Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2022, 03:47 PM   #29

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by garysfb View Post
Stu where do you mount yours and with what mounting device?
Not Stu, but I use this weighted dash mount. This one has the bigger disk in the middle for the larger suction mount of the RV890. Works great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
Cessnapilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2022, 03:51 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
We just bought one of these about a week ago, even though we're not planning on using it really until June, when we go full-time, but I wanted to put it in my truck to get used to it beforehand.

First impressions: NOT impressed. Booted it, installed all the updates available, and...it doesn't know my home address (which has been in existence for at least 3-4 years). The map does show the streets, but no names, and a search comes up empty.

Next, tried to input the address of where our rig is stored. That location has been in existence for at least 16 years (likely, much longer than that), and is not an obscure location. The unit has no idea what I'm asking it for. Strike 2.

I'll give Garmin a call before I send this back, but I cannot believe that in this day and age that a major player in the GPS arena is having map data issues of this scale.

We specifically wanted it for its RV-aware routing (since our experience with RV Trip Wizard was...less than stellar), but now I have trust issues.
meadowsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 04:38 PM   #31

I use my 1090 religously.
Ryancasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 04:43 PM   #32

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmp View Post
Just curious if any of you new 890 owners have tried to change the voice of your device.
I mute the voice guidance, so I have no experience with the voice giving directions while driving.

I did, just now, try to make changes to the voice and then input a destination to start navigating. Each time I changed the voice (French, Brazilian Portuguese) and initiated a destination, a different voice spoke to proceed to the route. I didn't actually navigate along the route to see if the turn directions would be spoken.

I did notice, however, that not all voice selections have the "Speaks Garmin Real Directions" annotation. Zoe, Paulina, Amelie and Fernanda are annotated "Speaks Garmin Real Directions", the other voices (including American English-Michelle) lack that annotation.

As I mentioned, I mute the voice directions, so, inability to get voice directions isn't a deal breaker for me.

Take care,
Stu
Old 01-16-2022, 05:45 PM   #33

Quote:
There have been several threads in the past year, or so, discussing various alternatives to the Rand McNally navigation system.

Rather than start a new discussion regarding the pros and cons of the various options, let me just offer this:

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Naviga...50&sr=8-3&th=1

Save 24% Lowest price in 30 days
List Price: $499.99 Details
Price: $379.99 & FREE Returns
You Save: $120.00 (24%)

Take care,
Stu
Ordered ours Jan 1, 2022, Delivered 1/3/2022 for that exact price. Leaving this Friday for 2 months. So use to my Rand McNally, but definitely like the bigger screen & the nice screen. Will see when we actually use it. Setting up our trip was a little frustrating. Have to figure it out.
Dutchstar53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 06:42 PM   #34

Entegra Owners Club
Just curious why people use these over a phone with Google Maps? I've tried factory nav units in cars that are in the 6 digit range and none of them compare to the accuracy and ease of use that Google provides.
Old 01-16-2022, 07:21 PM   #35

Alpine Owners Club
Maybe I missed out on the sale, but the best new price I can find is $499.99...
Oh well.. Thinking of buying it anyway.

Has anyone bought it with the back-up camera bundle? How did you like it?
New Guy Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 08:18 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglee25 View Post
Just curious why people use these over a phone with Google Maps? I've tried factory nav units in cars that are in the 6 digit range and none of them compare to the accuracy and ease of use that Google provides.
Main reason is, Google Maps does not take our rigs into account and will send you on ANY road that it feels like, even if it's one-lane, gravel, and has low bridges. Garmin RV isn't perfect but it's massively better than Google on this basis.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:19 PM   #37

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Guy Will View Post
Maybe I missed out on the sale, but the best new price I can find is $499.99...
Oh well.. Thinking of buying it anyway.

Has anyone bought it with the back-up camera bundle? How did you like it?
Check your private mail.

$389.99

LAST ONE

Take care,
Stu
Old 01-16-2022, 09:37 PM   #38

Garmin RV 780

Quote:
There have been several threads in the past year, or so, discussing various alternatives to the Rand McNally navigation system.

Rather than start a new discussion regarding the pros and cons of the various options, let me just offer this:

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Naviga...50&sr=8-3&th=1

Save 24% Lowest price in 30 days
List Price: $499.99 Details
Price: $379.99 & FREE Returns
You Save: $120.00 (24%)

Take care,
Stu
I bought a Garmin RV780 last year on Amazon. I recently installed an update and the unit "wacked out" on me. I was returning to a campground near Julian Cal. and after a stop at Santa Ysabel the directions had me turning down a dirt road that didn't exist and then bypassed my turnoff. Trying another update is on my list of things to do. Glad I had already taken that route before or who knows where I would have ended up!
SantinoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 10:41 PM   #39

Alpine Owners Club
Bought the Is 890, and also The BC 35 Camera on eBay

Thanks to Stu, and all the guys who contributed on this thread.. I took the plunge and bought the camera and the GPS Today.

GPS was $379, and camera was another $160, plus tax.
Free shipping, hopefully have it by next weekend.

.Now let's get it installed and have some fun!!
New Guy Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 11:14 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Not sure if you all are aware that the Rand McNally nav system can be updated for free online. You just download their program and remove the SD card from the lower edge of your dash unit
Put it in your computer to transfer the data.
I like the Rand McNally unit for all the warnings, speed, hills, curves, low clearance and weight restrictions.
I also navigate with an iPad using Google maps.
Always nice to have a backup. I mount the iPad to the drivers window with a suction Ram mount. Works really well and it’s in an excellent position to view with very little head and eye movement.
Safety bonus!
I also use the iPad for weather radar when the thunderstorms are bad. It can save you from possibly driving thru a hail storm.
Just much more versatile that another stand alone navigation unit.
There is my 2 cents.
Bob
RVWheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 05:00 AM   #41

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Garmin RV890 Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglee25 View Post

I hate factory nav unit in my Jeep. Updates NOT free, limited database, can’t input while dribbling, and more.
Google maps does not take into account size and weight and height of big motor homes. Also does not have database of campgrounds, truck stops, and other useful information. Plus harder to see
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 05:11 AM   #42

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Stu provided a link to the Garmin Drive app which is great. But as a solo driver I would like to be able to make changes on the 890 while driving. Specifically has anyone found a way to bypass a via point on a programmed route? On my 780 I could just go to the route list and select the via waypoint beyond what I want to bypass and I would get a revised route to that waypoint that does no affect the rest of the route. Anyone figured out how to do that on 890?
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garmin, gps, sale