Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2015, 10:24 AM   #1
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Generator mystery

Generator will sometimes start and run fine. Other times it will start and run for just a few seconds before stopping. It's showing code "13". Shop that is working on it is stumped. Any ideas??
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2015, 10:33 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I had that problem once. I was trying to start the generator in a hot rest area parking lot. The heat coming off the asphalt would trip the overheat sensor. Once we started down the highway, it started and ran fine after that.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:20 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
MY 2014 Anthem had a similar problem, it was the fuel pump. I don't remember the code I was getting. It would run with no problem, other times it would run a few seconds and die!!! The Cummings dealer in Albuquerque NM said there was a bad batch of fuel pumps. Hope yours is that easy.
Anthem46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 03:44 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Are you sure that the code is a 13 and not a 31? It's common to reverse them when counting light flashes unless you can read an actual code from the EC30 AGS display.

A 13 is an undervoltage fault, based on low battery voltage.

INVERTER UNDERVOLTAGE FAULT—CODE NO. 13

(Controller not able to regulate to rated voltage)

Corrective Action: Check whether the vehicle engine and genset share the same starting battery. If so, and this fault occurs when cranking the vehicle engine, low battery voltage may be causing this shutdown. Increase battery capacity or install a separate battery and battery charging system for the genset.

A 31 is an overspeed fault on the generator.

OVER SPEED FAULT—CODE NO. 31

(Engine speed greater than 3600 rpm)
Corrective Action: See an authorized Onan dealer.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Troubleshooting Codes.pdf (20.5 KB, 103 views)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 10:46 AM   #5
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
Are you sure that the code is a 13 and not a 31? It's common to reverse them when counting light flashes unless you can read an actual code from the EC30 AGS display.

A 13 is an undervoltage fault, based on low battery voltage.

INVERTER UNDERVOLTAGE FAULT—CODE NO. 13

(Controller not able to regulate to rated voltage)

Corrective Action: Check whether the vehicle engine and genset share the same starting battery. If so, and this fault occurs when cranking the vehicle engine, low battery voltage may be causing this shutdown. Increase battery capacity or install a separate battery and battery charging system for the genset.

A 31 is an overspeed fault on the generator.

OVER SPEED FAULT—CODE NO. 31

(Engine speed greater than 3600 rpm)
Corrective Action: See an authorized Onan dealer.
Read an actual code from the EC30 AGS display.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:48 AM   #6
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I had that problem once. I was trying to start the generator in a hot rest area parking lot. The heat coming off the asphalt would trip the overheat sensor. Once we started down the highway, it started and ran fine after that.
Chilly, warm, hot, dry or raining-makes no difference.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:17 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

You may have low cranking voltage at the generator. That could be from a bad battery cable connection or whatever. A quick test would be to snap a pair of jumper cables on the two terminals on the backside of the generator and connect to a jumper battery. Then start it and see if it dies. If it runs good then you've confirmed that as your problem.

Let me relate what I went through with our 2007 Allegro Bus. This most likely isn't your problem but it may give you an idea.

Our Bus came through with the 10KW Onan up front, which was connected to the house batteries, like most are. It would crank, stumble upon startup and then shut down and throw the code. My EC-30 AGS would never start the genset but if I tried manually it would usually catch on the second try.

The problem was that the house batteries were in the back of the coach and the generator was in the front. There was too much voltage drop when cranking and the generator threw a code to protect itself. I checked all of the connections and everything was clean and tight, which made sense because it did this from new. I found other owners on the TRVN forum were having the same issue and the problem was that Tiffin did not run adequate sized cable from the rear batteries to the generator for that long of a run. Rather than restring all new cable of heavier gauge I opted to install a regular 12 volt starting battery in the front cap area just to start the generator. I added a Trik-L-Start module to allow the house battery charging system to keep this battery charged. Everything worked perfect after that.

Your 2014 CS should have the batteries up front and adequate cable gauge so I don't see that as a problem. However, if there are any loose connections, dirty connections or cable ends about to separate from the cable itself the increased resistance would give you the same effect. If you are holding a good 12 volts at the generator when cranking then that's not the case and it's most likely a bad connection inside the generator, a bad starter that draws too much or a bad board that's prematurely throwing that error code.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 02:19 PM   #8

OK this is not a guess its the problem and a easy fix I had the same thing it stumped cummins it turned out it was the harness plug better fix it b4 it archs to bad so follow it from the genny to where its first white harness plug is and that's the problem clean it up and make sure they are all touching. if I remember its the wires in the black coil type insulation you get at any auto store and stuff the wires in the side slit to keep it from chafing, so CRUZ YOU WERE ON THE RIGHT TRACK ITS BASICALLY SHORTING from lack of contact
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator