Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2021, 08:24 PM   #1

Generator start '18 Aspire Onan 10HDKCA

44B with 4 battery option. Have had an intermittent Generator start problem since last fall and now it will not start from either the instrument panel switch, the passenger side overhead energy command 30 nor the switch at the generator.
Respectfully request any help on this problem
Have been in contact with Entegra and Onan troubleshooter.
At the present time the only way to start the generator is by pulling apart the connection between the coach and the generator at the front side of gen or by opening a breaker in basement labeled the generator compartment. As soon as I reconnect, the generator starts. Onan troubleshooter says probably a short.
Yes, very confusing.
The problem started originally last fall when the generator would start on its own. After calls to Entegra the connection between the Coach and the Onan on the front side of the generator was taken apart and sprayed with electrical contact cleaner and reattached. The problem went away until a few weeks ago after leaving the dealership the generator now will not start until I do the dance as stated.
Here is all the troubleshooting completed so far:
Was able to use a paperclip with the help of Onan trouble shooter to start the generator and shut it down at the connection at the front side of generator using the Onan side of the connection so it is not an onan problem that I can see. Yes the breaker is ON.
Have checked the tightness of the ground connection next to the windshield wiper fluid container. Would not budge and the red paint protector is still good.
Have replaced the one 5amp breaker in the bumper compartment below the driver that pertains to the AGS. The one there was cloudy so I replaced. The B22 in the mid-bathroom spider panel is showing green.
The connections to the instrument panel switch and the command 30 have been taken apart and cleaned along with the connection at the generator.
The switch at the coach instrument panel is dead, no light until the generator starts and then the normal light. No blinking after shutdown with that switch.
The command 30 will wake up but the switch is dead. The red light comes on after the generator starts. No blink after shutdown with that switch.
I went through the manual to set up the command 30. During the test the program recognized AC1 and AC3 but not AC2 and it would not start the generator. Showed generator start error.
Have gone over the electrical chart for both the coach and the AGS. I see a couple 5A fuse positions but can only find the one 5 amp fuse in the bumper compartment. I do not see a five amp fuse anywhere near the battery area.
I am ready to start replacing parts if there are no more troubleshooting steps I have not completed.
I first would replace the coach side of the connection at the generator but do not know the proper wording of that part.
I have read that there are 3 "whatchamacalits" in the generator that can get dirty etc. Where would those be on this generator if they exist?
The Onan trouble shooter said that a test of each wire might be required. How would you go about testing each wire for continuity? I have a tester with that setting but not sure the proper procedure. Not ready to turn over to an electrician yet. Would like to complete myself if posible.
sscheuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2021, 06:46 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
A very common problem is this plug on the left side of the generator. They are not sealed from the factory. They get moisture inside causing corrosion and the starting problem. Unplug it and cleaned the contacts, the seal the plug with electrical tape, silicone or what a person prefers. This is a photo before sealing, you can see how exposed the wires are to road spray.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180811_092126.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	242.7 KB
ID:	325530  
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:48 AM   #3

That plug has been cleaned.

The connection you show is the first one I cleaned with electrical contact cleaner spray on both sides. Just haven't taken apart yet.
Old 04-19-2021, 11:51 AM   #4

I should say I took it apart and than cleaned with the spray. Just have not pulled the wires out of the plastic.

Tags
generator, onan