Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2021, 11:38 AM   #1

Generator 1000 hour service

Hi everyone, have my 2015 Anthem in for its 1000 hour generator service at Cummins. The technician manager tells me the brushes should be replaced but he doesn't have any here at the shop. Has anyone replaced their brushes on their 12500 KW generator. I have had no problems with the generator as I have serviced it according to its hourly schedule.

How many people actually do a 1000 hour service and has anyone changed their brushes. You would think they would have these brushes in stock knowing full well I was a month out when I made the schedule to come here for this service. Might have to do it myself so I'm curious to know if it's possible.
Thanks for any and all feedback.
LVUS101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2021, 11:44 AM   #2

I've never had more than 1,000 hours on an Entegra coach genny, so no clue.

However, knowing me, I would most likely take my chances, and deal with it when the generator no longer is producing 120 VAC....

I would think the brushes would last a lot longer than 1,000. Assume this is in the PM spec. if you go on line and look for the calendar of things to do at 1,000 hours, 2,000 hours etc.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 01:43 PM   #3

Attached are images of the maintenance schedule taken from the most recent version of the Cummins Onan Operator Manual for their 10000 and 12500 RV diesel generators. As you can see in the second image, there is a line item stating "Check Generator Slip Rings and Brushes" every 800 hours.

To me, "check" doesn't mean "replace." If the mechanic checked your brushes and determined they need to be replaced, that's one thing. But if he's recommending replacement simply because you have 1,000 hours on the generator, I'd be inclined to pass.

I say that because the 12500 generator in our 2018 Cornerstone currently has 1120 hours on it and the brushes have never been replaced. Of perhaps greater significance, the 10000 generator in our previous 2010 Tiffin Allegro Bus had over 1800 hours on it when we sold the coach and the brushes had never been replaced.

I don't neglect generator maintenance, but worrying about brushes at 1000 hours seems like overkill to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cummins OnanQD 12500 Maintenance Schedule-1.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	324747   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cummins OnanQD 12500 Maintenance Schedule-2.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	324748  

LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:50 AM   #4

Thank you Gary and LWBAZ. I brought the Coach home as they didn't have 2 Brushes so will take it back down on Thursday and have them replaced. I agree it may not be in need but they sure try to make you feel uneasy over not changing them. Safe travels
God Bless America
Old 04-13-2021, 11:03 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Brushes are usually a nothing part, just a couple bucks each. As long as the generator doesn't have to be disassembled to get access to them, replacing them is no big deal. But if you have to take the genny apart to get at them, it may make sense to replace them as PM when you're in there for some other reason. Saves you an hour-plus of labor in the future, plus the inconvenience of genny problems.

Being optimistic, perhaps that's the shop's reasoning here.
schad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 01:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by schad View Post
Brushes are usually a nothing part, just a couple bucks each. As long as the generator doesn't have to be disassembled to get access to them, replacing them is no big deal. But if you have to take the genny apart to get at them, it may make sense to replace them as PM when you're in there for some other reason. Saves you an hour-plus of labor in the future, plus the inconvenience of genny problems.

Being optimistic, perhaps that's the shop's reasoning here.
Good points.

Looking at the diagram below, which is from the Onan 10K& 12.5K service manual, I see a "Brush Block Access Cover" on the lower left of the image. Assuming that panel is readily accessible with the generator mounted in the slide tray, changing the brushes shouldn't require more than an hour of labor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cummins Onan QD 10000 & 12500 Generator Housing Panels.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	324840  
Old 04-13-2021, 05:05 PM   #7

Your right about the labor time. One hour and the parts are 30 dollars. I have to go back this week and get it done. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-13-2021, 05:59 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
I did my 1,000 hour service at 2500 hours. Brushes were getting low at that point so in my opinion you will be fine.

We just service ours every 250 hours except for the major service
Old 04-13-2021, 06:52 PM   #9

Oman repair Technician told me my brushes had a lot of carbon dust on them and it could cause problems. Told me not to start or shutdown generator under load. Until he said it is never thought about it. The manual did agree with him. Thereafter I shut off major loads before starting or shutting down.

If you werenít following this perhaps your brushes are excessively worn.

Just food for thought ....
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 07:02 PM   #10

I would rather do excessive planned maintenance and avoid a unplanned failure. The rule of thumb is unplanned repairs are 3 to 10 times more expensive than planned maintenance. Iíve had my generator out on a trip, I had to stay a couple of nights at Walmart & gander with no generator. Ensuring my generator is reliable is high on my list. My coach is an 08 so itís 13 years old. Rule of thumb in industrial maintenance is replace rubber parts at 7 years, so Iíll be replacing hoses, belts, etc.

I recently had the thermostat replaced on my tow car. Mechanics said I should wait till it fails (run to fail maintenance strategy), when they pulled it out, it was broken in pieces, was just a breakdown waiting to happen.

If you can afford it, Iíd do the 1000 hour maintenance
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 04:42 AM   #11

Standard manufacturer recommendation is not to have heavy loads on the generator at time of starting or stopping. On many of the newer coaches with VegaTouch, that problem is taken care of because the software never has power allocated to any of my AC units when I first start the Onan up...... there is a warm-up period and then one generator at a time kicks on and starts to cool, and the space between all of them is just right.

Now, if you own a coach older than the VegaTouch system, then there is certainly the possibility that you may have all of them turned on before starting and they can put a heavy load both on the generator and the brushes. If it is actually a one hour job and there is a hatch right where the brushes can be installed and inserted, all that greatly increases the chances that I will get the service done when I get to around 1,000 hours.... its the stuff that costs 2 days and $10,000 dollars that I include in my prayers and wait until it actually happens.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
I've never had more than 1,000 hours on an Entegra coach genny, so no clue.

However, knowing me, I would most likely take my chances, and deal with it when the generator no longer is producing 120 VAC....

I would think the brushes would last a lot longer than 1,000. Assume this is in the PM spec. if you go on line and look for the calendar of things to do at 1,000 hours, 2,000 hours etc.

Gary
We received our 2021 Anthem March 25th, the vegatouch showed 1,019 hours on the generator.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lp5151 View Post
We received our 2021 Anthem March 25th, the vegatouch showed 1,019 hours on the generator.
That's probably incorrect. Check the hour meter on the generator itself - that will show the actual hours. If the Vegatouch display doesn't match what you see on the generator's hour meter, there is a way to adjust the number on the Vegatouch.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:12 AM   #14

I do an annual service on my genny no matter the hours but I donít use it much. Being a full timer I am usually plugged into shore power and rarely boondock. Itís just a oil and filter change. If it were me and everything is working, since they donít have the part, I would just wait until the next service to change the brushes.

Additionally, regarding only starting and stoping the genny without any load. I had my transfer switch go out one time and the tech told me that it always best to turn off any loads before switching from shore power to (or starting and stoping the genny) because it is hard on the transfer switch.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, service