Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2014, 06:33 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Generator Oil Change Intervals

Marc MRUSA14 brought up a good point last night when we were discussing oil change intervals on our 12,500 Onan's.

I thought I would share the small footnotes in the owners manual that was pointed out to me at an Onan Factory seminar at a Travel Supreme rally.

The Onan owners manuals give XX hours between oils changes with small footnotes next to the X in the hours column. Our 12,500 happens to be 250 hours. However, next to the X for 250 hours are footnotes 1-4 in very small print. Those footnotes are:
1 As a part of engine break-in, change the engine oil after the first 20-50 hours of operation.
2 Perform more often when operating in dusty environments.
3 Perform more often when operating in hot weather.
4 Perform at least once a year.
5 Perform sooner if engine performance deteriorates.

It was explained to us at the class that the 250 hours between changes is for ideal, nice clean running conditions. Our MH fit more into the 1-4 category. Our Onan's are mounted right next to the around sucking up all of the highway or campground dirt. We are normally running the generator when it's hot for A/C and we are also pulling reflective heat from the highway.

It was recommended by the Onan Tech's that front mounted generators in MH usage should cut the book recommended change interval in half becasue of 1-4 above. I average 100 hours a year, but still change oil at 100 hours if it's before the year is up. Thought I would share as it is easy to miss in the owners manual.

Thanks Marc for sending me back to the owners manual, I would have missed the footnotes on the new generator.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2014, 08:24 AM   #2

I met another entegra 2012 owner in nola, last year who does rodeosHand horse shows, He fired up his genny in a dusty rodeo parking area within a hour or less it shut down and no restart due to dust clogging up things, he said he didnt think they were that sensitive, makes sense though.
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:03 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Good point, Chuck. I read those footnotes last night too, and they did not concern me personally because since I rarely use the generator more than 100 hrs a year, I just do it annually. However, with this all-electric coach my usage could go higher, so if I were to exceed 125 hours in a year, then I would do the service at 125 hours which I think is sufficient.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:20 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Good point, Chuck. I read those footnotes last night too, and they did not concern me personally because since I rarely use the generator more than 100 hrs a year, I just do it annually. However, with this all-electric coach my usage could go higher, so if I were to exceed 125 hours in a year, then I would do the service at 125 hours which I think is sufficient.
Marc, you are correct. Onan recommends for our type of usage to cut the book scheduling in 1/2 which would be 125 hours. I am still use to my old 7500 KW and still thinking 100 hours. The 12500 can go to 125 hours, it may also have a larger crankcase which would extended the time.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator