Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Fridge failure

DW opened the freezer this morning to start breakfast and a deluge poured out (picture the overflowing bathtub in a cartoon). The fridge failed sometime during the night, freezer was 54, fridge 64. Everything in the freezer thawed to include the ice which flooded. The carpet is soaked almost to the TV. Water also flooded the basement. I think the ice maker was caught in a fill cycle and ran water most of the night.

PJ jumped right in, seems GE won't work on it unless it's out of the cabinet so he has to find an RV guy to pull it out then a GE guy to work on it then an RV guy to put it back. The GE guy is coming tomorrow between 8 and 5. He hast found an RV guy yet. Jacob said they will get a water restoration person out to dry everything if we want. I just hope the water doesn't wick up the woodwork.

All the freezer stuff is now in the basement freezer. We will get ice for the ice chest to keep drinks cold. We can't explore Hot Springs for a while so we may have to stay a couple extra days!
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #2

Is this a residential unit? We have problems with our Dometic and were told to turn off the AES switch and just run on gas. It is working now. Repair scheduled for Monday.

Pushed by a KITTY KAT
wallynm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:28 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Wow! So sorry to hear this...first time I've heard of a residential refrigerator (even in a house) doing this. Make sure you use the water restoration folks...got to completely dry out the carpet, pads, etc above and below.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Wow!, I hate to hear that. I am sure you checked the circuit breaker for the frig just in case. I hope it is an isolated incident and a simple fix. Please keep us posted when you find the problem, hopefully nobody ever needs the solution. Good luck with the drying of the unit and hopefully no damage.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
The local GE tech is only here on Wed and Fri. He can't get to us until Fri then will likely have to order parts because of low overhead. They would come back Mon-Wed to finish the repair then the RV guy would have to come back and reinstall it. We decided to just drive back home on Sat and let MHSRV have it to repair along with the other items on our punch list.

The fridge looks like it is running, lights and a blower sound but no cool.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Thank you for that update. I have added to my "check list" to let the refrig run with the ice maker turned off as soon as I get the new Anthem until we take our first trip. I would rather have it quit while it's in storage than on our shakedown trip. Posts like your make this forum a wealth of information. Thanks.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Fridge heal thyself!

Our fridge woke up! I looked a few minutes ago and it is 16 and 43 degrees! It's been 54 and 63 all day.

It is still going to MHSRV on Monday. The ice maker is also staying off until we get it repaired/replaced.

We have a freezer full of food that thawed and DW refuses to eat.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:32 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
The water traveled farther than we thought. The carpet is soaked all the way to the TV stand. The area inside the dinette console is soaked to include the theater woofer. Our pub bag was at the end of the dinette console and it wicked water halfway up most of the documents and manuals. Water wicked up the outside wall.

We will offer to leave here and go to Middleberry rather than back to North Texas.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
That is terrible. I think Middleberry is a wise choice. You must be just sick, I know I was when I read your post. I feel your pain and really feel bad for you. I sure hope it works out OK.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:03 PM   #10

One more reason we have never used the ice maker in any coach. So sorry to hear about your dilema. I to feel Middleberry is a wise choice.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:11 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
The guys at Middleberry are very busy but offered to work us in as soon as we could get there to work the fridge issue only. If the could work our other issues we would probably go on up there but 1100 miles is a long way to travel to not work everything on our list.

A water restoration tech is on his way to see what can be done to minimize the likelihood of mold and mildew.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:17 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
We have 2 blowers and an industrial dehumidifier running in the living room for the next 2 days. We had to move to the bedroom because of noise.

We realized the DVD player in the bedroom is not BluRay which is all we brought with us so......... Someone left their test DVD in the machine so we got to watch Ratatouille! We will return it to MHSRV next week.

We also discovered the subwoofer, which is under the bed, was never hooked up; bare wires coming out the back.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:34 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Glad to hear that a restoration crew got there with their equipment. Is there any signs of water damage? Hopefully it is drying out with no damage.

Sounds like a trip to Red Box might be in order, I hope there is one in the area. What a thing to happen on a shakedown cruise.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:46 AM   #14

So sorry to hear about the fridge. I just went through 2 separate water leaks in my home. Make sure to ask for a deminition in value payment and ask if this would be reported on a car fax. Hold their feet to the fire bc water damage is perm unless everything touched by water is replaced and if it is reported to car fax it will decrease the value of your coach.
Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote