Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2015, 07:41 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Thumbs down Generator doesn't want to start, need ideas

Now I'm having generator woes again. It is not wanting to start most of the time. I have the QD 10,000. You hold down the start button, light blinks normally, you can hear the pre-heat fast ticking noise normally, but it won't even attempt to crank. Getting plenty of juice from the fully charged batteries, full of diesel, everything is normal. After about 5-25 tries, it will eventually crank normally and immediately start and run fine. My best guess is a relay is going bad, but I want to see if yall have any other ideas too? If it is a relay, how do I get to it? Anybody have the service manual handy for the QD 10K? Thanks!
jd
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2015, 08:31 PM   #2

It will never crank til the IAT reaches temp so on a hot day or after it has ran it will start instantly on a cold day you may have to hold the start button for a min or longer til the intake heaters get up to temp. A simple way to speed the process up is hold it in the stop position after a few seconds the light comes on and the pump and intake heaters run. do this for about 45 seconds then hit start. It will however never make a crank attempt until it reaches Intake Air Temp or IAT this keeps you from wearing out your starter or killing your battery trying to start a cold engine.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:34 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I'm familiar with what you're talking about, but this is not it. I've ran this genny in 100 degree weather and 20 degree weather, something is wrong now though. It shouldn't take 25 attempts to even attempt to crank over. Plus it has been warm here lately, not cold. And the problem occurs even if the engine is warm.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:41 PM   #4

Then perhaps your IAT sensor is not reading which would throw a code I think 60seconds is the timeout point so hold it til it times out and see what code it throws.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:49 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
If I hold Start down long enough it will throw the code that says "Unable to detect cranking", meaning it, as do I, can tell its not cranking
Old 09-24-2015, 08:50 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mainiac View Post
Then perhaps your IAT sensor is not reading which would throw a code I think 60seconds is the timeout point so hold it til it times out and see what code it throws.
Would it throw some kind of IAT code if that was bad?
Old 09-24-2015, 08:54 PM   #7

Yes it should have a code I don't have a manual in front of me so I am not sure if you can pull it up with the start stop sw.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:55 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Its definitely not throwing a IAT code though.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:55 PM   #9

Oh and IAT is a general purpose code ONAN may call it something else.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:47 PM   #10

Spartan Chassis
I've had good luck with Onan manuals and tech advice here:

Onan Generators - SmokStak
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:02 AM   #11

Our 13 Anthem gen acted the same way. Stopped by Cummins-Bridgeway and tech knew problem when he came out to get the keys. He replaced the "T2 relay" in a rather perfunctory manner so my guess is he had done it before. Coach was ready before we even ordered breakfast. The C-B in Grand Rapids Michigan has always been excellent to deal with.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:43 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jestal View Post
Our 13 Anthem gen acted the same way. Stopped by Cummins-Bridgeway and tech knew problem when he came out to get the keys. He replaced the "T2 relay" in a rather perfunctory manner so my guess is he had done it before. Coach was ready before we even ordered breakfast. The C-B in Grand Rapids Michigan has always been excellent to deal with.
OK I feel like I'm getting closer here as I highly suspect a relay as well. Unfortunately there is no one in my vicinity that could do the work, as the local Cummins-Onan shop did terrible, terrible work for me last time... I am happy to do it myself, just need to find the service manual.. Will try rag_ftw's link
Old 12-20-2015, 02:59 PM   #13

Did you ever find the problem with your generator. Mine is doing the same thing right now.
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 05:16 PM   #14

I have a manual for the 12.5kw and that is what it is the relay for the starter solenoid. Got mine at local napa. T2 I do believe is correct. On mine there is 3 relays up where the access panel is for the line voltage out put connection.
Rick
arc-a-tech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator