Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2019, 12:07 AM   #1

Girard awning

I would like to add more pitch to the awnings on our 2019 Anthem...right now the awning when fully extended is approx 8.5 to 9 feet above the ground...would like to bring that down a foot or so to add more shade. The manual is not real clear on if this can be done.
lp5151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2019, 05:26 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You can raise and lower the pitch by following the instructions on page 15 of the manual (not sure which awning you have). I don't know if you can get a foot of difference though. If you try and drop it that much, be sure to check the arms as the awning closes as they may hit the bottom of the cartridge when retracting. Be aware if it is hot outside and you open and close the awning too many times (3 for me), trying to adjust it, there is a thermistor that will overheat and the awning will quit working. You will have to wait about an hour or till it cools then it should start working again.
rlwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:37 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
OP has a 19Anthem. Had to go to their profile page to find it. Yes, as mentioned awning is adjustable. I think it is meant more for aligning the two awnings than adjusting pitch. Two person job. One to take weight off of opened awning and one to turn 3/4”(I think) bolt.
Old 08-31-2019, 06:44 AM   #4

Just my opinion, but trying to drop your awnings another foot is not going to come out well. These Girards are already drooping to the point that they appear fragile to me, and they flap around in the wind a lot as they are configured right now. Mine are pulling themselves back in in even breezey days as the jiggle sensors are sensing too much motion and are set to retract early so that the awnings don't get overloaded. Frankly, I rarely deploy mine fully (almost never) as I find that they are not designed for anything but windless days.

IMO, those awnings are not intended to shield your whole coach from the sun... You are wanting them to do something they were not designed to do.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 09:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post

Just my opinion, but trying to drop your awnings another foot is not going to come out well. These Girards are already drooping to the point that they appear fragile to me, and they flap around in the wind a lot as they are configured right now. Mine are pulling themselves back in in even breezey days as the jiggle sensors are sensing too much motion and are set to retract early so that the awnings don't get overloaded. Frankly, I rarely deploy mine fully (almost never) as I find that they are not designed for anything but windless days.

IMO, those awnings are not intended to shield your whole coach from the sun... You are wanting them to do something they were not designed to do.

Gary
I don't disagree with you...these awnings are so "delicate" that IMO are fairly useless, cant be used in a light breeze, cant be used even is a light rain, set so high that the only sun they block is the high noon sun.
The main awning doesn't even close completely which Entegra blames on wind damage. Also discovered that the wind sensor quit working again. I have to plead my case this week since we are so aware of the delicate nature of these awnings that the only time we use them is when we are setting out under them. Don't dare leave them out when we leave the coach unattended.
lp5151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:20 AM   #6

I agree with every word you just said....

I deal with the awnings not shading the coach by turning on the three roof air conditioners....

Gary
Old 08-31-2019, 06:11 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Totally agree Gary. As much as I like the look with the top rail, these awnings are just about useless. The sensors don't work most of the time and even if they do, they retract so slow the awning is still going to be damaged. I never leave these out except when I'm outside, watching the weather and even then it is risky. As much as these awnings cost, to me they are worthless.
rlwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:33 PM   #8

Here is how I use my Girard awnings 95% of the time .... like I am using them right now. I have both awnings out about 1 foot beyond the extended slides. This is a nice cool Shipshewana IN end of August night. Cool...... low 60s temp which is bliss for a Pennsylvania guy who has lived in the Deep South for 45 years. It’s 10:30 pm and I’m sipping red wine and chatting with Dee. The Girard awning LED lights are on and illuminating the chairs and our wine glasses as we talk about the six Amish young couples eating at the Miso Japanese restaurant in Goshen, IN. It is nights like this that make up for the occasional headaches these coaches produce. But tonight is priceless!

