Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2023, 05:08 AM   #15

Holy cow, I was thinking about retroband. I’m going to rethink.
The dash cam video is why $100 dash cam can help in many ways.
I have one in the motorhome, one in the jeep dash, one in the Jeep rear window.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2023, 06:24 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like a simple installation issue. The steel banding in version 2.0 prevents the band itself from stretching and failing. My guess is that the mechanism was overtorqued (air ratchet maybe?) and the rod was stretched, allowing it to eventually fail. Has to be a rare occurrence and with proper training it shouldn't happen again.

I've been through that shaking with version 1.0 and it wasn't that hard to keep control and slow the coach down. I would gladly gamble on the remote odds of a Rettroband ratchet failing and causing a shake than gamble on traveling without Rettrobands and experience a blowout at highway speeds. The stakes are too high and the odds not favorable on that gamble.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 06:58 AM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Mark,I totally agree with you. The rare situation photos with Rettrobands sure beats the 1000's of photos posted of tire blowouts without Retrobands. I would much rather have a remount timeout than six month in a body shop waiting for repairs and parts. Or worse yet, waiting for the insurance claim to replace the coach and all items lost. Some not replaceable. I'll stick with the Rettroband option.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 07:15 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Dash cams are a must! Rob was going 64 (my favorite speed), can you imagine this at 70-75??
shepardmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 08:11 AM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
Sounds like a simple installation issue. The steel banding in version 2.0 prevents the band itself from stretching and failing. My guess is that the mechanism was overtorqued (air ratchet maybe?) and the rod was stretched, allowing it to eventually fail. Has to be a rare occurrence and with proper training it shouldn't happen again.

I've been through that shaking with version 1.0 and it wasn't that hard to keep control and slow the coach down. I would gladly gamble on the remote odds of a Rettroband ratchet failing and causing a shake than gamble on traveling without Rettrobands and experience a blowout at highway speeds. The stakes are too high and the odds not favorable on that gamble.
Brett explained that if the tightening of the two gearboxes isn't done a little at a time, alternately on each side, the rod can bend and be weakened.

I agree that it wasn't that hard to control, there was no pulling to one side or the other. I think the Webcam was bouncing a little on its mount too, accentuating the motion somewhat. Still, it was a bit disconcerting when it let go and feeling the wheel oscillating was a bit scary, but now that I know what it was, it's clear there was no real danger of losing control. As soon as I got down to about 30mph it leveled out.

Also totally agree I would rather have the Rettrobands peace of mind and protection from a blowout, which could be totally catastrophic compared to a little shaking. I'm sure my case is just a freak occurrence.

And I agree Chuck, if I had been more aware, all I would have needed is a mobile tire person. I watched the tech unmount the tire with just hand tools, came off pretty easy. Of course he had a big ass pneumatic air gun to get the lugs off and on.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 08:33 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Yep, when mine let go I found ever spec of dust that was in the coach. It rained dust pretty good for a while

I carry tire tools so I got off the Tri-State tollway at an Oasis that was close for construction work and knocked down the tire and removed the pieces of Rettroband right there and was on my way. A bead breaking hammer, tire bars, some tire lube and a torque multiplier did the trick. Didn't want to spend any more time in Chicago than I had to.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 08:45 AM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
Yep, when mine let go I found ever spec of dust that was in the coach. It rained dust pretty good for a while

I carry tire tools so I got off the Tri-State tollway at an Oasis that was close for construction work and knocked down the tire and removed the pieces of Rettroband right there and was on my way. A bead breaking hammer, tire bars, some tire lube and a torque multiplier did the trick. Didn't want to spend any more time in Chicago than I had to.
Uh oh! I feel like my coach is going to get a little heavier pretty soon!

JR, my tire tech, uses Dawn liquid soap as a removal lube and some slippery grease like stuff he calls "snot" as a remount lube. I was impressed how fast he got that tire on and off.
Old 03-28-2023, 09:39 AM   #22

What was also obvious was how terrible the roadway was before it let go... I'm in Arizona now and Arizona must have been spending its road maintenance money on COVID immunizations, because Arizona's roads (Interstates specifically) are in terrible shape .... mile after mile after mile of (-10, I-8, and I-20 in Texas) are incredibly rough interstates. I-10 is a disaster. I-10 is the worst. Arizona's own roads are in much better shape.

