Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2014, 10:20 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
I have another heat question. How do you get the middle air conditioner, zone 2, to heat? Zone 1 or front will run the AC in heat mode if on electric. Zone 3 or rear will do the same, but not zone 2 middle. Or do I have this wrong? Thanks.

Dave
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2014, 10:24 PM   #16

Part of the floor heat issue is location of the thermistor which controls both the A/C and heat for zone 2, some units had them mounted up high and the new ones I have seen now have them mounted about 2in above the floor in the hallway. So find your thermistor and if it is low run the floor zone till the floor is up to temp then add the other zones if yours has the thermistor mounted up at normal level then remember to reduce the temp because it will take a very hot floor to raise the air temp above it. The reverse is in effect for zone 2 cooling.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 12:43 AM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultratravler View Post
I have another heat question. How do you get the middle air conditioner, zone 2, to heat? Zone 1 or front will run the AC in heat mode if on electric. Zone 3 or rear will do the same, but not zone 2 middle. Or do I have this wrong? Thanks.

Dave
If your thermostat is set on electric heat, the 3 zones control the three rooftop heat pumps. Only when your thermostat is set on gas heat will zone 2 control the floor and zones one and three control the front and rear heat registers.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 04:53 AM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
FWIW, the same flow pattern that runs to the heat registers in zones 1 and 3 also return via the pex under the floor to the AH, so you'll get some floor heating of the floor tile if you're running 1 and 3 (noticed this over the the last few days in Middlebury when it got cold and just hadn't thought about it).

I would imagine the CS folks say to set at 78-80 to keep the fluid flowing until the floors are toasty. If 1 and 3 are running enough, or after you get the floor warm (which I stat noticing the difference after about 4 hours), that should be sufficient for zone 2 at the high temp. That way, you avoid running a bunch of diesel, as the zone 2 temp sensor (measuring air) will have a tough time ever getting to 80, unless zone 1 and 3 is set to 80. JMHO
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:23 PM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
MRUSA, I must have something going on with my system. When I set all 3 zones to heat, set on electric, zone 1&3 AC units will run and also the registers, but not zone 2 AC. Does that make sense to anyone? Thanks.

Dave
Old 11-02-2014, 09:51 PM   #20

Yes, that does make sense. Zone 2 is the in-floor heat anytime you are on heat(electric or gas). The zone 1 &3 electric heat activates the heat pumps down to the 30's. I am not sure how to access the middle AC heat pump but someone will likely jump in here and explain it.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:56 AM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
The 2015s have a new controller that I haven't quite figured, but I did notice up in Michigan several weeks ago that when I was using zone 1 &3 heat pump and the temp dropped below 40, that a burner flame showed up on the readout in the bathroom. At the same time, I only had the AH electric button engaged. In this heat pump configuration with the flame showing on the readout, I noticed the heat registers for what I would have thought was AH floor heating coming on briefly and going off quickly (brief shots of warm air at the floor). They were doing this very often.

Translation...without digging into the manuals is the system is working a little different than earlier Coleman models. When the heat pumps couldn't push warm air sufficiently, it appears to me that the system will task the AH heating system. With only the electric burner on, wasn't very efficient, but was trying. Next time I'm in cold weather, I'll see what happens with the heat pump mode engaged and the diesel burner as well as the electric burner...then see what happens when the temp drops below 40.

If this is the case, it would be a nice feature and upgrade to not have to figure out what the overnight temp will be to set up the overall heating system. Will report back.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:13 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Most thermostats that are set to heat pumps will turn on the heat pumps but if the temperature differential between what the thermostat is set for and what the actual temperature is exceeds 5 degrees it will engage the gas furnace (or AquaHot in this case) to assist. Once the temperature reaches the set point everything shuts off and only the heat pumps will kick in the next time the thermostat calls for heat. Of course, if the heat pumps can't cut it and the temperature differential drops below that 5 degree differential the furnace or AquaHot will then kick in to assist.