Gary
Old 08-31-2019, 10:16 PM   #9

Girard awning

[QUOTE=Gary.Jones;4936100]Here is how I use my Girard awnings 95% of the time .... like I am using them right now. I have both awnings out about 1 foot beyond the extended slides. This is a nice cool Shipshewana IN end of August night. Cool...... low 60s temp which is bliss for a Pennsylvania guy who has lived in the Deep South for 45 years. It’s 10:30 pm and I’m sipping red wine and chatting with Dee. The Girard awning LED lights are on and illuminating the chairs and our wine glasses as we talk about the six Amish young couples eating at the Miso Japanese restaurant in Goshen, IN. It is nights like this that make up for the occasional headaches these coaches produce. But tonight
Jolar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 04:29 AM   #10

You don't need two people to adjust them. You just retract the awning within ~ 18" of full closed. Loosen the lock nut and then adjust the pitch with the pitch bolt. That said, I would not lower the pitch any. I think it will impeded closing. My forward awning already binds when it closes, it's on the AIR list for next month.
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 07:11 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Here is how I use my Girard awnings 95% of the time .... like I am using them right now. I have both awnings out about 1 foot beyond the extended slides. This is a nice cool Shipshewana IN end of August night. Cool...... low 60s temp which is bliss for a Pennsylvania guy who has lived in the Deep South for 45 years. It’s 10:30 pm and I’m sipping red wine and chatting with Dee. The Girard awning LED lights are on and illuminating the chairs and our wine glasses as we talk about the six Amish young couples eating at the Miso Japanese restaurant in Goshen, IN. It is nights like this that make up for the occasional headaches these coaches produce. But tonight is priceless!

Gary
Gary you've hit it on the head. The LED lights are great especially as the days get shorter. I'm a big BBQer and I do extend them all the way if we get a light or even heavy rain with not much wind. Apparently my motion sensor is not as sensitive as yours. As others have stated they are pretty worthless as far as shutting out the sun.

If the OP is looking for more shade I've looked at a few different types of add-on shades but haven't found anything to my liking. You either have to disable the motion sensor or unhook it every time you go out, etc., etc.
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
garysfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:08 AM   #12

I agree with how useless they are. Like most of you I never leave them unattended. Just had the rear replaced because it would not line up with the front and they determined it was bent. They changed it and the wind sensor. I deployed it for the first time this weekend and the LED lights are not working on it and it appears bowed in the middle. This coach had certainly tested me.
Old 09-01-2019, 11:34 AM   #13

Kladner

My rear awning was indeed bowed in the center. It was because one side of the awning did not nest correctly. I had it worked on twice by NIRVC the final time adding a "guide" that was not there or omitted by whoever mounted it.... the guide keeps the round pole that holds the center of the awning level before it begins its deep dive toward ground out near the end.... the awning when retracted, the bar would get out of center and then would hit the front awning as it tried to nest. The place that was missing somehow held the round tube more in center as it nested.

And yes, I NEVER leave my awnings unattended if we depart for the day or overnight.... generally only deploying them about half way at the most and then only if we re sitting under them. The really do clean up the "look" of the roof.... I have always disliked seeing all the mechanics and A/C units on the roof of coaches and the improvement to "visuals" is worth having them up there even if they are not highly useful. Some of the much cheaper awning systems you see on 5ers or trailers are much sturdier than these Girards, but the ability to light up the ground beside our coach in the evening is worth having them there.

Gary
Old 09-01-2019, 12:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Kladner

My rear awning was indeed bowed in the center. It was because one side of the awning did not nest correctly. I had it worked on twice by NIRVC the final time adding a "guide" that was not there or omitted by whoever mounted it.... the guide keeps the round pole that holds the center of the awning level before it begins its deep dive toward ground out near the end.... the awning when retracted, the bar would get out of center and then would hit the front awning as it tried to nest. The place that was missing somehow held the round tube more in center as it nested.

And yes, I NEVER leave my awnings unattended if we depart for the day or overnight.... generally only deploying them about half way at the most and then only if we re sitting under them. The really do clean up the "look" of the roof.... I have always disliked seeing all the mechanics and A/C units on the roof of coaches and the improvement to "visuals" is worth having them up there even if they are not highly useful. Some of the much cheaper awning systems you see on 5ers or trailers are much sturdier than these Girards, but the ability to light up the ground beside our coach in the evening is worth having them there.

Gary

Thanks so much Gary, this may be my problem. Mine is also hitting the front awning when both are extended(See pic). NIRVC installed the new one and will take it back there (Atlanta). Also, when fully retracted the the awnings are out of alignment. The rear seems to be tilted upward. Not sure if the pictures help but I will attach below. Thanks again Gary!!!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1475.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	337.7 KB
ID:	258746Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1477.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	258747Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1476.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	382.8 KB
ID:	258745