Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2021, 09:31 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Fuel filler design issue?

I just filled our Ď21 Aspire 44W for the first time yesterday. When I tried filling using the driver side filler tube at a Flying J it wouldnít take fuel without triggering the pump shutoff almost instantly.
I would start to fill and the nozzle would kick off no matter how slowly I tried and then there would be a backsplash of fuel out of the filler opening. I scratched my head for a minute wondering how I was going to get this thing filled up and then it occurred to me that there might be a venting problem. So I went around to the passenger side and removed that filler cap, went back to the driver side filler and filled up at full flow (try saying that 3 times fast) with no further problem.
So, is this a design problem that anyone else has seen that Iíll just live with or do I need to have it investigated further?
Thoughts?
Archer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2021, 10:05 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer2 View Post
I just filled our Ď21 Aspire 44W for the first time yesterday. When I tried filling using the driver side filler tube at a Flying J it wouldnít take fuel without triggering the pump shutoff almost instantly.
I would start to fill and the nozzle would kick off no matter how slowly I tried and then there would be a backsplash of fuel out of the filler opening. I scratched my head for a minute wondering how I was going to get this thing filled up and then it occurred to me that there might be a venting problem. So I went around to the passenger side and removed that filler cap, went back to the driver side filler and filled up at full flow (try saying that 3 times fast) with no further problem.
So, is this a design problem that anyone else has seen that Iíll just live with or do I need to have it investigated further?
Thoughts?
The tank needs to be dropped and find out where the restriction/crimp is in your vent line.
J Gunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:15 AM   #3

There is clearly a design flaw in the new, higher position of the fill. Noel (rollin101) has the same issue. If you remove the passenger side fuel cap you can fill full speed.

Mine does the same thing, FYI. I just fill on the slowest setting. My position on these nuisance issues is to work around whenever possible as opposed to spending 2 days at a shop that may or more likely may not resolve the issue
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 12:38 PM   #4

Just putting the diesel nozzle into the fuel fill opening and pulling on the lock has NEVER worked worth a damn for me on my Anthem or this Cornerstone. It virtually never will take fuel quickly without stopping. However, for whatever reason, if I hold the nozzle and trigger horizontal as it fills, it will take fuel at full volume. Now, I think there is a problem but I don't think that it is what most of you are thinking. I think that if you just push in the nozzle than I think that the hose inside must make a pretty much 90% turn down and if you put the flow on full speed lock, it quickly produces back pressure to the fuel flow, which the nozzle is designed to sense and stop. Before you get into a very complicated work around, try just holding the nozzle sideways (so instead of up and down in orientation, left and right in orientation). Its a pain in the butt because I have to hold it in that position, but it takes diesel full blast in that position on both of my coaches. Now, it also lets me stand to the rear side of the opening as it also can lead to a big gush of diesel if I don't slow down the flow before we get to a full tank and I hate driving in diesel soaked clothes and the truck stops don't like me taking a shower at the fuel dock before I head on down the road..... --

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 01:03 PM   #5

I have ruined some good clothes fueling. I go very slow, stand back and use the slave side as well.
Old 05-06-2021, 01:05 PM   #6

You need/someone needs to go under and verify that both fill and vent line ONLY go downhill from side of coach to tank.

Any drip loop from too long a line can cause this and is easy to cure-- just shorten the offending hose.

Sure, if that isn't the issue, THEN have warranty look at it.

But, as least for me, I don't want to drive to a dealership and have the coach sit to cut 6 1/2" out of a vent hose!
Old 05-06-2021, 01:50 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My Ď21 is much better than my Ď18 but there are still some nozzles that require careful placement to prevent premature shutoff. I have a similar problem with my Grand Cherokee which seems to be worse at Sams.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 02:27 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Our's we can fuel as fast as we want until the last few gallons. If I run it until it stops there is a quart or so on the ground and down the side.

I'm going to try the vent tube.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 02:40 PM   #9

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer2 View Post

Thoughts?

Just like you, if I didnt open both fuel caps it would take forever to fuel.
AggrevatedRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 02:48 PM   #10

I'm so glad I have a Super C and the filler neck is only about 4 inches long.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 03:47 PM   #11

I crawled under mine thinking I would find a kink or flaw that I would repair. The problem is the rubber filler hose has little to no slope. I studied it for some time thinking I could fabricate something to help. Short of lowering the tank or raising the fill inlet I donít see a fix.

I have it figured out so I can fill at full blast but it would be nice to just stick the nozzle in and forget about it. In the scope of the big picture itís a small problem.
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 04:36 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
On my 17 the fuel fill is lower. It will fill full blast from either side until the tank gets about 90 percent full. This it stops the pump. It does not spill out but it does cut off early.

I then have to carefully and slowly fill the tank the final 10 or more gallons. That takes almost as long as the first previous 60 or 70 gallons.

One of the ways I can tell the newer Entegra’s is the fuel fill is higher up. But with the new paint jobs you will not have to look close to know a coach is a 22.

Hal and Pam
2017 Entegra Cornerstone - B
2020 Ford Edge ST
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:56 PM   #13

My problem was the fuel shower if I tried to fill on full speed. Don at Entegra told me that I needed to raise up the filler hose with a zip tie. I've not done that but instead fill on the slowest speed which never gives me the splash back and gives me time to pull the moisture ejectors and wash the windshield. So not sure if the zip tie trick will work but it is what I was told would help.
GeezerViz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:10 PM   #14

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerViz View Post
My problem was the fuel shower if I tried to fill on full speed. Don at Entegra told me that I needed to raise up the filler hose with a zip tie. I've not done that but instead fill on the slowest speed which never gives me the splash back and gives me time to pull the moisture ejectors and wash the windshield. So not sure if the zip tie trick will work but it is what I was told would help.
On the 21 if you zip tied up the filler I would be trying to pump up hill. My shoes would be ruined
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel