Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2022, 01:14 PM   #1

fuel rail recall

Twice I have made appointments with my dealer to have the fuel rail recall completed and twice they were unable to complete service and get cummins out. We are now in Salt Lake area and are planning to go to cummins to have it done but this of course is less convenient than if we had had it done at dealer while we were there. My question is we already are scheduled at spartan in October is this urgent or can it wait till October? thanks
lands is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2022, 01:59 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lands View Post
Twice I have made appointments with my dealer to have the fuel rail recall completed and twice they were unable to complete service and get cummins out. We are now in Salt Lake area and are planning to go to cummins to have it done but this of course is less convenient than if we had had it done at dealer while we were there. My question is we already are scheduled at spartan in October is this urgent or can it wait till October? thanks
A Cummins recall cannot be preformed by a dealer or Entegra. I have a list of Spartan recalls that Entegra will not touch at the factory. I have to make an appointment with a Spartan facility. There is only so much a dealer can do. Cummins is not one of them, and Spartan is limited if they do not have the Spartan software that one of my recalls requires.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 02:44 PM   #3

We talked with spartan and they said just take to cummins here in salt lake but to make sure they have fuel rails in case you need the repair. The dealer twice was suppose to schedule cummins to come out for the recall but both times for some reason were unable to get cummins to complete.
lands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 02:48 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
We talked with spartan and they said just take to cummins here in salt lake but to make sure they have fuel rails in case you need the repair.
Cummins is the only shop that can do Cummins recalls or computer updates. There is no plan B for Cummins authorized shops. Their computer software is 100% proprietary and no other shops have access to it. Anytime there is a Cummins warranty issue with your coach, save a lot of aggravation and call Cummins direct. Going through your dealer, you are at the mercy if Cummins will make house calls.
Old 06-13-2022, 06:28 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
When I contacted Cummins to have mine done, I inquired about them coming to my RV lot in SWFL. They did the repair in my driveway. I would ask if they can come to you for the recall work. Given limited shop space, it enables them to get more of these done.
Old 06-14-2022, 06:22 AM   #6

Quote:
. My question is we already are scheduled at spartan in October is this urgent or can it wait till October? thanks
To answer the question if it is urgent? Yes, There have been leaks (the reason for the recall) and if diesel is leaking and then starts on fire you might not have to worry about the October appointment.
Old 06-14-2022, 06:42 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy013 View Post
When I contacted Cummins to have mine done, I inquired about them coming to my RV lot in SWFL. They did the repair in my driveway. I would ask if they can come to you for the recall work. Given limited shop space, it enables them to get more of these done.
Good point. The Ft Myers Cummins location has as many service trucks as they do bays. Their shop is hard to get to and not much room. There are numerous RV parks in the area and a large Love's truck stop where they make a lot of "house calls".
Old 06-14-2022, 07:31 AM   #8

Tell me again what coach vintages and model Cummins does this fuel rail recall involve?

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 08:07 AM   #9

Spartan Chassis
I got a recall notice from Spartan. I haven't heard of anyone owning a Freightliner chassis getting a recall notice so it appears that it is only on Spartan chassis. I was advised to check for a leak and see if I smelled diesel. If I don't see or smell anything, it was ok to wait for my Spartan appointment a couple months away. But they also said to keep checking it every week or so just to be safe. The shop manager said that less than 10% of the ones they had checked were leaking.
Rev. Roy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 08:32 AM   #10

Only you know how much risk you’re willing to accept on the recall. I delayed mine twice because they had no replacement parts if they found a fault. But I already had over 50000 miles and no sign of leaks so accepted the risk until replacement parts were more available. Fortunately mine did not need replacing, and most don’t. But if it did, once they take it apart and find a fault, you’re committed to a potentially long return time for your unit. I would definitely look for potential leaks before you have the recall done.
Warhorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 09:29 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Grand Design Owners Club
As Brobox stated only a Cummins dealer can perform the needed recall. We have tried three times to schedule an appointment. Each time it was recommended we wait until parts are available if repairs are needed or be prepared to leave our coach for an extended period of time. Since a side draft radiator makes the engine visible and accessible we have decided to wait. It is a simple process to check for leaks.
ronstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 01:13 PM   #12

The recall doesn't have to be done at a Cummins shop. Mine was done at a Freightliner dealer, but I'm not sure who signs the techs paycheck. I was in for another FL recall and they just took care of it at the same time. They never asked me, they just did it.
Old 06-14-2022, 03:29 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Tell me again what coach vintages and model Cummins does this fuel rail recall involve?

Gary
Cummins Safety Recall Report 21E-032

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...1E032-3304.PDF

Equipment Information :
Brand / Trade 1 : Cummins Inc.
Model : L9
Part No. : D0K3003BX03
Size : N/A
Function : Diesel engine
Descriptive Information : These engines are equipped with High Pressure Common Rail fuel systems which includes a high pressure fuel rail. The production begin and end dates were determined from the manufacturing and quality records that established the population of high pressure rails and engines that may contain the defect. The recall consists of engines installed in bus, school bus, emergency vehicle and recreational vehicles due to relatively low detectability of the potential hazard and relatively high vulnerability to potential injury in those applications.
Production Dates : JAN 02, 2017 - OCT 16, 2020

Take care,
Stu
Old 06-14-2022, 08:10 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Cummins Ft. Myers sent a mobile unit to our house to perform the recall. We tried and tried to call them to schedule an appointment and no one ever answered the phone or returned calls from their VM. We got a call from Cummins corporate (different matter) and asked them who to contact…they gave us the same phone number. Finally a real person answered the phone. Need the recall? No problem, mobile unit out later the same week. [emoji849]
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, recall