Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2016, 05:26 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Get on the roof

I need to work on my trav'ler, where should I lean my extension ladder (with foam protector) ?
mbaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2016, 05:57 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I lean it close to one of the extended slides thus reducing the chance that it will slide one
way plus you have something to steady yourself if you feel the need. Mike
JMD VENTURES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:05 PM   #3

I don't think the advice to put the ladder on a slide is good advice as then you are putting all your body weight on the slide's outside edge as you get on and off the ladder. I have needed a mobile tech to work on two or three different problems on the roof and the pros always put the ladder behind the bedroom slide and lean it against the Girard awning enclosure on the curb side. When I have accessed the roof, I first tried the ladder against the back cap and that is NOT the way to do it as the cap was not firm and solid below my feet. So, I have leaned it against the Girard enclosure behind the chest of drawers slide on my 44B

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:44 PM   #4

Against the Girard awning behind the bedroom slide works great.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:03 PM   #5

Yup, an extension with pads will work.

When I was doing a lot of work on top, I used my 12' step ladder near the midship area.

Either way, careful does it.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:13 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When working on railway cars we had a gantry that straddled over the car. We had a body harness with a tether to the gantry. About as safe a way as can be done. Wish I had something like that for the motorhome. I stay off the roof...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:18 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Always, always have a spotter

This past summer we had two men fall of the roof of their RVs at Las Vegas Motorcoach Resort. One died because of his injuries. Neither one had a spotter, some one to anchor the ladder, to steady it. My DH goes up often but he always has me hold the ladder for him. I stand under/behind the ladder with my back to the coach. Then I can use my weight and lean back adding stability. DH uses an extension ladder and puts it on the passenger side between the two slides. (45J). Sorry to be such a 'mom' but it is dangerous. You can reduce your risk by having a spotter.
I'll get down off my soapbox now.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:26 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I use a 17' "Little Giant" type ladder from Harbor Freight. I bungie cord it to the front awning rail and door latch. It is about 5' higher than the roof, making it easy to get up on the roof, and getting down. I'm recoating my roof now, and being age 80, I stay on my knees when up there. I would not get on my roof without securing the ladder. Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '03 Honda CRV, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:17 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Gary, I didn't say to put it on the slide but by the slide just as you said. Just saying! Mike
JMD VENTURES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:36 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lault View Post
Against the Girard awning behind the bedroom slide works great.
That's exactly where I put it. Those Girard Vision awnings are rock solid. I do have a 17' Little Giant ladder that folds up and stores vertically between the rearmost cargo tray and the tray where my water softener and pressure washer are located in the small compartment just aft of there. It's one of the better ladders from them and I ordered the optional adjustable feet. That lets me ensure that the ladder is not leaning to one side on uneven ground because I can drop one foot down a bit. I really like this ladder.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:25 AM   #11

I put mine between the two slides on the drivers side. Always worked for me.

Tony
2014 Anthem 44B
2011 Honda CRV
Old 10-13-2016, 06:07 PM   #12

Mike:

I reread your post and I see that I misinterpret your recommendation. Sorry. I think we all are doing the sAmes thing.

And it's always good to have a spotter. I find that would not like a ladder that is shorter than 17' as to me, the most dangerous point in the getting on the roof process is when seconds you are stepping from the ladder to the roof, and then from the roof to the ladder. What really helps me is to have the top of the ladder or top step while I am making that transition. If it was less than 16 or 15' tall, you cannot do that.

My wife braces the bottom ladder legs so they cannot slide or move when my full weight is not yet on the ladder step.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 02:49 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
I use my Little Giant on the DS between the slides. On my coach, they area on the roof in this area is fairly clear of obstructions like vents.
I do not recommend that you try to come up on the PS because there is the risk of damaging the awning. In addition, don't try to come over the rear of the coach. The rear cap is really not stong enough on top to support your weight.

I use the larger foam "noodles" that they sell for pool use. I simple slit the tube and notch it out for the rungs. Cheap and works fine
Crippsfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:06 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crippsfl View Post
I use my Little Giant on the DS between the slides. On my coach, they area on the roof in this area is fairly clear of obstructions like vents.
I do not recommend that you try to come up on the PS because there is the risk of damaging the awning. In addition, don't try to come over the rear of the coach. The rear cap is really not stong enough on top to support your weight.

I use the larger foam "noodles" that they sell for pool use. I simple slit the tube and notch it out for the rungs. Cheap and works fine
Ditto on the not using the rear. In 2016 the awnings were changed to the heavier Girard Vision awnings with the multi-angle. These housings are larger and rock solid so I don't have a problem laying the ladder and pool noodles against the rear awning housing. My biggest problem was finding pool noodles that weren't pink or sky blue.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof