Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2020, 12:10 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Getting on the roof

Finally got a ladder long enough to reach the roof. I understand now why some people use their slides. Yikes.

Anyway... access to the roof means time to do some stuff I'd been unable to do thus far.

First, I want to inspect the roof itself. No cracks, the sealant looks good, no other obvious problems. Is there anything else I should look for? I know at least some people treat the roof with a wax or floor sealant. Is that recommended, something to do for extra peace of mind, completely unnecessary...? Is there a reason to clean the roof other than because it's super filthy up there?

Second, we're going to swap out DirecTV for Dish on our Winegard not-in-motion dish. Looks to me like it's going to be a very simple job. Basically unbolt the old parts and bolt in the new ones. Is that basically all there is to it?

Final task, we have a Weboost antenna that we want to install (carried over from our last RV). I called Entegra CS and they recommended fishing the Weboost's antenna wire through one of the rooftop mushroom vents to an access panel over the entry door. I presume they were talking about the vent that the dish wires go through right now. It looks like I'm going to need to cut off the sealant around the vent, because the cap is sealed to the vent. Once the sealant's off, I should be able to remove the cap. I stuck my fingers in there and it feels like there's some insulation or expanding foam inside the vent, so I'd probably need to cut that out as well. Then use fish tape to push my antenna wire forward to the access panel. Once everything's wired and tested, foam inside the vent, put the cap back on, and seal the vent to the roof and the cap to the vent. Does that sound right? Do I just clean the roof and cap with alcohol before applying sealant? Any recommended brands or types of sealant?
schad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2020, 04:45 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
You didn't say if it was fiberglass or rubber. I have fiberglass. For rubber you need to wash but I think you use something other than wax to seal it.

Twice a year I do roof wash ,polish, wax if circumstances permit.

I wash, polish, and wax the roof to prevent oxidation of the gel coat which will degrade the roof. The oxidized gelcoat also creates chalky stains on the sides of the coach.

I also was,polish and wax the selants to slow the weathering.

Finally I 303 anything plastic like the AC covers, tank vents, TV antenna, fan vent covers and skylights to slow down UV and ozone damage.

Once a year I pull the AC covers and clean out the trash around the condensing coils and compressor. I check the condensation pump sump for trash. I haven't washed the coils but I'll probably wash the evaporator and condensing coils from now on. Not on the roof but at the same time I check the strainer on the end of the condensation drain under the coach.
Old 07-21-2020, 05:07 PM   #3

Just be careful climbing up and down, don't carry anything while doing so (haul it up) and make sure your ladder is secured or you have someone steadying it.

I have a permanently mounted ladder on my 35 footer and slipped and fell a year ago while descending. I was carrying a bucket of soapy water with slippery hands and feet at the time. I slipped and fell the final five feet, tearing my rotator cuff after grabbing the ladder in an effort to save myself. Despite the damage, had I not grabbed the ladder, it could have been a lot worse. Fortunately, surgery was successful but recovery took months and I still need to be careful how I use my right arm and shoulder.

Prior to this, I'd probably climbed up and down fifty or more times without a problem, not to mention all the other ladders I've climbed in my life. It only takes once. My wife still won't let me go up there and my solar panels are still in the garage until I can get some help (difficult during COVID-19).
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 05:16 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Bcam makes good points. Our attached ladder has a great transition region where you can bend over and hold on before starting down. Not to mention it can not move away from you as you add weight.

Be sure your ladder is attached at the top and extends 3 or more feet above the roof to make transitioning safe.
Old 07-23-2020, 07:44 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks for the information, everyone. Fiberglass roof, by the way; I didn't mention it because it's the Entegra forums and, as far as I know, all Entegras have a fiberglass roof.
schad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 05:57 PM   #6

Little giant ladder with roof access attachment

Little Giant- has a ladder that now has handhold attachments that allow safe access to the roof. Check out their Infomercial to see how they work. The ladder is a little pricey, but if it keeps you from falling, it is well worth it. I have an older model Little Giant and it folds up and fits on the slide out. We put pool noodles on the ladder so we can rest it safely on the RV without scratching it. As far as items I check and maintain on the roof: The first thing I did when we purchased the RV was loosen every nut, screw and bolt on the 3 AC units, and blue loctite everyone and tighten them back down. I did this because of previous issues with the Coleman AC units. I check the roof monthly for any cracks in the sealer, and just do an inspection of all components. I wash the roof Quarterly. I keep a set of Capacitors for the AC units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schad View Post
Thanks for the information, everyone. Fiberglass roof, by the way; I didn't mention it because it's the Entegra forums and, as far as I know, all Entegras have a fiberglass roof.
billb3672 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof