Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2016, 04:01 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
At the Spartan course this summer Big Mike said running these modern electronically controlled diesels out of fuel is bad. He said it generally takes a tow to Cummins to get the injectors bled. On older diesels he said a mechanic could bleed the air out of each one by loosening the fuel line fitting at the injector(s) but these new ISLs have some crazy pressure like 10,000 psi at the fittings and you just can't do it.

My thinking is light comes on, I'll go maybe 50 miles and then pay anything for 20-30 gals of fuel. Makes me think that managing gas stops driving to Alaska is something you need to plan a bit.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2016, 04:26 PM   #16

Agree totally, costs no more to run on the top have AND fuel is cheapest thing we do with these beasts. JMHO

2016 44 B Topaz Cornerstone
2014 MKT towed
Old 01-17-2016, 07:18 PM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I totally agree. I usually fill somewhere between 1/2 and 1/4, but never below 1/4. Usually it is between 700 and 800 miles. Why would you want to go below that and have to worry about the consequences?
Marc, I agree...I generally start looking for fuel when the gauge shows half full. What the heck your going to be buying fuel eventually so this way it gives you ample time to start looking for the best prices in that area, especially when your driving in areas your not familiar with. I guess I'm a little paranoid from my diesel buying days years ago when finding diesel fuel wasn't always as easy as today. I know we now have "Gas Buddy" to help us find locations but unless there are truck stops nearby you don't always know if some of the locations given are accessible. If you have ever experienced running out of diesel fuel its not something you want to do!! JMO...Al
AlKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:48 AM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This may be a dumb question, but I am new and just went on my first trip in our Anthem. When I stopped at the Truck Stop to fill up the tank, I could only purchase $125 of fuel, then the pump shut off. I had to use 2 separate credit cards to get the full 100 gallons of fuel back in the tank. Both times the pump shut off at $125. I was just wondering if there are some other tricks of the trade to this issue or is this just reserved to the specific truck stop. i would hate to have to keep 3 separate credit cards on hand to fill up my MH.
Thanks in advance and I appreciate any advice.
Entegra_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 12:12 PM   #19

If you go inside and leave your card they will usually turn the pump on and you can fill and go back in. Some places want you to tell them how many dollars to charge, they will run the card with that much authorized and if you don't pump that much will automatically refund the balance. Outside limits are all over the board, may be $75,$100,150, very few left without a limit. This system makes it important to get and keep receipts to compare to card bills . All JMHO

2016 44 B Topaz Cornerstone
2014 MKT towed
Old 07-04-2016, 12:28 PM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
First experience yesterday. The low fuel light came on just as I was pulling into a Pilot Station.....perfect timing for the test. I took 110 gallon leaving 40, which maybe half are usable. I now know where my low fuel light is and I didn't have to sweat it looking for a station. At 7 MPG that would be 140 miles on my gauge, but I would still be nervous. I know I do have some comfort range after only taking 110 gallons.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 12:49 PM   #21

A couple of issues to comment on.

1.) The charge limit is common. Often $100. You can use the same card and repeat at least a couple of times before being forced to change cards (I find it is often only 2 times in a row). I use the PenFed card since I get 5% of the total cost refunded at the end of the month so use it anytime I can. It has to be used at the pump. If you use it inside, no discount. Now, If I have to go inside, (fairly common at truck pumps because there is no card reader outside), I just tell them the maximum I can handle, so I usually tell them 125 gallons regardless of what I need. My credit is good, so it pre-charges the full amount, but then final-charges only what you pump. It simply drops the charge for anything above what you took on. It is easier to tell them the max than to try to guess what you actually need and then have to go back in to add another 25 gallons.

2.) I try to fuel at no less than 1/4 tank, usually getting nervous at 1/3 tank. I use GasBuddy app on my iPhone to help me find a reasonable place to stop and not get completely ripped off on diesel prices. Only happened one time, but was in Williams, AZ to visit Grand Canyon about a week. Was cold and was using diesel AquaHot to keep coach warm. Was low on diesel but thought I could get to Flagstaff to fuel as it was much cheaper there than Williams (GasBuddy is your friend!). However, when fired up Cummins to leave, all the warning lights were on (the AquaHot had been burning diesel) and thought I better not try for Flagstaff so fueled at the car pumps for diesel rather than the truck pumps for diesel (almost always 6 or 9 cents higher than the car pumps) and all I could squeeze in was about 120 gallons with all the lights on and the gauge near "empty".

3.) I have had troubles with my PenFed card being accepted by some truck stops. I have worried that they knew somehow I was getting a great discount on price and made it difficult for me to use the card (paranoia??). I have called PenFed from the station and they say that the failure to clear was at the truck stop end and not on their end. This has also happened at Sams or WalMart if I fuel there.

4.) I carry a Business Amex I have had for 40 years, a Citi Mastercard, and my PenFed card. I default to the PenFed as it is an excellent discount, but have the AMEX (no limit) and Citi for fall backs.

Back when diesel was in excess of $4.00 a gallon, this was an everyday occurrence/ritual/mess when traveling.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 03:27 PM   #22

Another suggestion, as this has happened to us more than once. If you travel for prolonged periods of time to distant places you may want to call your credit card companies to let them know you will be traveling. It might prevent the embarrassing "credit card charge has been refused" situations.

Mallory
Mwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 03:34 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Our ISL 9 makes 8.5 mpg. I figure on a recoverable of 120 gal. Set the odometer when I fill and start looking about 1/2 tank for service stations within a couple hundred miles. The GPS will list all the service stations it knows about on the route it is taking me on.
Old 07-04-2016, 05:45 PM   #24

Gordon

But the GPS does not tell you current pricing..... GasBudddy does.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:01 PM   #25
rbr

Entegra Owners Club
At Spartan Academy got the following info from Big Mike re: my '15 Anthem fuel tank (150-gal):

The sender for the gauge is calibrated based on the full tank capacity even though about 15% (~23-gal) is unusable - meaning usable capacity is ~125-gallons and when my gauge gets near 15% I'm about to be in big trouble.

I wouldn't know based on personal experience, as the most I've ever put in was 113-gallons. That was before my "schooling" and I won't go nearly that low again. I typically add 80-90 gallons on a fill up now.
rbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:08 PM   #26

I start looking for fuel at a half tank. I try not to go past a 1/4 tank at the absolute latest.

At the truck stop, prepay you feel to the amount you need. Go back to get your receipt.
Finally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:11 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally View Post
I start looking for fuel at a half tank. I try not to go past a 1/4 tank at the absolute latest.

Same here.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 08:59 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Gordon

But the GPS does not tell you current pricing..... GasBudddy does.

Gary
Gary - you are so right about the pricing.

Once we get a list of stations on our route Janet uses Gas Buddy to check out the pricing. Because we have significant range left in the tank we have the option to stop early or go a bit farther to get a better price.

Tags
tank, fuel