Chances are the flame on your thermostat is indicating that it is in "furnace assist" mode. One way to prevent this (assuming that it is warm enough for the heat pumps to raise the temperature in the coach) is to just set the thermostat for 4 degrees above the current temperature, then raise it gradually as the temperature rises to keep ahead of it but below that 5 degree limit. That works, although I'm not sure why you would want to do that. I just switch over to the AquaHot.

Heat pumps just aren't very efficient below 40 degrees and attempting to run them isn't the best for them. The oil inside the compressor is fairly thick so that it can effectively lubricate the compressor when it's really hot out and you are running the air conditioning. That same oil is too thick when it gets cold out and you can cause scoring and damage in the compressor if you try to run them when it gets below 40 degrees. Some systems have a safety cutout to lock them out below 40 but I've seen those cutouts to vary widely in where they actually trip, assuming they work at all, so I wouldn't rely on them.

As a newbie I burnt out a basement unit on our brand new Suncruiser trying to save propane and run the heat pumps with free electricity when it was around 30-35 degrees at night. Fortunately they covered it under warranty but I soon learned how heat pumps work, their drawbacks and when not to use them.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:24 AM   #23

I think we need a 4 zone thermostat - with Zone 4 being the floor.

The Coleman zone control thermostat on the 2015 is not the most intuitive controller to operate. And the zone controls are not granular enough in my opinion; the entire system, all zones, must be Cool, Heat or Off.

My previous coach had the Dometic CCC which, while not perfect, was less confusing. I could set different zones to Heat or Cool or Off or Fan separately. This was useful with warm nights & chilly mornings. I could have the AC on in the back for going to sleep. But the up front the heat would kick on if it got too cold in the early morning hours. There was also an Auto setting, where the system would decide when to use cooling, heat pumps or floor heat from the furnace.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:04 AM   #24

hawgguy, you are EXACTLY right. On my 2011 Anthem I could do those things but with the 2013 Anthem and the new "improved" ac units we have lost that ability. I have complained to Entegra on numerous occasions and been told the manufacture is "working on it". Well, it does not need to be that difficult and is definitely something that needs to be addressed and fixed.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:59 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann n Gene View Post
hawgguy, you are EXACTLY right. On my 2011 Anthem I could do those things but with the 2013 Anthem and the new "improved" ac units we have lost that ability. I have complained to Entegra on numerous occasions and been told the manufacture is "working on it". Well, it does not need to be that difficult and is definitely something that needs to be addressed and fixed.
Gene, Tiffin mh uses the same system we have and they use three separate thermostats. They are all located in the same area, but different for each zone. I know this has been a bone of contention for you and me, hopefully they will change it soon. Noel
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:55 AM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
Most thermostats that are set to heat pumps will turn on the heat pumps but if the temperature differential between what the thermostat is set for and what the actual temperature is exceeds 5 degrees it will engage the gas furnace (or AquaHot in this case) to assist. Once the temperature reaches the set point everything shuts off and only the heat pumps will kick in the next time the thermostat calls for heat. Of course, if the heat pumps can't cut it and the temperature differential drops below that 5 degree differential the furnace or AquaHot will then kick in to assist.
On my 2013 Entegra the thermostats don't work this way. So far as I can tell, they don't have the ability to automatically change from heat pumps to Aquahot. I wish they did.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:10 AM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultratravler View Post
MRUSA, I must have something going on with my system. When I set all 3 zones to heat, set on electric, zone 1&3 AC units will run and also the registers, but not zone 2 AC. Does that make sense to anyone? Thanks.

Dave
On my 2013 Anthem, Zone 2 operates the center heat pump when set to electric heat. If set to gas heat, Zone 2 runs the floor heat instead.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:51 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
On my 2013 Anthem, Zone 2 operates the center heat pump when set to electric heat. If set to gas heat, Zone 2 runs the floor heat instead.

floor heat and basement? right?

Ron.
BUS4US is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace