Unlimited plans are $60. a month more than I am paying now.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 06:58 AM   #31

I managed to get a mobley under the old unlimited plans at $20/month and assumed that it came with a USB port in it so I could add a WIFI router to it and get a stronger signal and the ability to have all my WIFI devices connect through it. However, when it arrived, no USB port so the WIFI router I bought is of no use.

Anyone know if that means that I got an old Mobley and a new one would have a USB port, or if I look for a updated Mobley hotspot, I invalidate my unlimited plan or greatly increase the price per month (my guess).

Now I have two hotspots.... the mobley for ATT and the MIFI from Verizon, but I cut way back on my committed monthly gigabyte block that I was paying for (gigs ) so I am paying about the same amount, but have all the connectivity I want.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:22 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
I managed to get a mobley under the old unlimited plans at $20/month and assumed that it came with a USB port in it so I could add a WIFI router to it and get a stronger signal and the ability to have all my WIFI devices connect through it. However, when it arrived, no USB port so the WIFI router I bought is of no use.

Anyone know if that means that I got an old Mobley and a new one would have a USB port, or if I look for a updated Mobley hotspot, I invalidate my unlimited plan or greatly increase the price per month (my guess).

Now I have two hotspots.... the mobley for ATT and the MIFI from Verizon, but I cut way back on my committed monthly gigabyte block that I was paying for (gigs ) so I am paying about the same amount, but have all the connectivity I want.

Gary
Does your mobley have this above the reset button. If so pop it out and you will find the usb port. Once you open it up the cap does not go back on.Click image for larger version

Name:	20171112_091859.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	182685
Old 11-12-2017, 07:28 AM   #33

Entegra Owners Club
Wineman told me you could purchase the newer mifi (has USB) than the Mobley, put the Mobley SIMS card in it and it will work on the $20. a month plan.

Next season I plan on using my wifi router by having it sit next the the Mobley and pointing the antenna at it. Not as sophisticated as a USB port, but hey, I am use to old school and making things work.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:07 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
I have an I phone any app for it?
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:48 AM   #35

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fla tom View Post
I have an I phone any app for it?
No, Apple sewed that up tighter than a drum, unless you jailbreak the phone, then it's wide open
My biggest reason for staying with Verizon was the Foxfi app that Verizon lost the lawsuit on and had to make it available on there Android phones. They also paid a 125 million $ fine.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:02 AM   #36

Like Chuck says. We have the grandfathered Verizon unlimited. My wife's iPhone is jailbroken with Pangu, not that I had anything to do with that.

I have an google Nexus 6p and am rooted (much easier) and tether natively without any special app.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:02 AM   #37

We actually have a Verison MiFi hotspot, but we cancelled the service (and paid the cancellation fee) after figuring out that we could use the phone instead. BTW, we never have actually used the phone as the hotspot. So the MiFi is sitting around somewhere, if I get the Foxfi app, will the MiFi work again? We are not paying Verison for the second phone line that was used for the MiFi.

Beyond complicated!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:12 AM   #38

Entegra Owners Club
The Foxfi app uses the data you are paying for on your plan . Your phone becomes the mifi
Launch the app and you're off and running
Google Foxfi to see the phones and carrier's supported from their website
Old 11-12-2017, 09:27 AM   #39

brobox-i dont get it; why foxfi when our phone can also be used as a hotspot/
Old 11-12-2017, 09:39 AM   #40

I can call Verizon and add the mobile hotspot capability to my service. They then charge me, I think, $10 a month to be able to use the phone as a hotspot. Or I can buy Foxfi for a one-time charge of $4.99 and had a hotspot. The math says which way to go.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:42 AM   #41

ok, deegee, got it. anyway to keep money in my pocket from going to verizon
Old 11-12-2017, 09:44 AM   #42

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
brobox-i dont get it; why foxfi when our phone can also be used as a hotspot/
No monthly hotspot fee. Only restriction is how much data you are paying for on your plan.

Tags
offer, verizon