It looks like months ago, they milled off 80% of the blacktop (or 80% of the blacktop over concrete has worn off completely), but 20% remains and you are just driving from one uneven place to another and at 64n or 68 (common speeds) we are just pounding the wheels and tires. Inside the coach it is a terrible racket from those big, very loaded 365 or 315 front tires/wheels hitting those crappy, poorly maintained roads.

Regardless, your wheels were taking a beating in that lane immediately before the bolt failed in the video and I'd bet the pounding that the wheels were taking traveling over that rough road were the immediate cause of that failure of the weakened bolt.

Nice job of bringing the coach to the breakdown lane Rob. Another reason both hands need to be on the steering wheel at all times.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 10:05 AM   #23

And Rob, I'd love to know what the "snot" really is. If you can find out from your guy, please write about it here on the forum and it will go intop"The Files"..

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 11:23 AM   #24

Just thinking (I know, it dangerous)

I wonder if the tire has been damaged by the excess vibration? The way the coach was jumping, is the tire taking a heavy load and then load released? I know the shocks got a workout. You might check your front shock mounts to make sure they didn't get damaged.
Old 03-29-2023, 02:09 AM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojack View Post
Just thinking (I know, it dangerous)

I wonder if the tire has been damaged by the excess vibration? The way the coach was jumping, is the tire taking a heavy load and then load released? I know the shocks got a workout. You might check your front shock mounts to make sure they didn't get damaged.
For sure that was a concern, but the extreme vibration was only for a few seconds, but then yes we did drive 12 miles at 25mph. Maybe the bigger concern was if the loose Rettroband was flopping around enough to cut up the inside of the tire. We inspected that when we pulled the Rettroband out and there didn't appear to be any damage. I wouldn't have driven the 200 miles to NIRVC on it if there had been. In any case the tires have been replaced.

Good idea to check the shock mounts, thanks!
Old 03-29-2023, 02:20 AM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
And Rob, I'd love to know what the "snot" really is. If you can find out from your guy, please write about it here on the forum and it will go intop"The Files"..

Gary
Gary, I will ask. Here is something google came up with: https://www.a1tireinc.com/product-pa...gh-performance

Some interesting info here:
https://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=358369
According to the above it sounds like regular dish soap is not a good choice.
Old 03-29-2023, 06:39 AM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Just stating the obvious:

$5,000.00 for a "safety device" that has had many challenges and now adds another level of complexity to our travels. Another failure point in the chain.

Not sure about this.
Old 03-29-2023, 07:10 AM   #28

Failure analysis needed!!!

The broken gearbox showed what appeared to be a broken or detached bolt. I woudl be most interested in knowing what failure analysis of the metal parts revealed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdoc View Post
There was nothing wrong with the Rettroband material itself. One of the two threaded rods that holds the two halves of the Rettroband together, sheared at the gearbox. As explained to me, a rare occurrence caused most likely by an uncommon installation error.

While we wouldn't want to go thru this again, the experience has ultimately resulted in a number of positive outcomes, not the least of which is how solidly NIRVC stands behind their products and goes way above and beyond in support of their customers.

As a side note, Cruzers test of the tire returning itself to the same position, didn't really behave that way in this case. In fact, oddly, there was noticably more resistance than normal getting the tire to spin. That's probably because the Rettroband wasn't broken with loose pieces inside the tire. One gearbox was still intact, so the Rettroband was still wrapped around the inside of the rim, just loosely, and closer to the center of rotation. However, as I forced the tire to rotate, at some point there was a definite clunk and I could feel the weight shifting inside, perhaps the Rettroband slipping around the rim trying to find its own center of gravity. Once the loose Rettroband was removed and the tire remounted, it spun freely as one would expect.

One other note, the gearbox that wasn't sheared, was apparently internally damaged as we couldn't get it to loosen.

My dashcam captured the event. After that, driving more than about 25 mph was extremely uncomfortable.

We are at NIRVC Nashville now awaiting repairs tomorrow.
mgoldstone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension