Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2014, 05:31 PM   #1
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Girard upgrade program

Received notice from Girard today about potential wind sensor problem. It looks like I'll have to look at the awning from the top to see if I have the problem. Since no ladder, this is somewhat problematic. Any ideas?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2014, 05:32 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Get a ladder. You are going to need one going forward anyhow.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:53 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
If you open your awning and see a white plastic square near the end of each awning, then you require the repair. And by the way, since you have a 2013 with Girards, then you require the fix, unless they have already done it in a subsequent (read last 30 days) visit to the factory.

Girard decided to take the formal notification route, after i talked with Joyce and she talked with their CEO; she made the fix formally happen, because about 95% of us need it and it was an engineering flaw of Girard's... at least from my perspective, we had too many different answers coming from Girard. I hear they are going to take a different approach on damaged awnings and the CEO was supposedly going to call me to discuss it. That hasn't happened yet...maybe he won't now; don't know.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:53 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Troublemaker
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:08 PM   #5

They sent me mine already there in a box ready to go in
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:23 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
Troublemaker
Yep...goes back to an unanswered call and email concerning options and issues with the motion detection system on Girard awnings...I've had three help desks over the course of my working years, serving anywhere from about 2000-5000 customers each. With those three help desks, we never failed to at least get back with an end user or customer and listen, if not fix.

In the other thread there was just too much shuffling around, JMHO. Seemed like a common issue for all customers (not just Entegra) with the integrated awnings. Combine that with a warrantee that says they won't be responsible for wind damage to awnings, people having their awning meet the top of their coach, and then the youtube video which suggests engineering problems...that just doesn't seem to work, at least for me.

So I talked with Joyce...she's number 1 in my book for working with the many OEM suppliers to our coaches and making it right. I don't know what was discussed, but Girard is doing the right thing the right way. again, JMHO
Old 02-25-2014, 10:33 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Girard issue

Just bought an 2014 Anthem, what is the issue with the Girard awning?

How long does it take before Entegra accepts the VIN number for their owners club? Called Entegra and was told I needed to wait until the dealer sent them info, it's been over a month:-(

Tom Crowley
crowleytj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:19 PM   #8
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowleytj View Post

How long does it take before Entegra accepts the VIN number for their owners club? Called Entegra and was told I needed to wait until the dealer sent them info, it's been over a month:-(

Tom Crowley
May have a problem with your wind sensor. Get on your dealer's case about the paperwork.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:29 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowleytj View Post

Tom Crowley
Welcome to the iRV2 forum and the Entegra thread...more important, congratulations on your new Anthem and welcome to the Entegra family. If you read back in this thread, and look at your deployed awnings, if you see a white plastic box looking thing, you should be getting a notification from Girard on a campaign to remedy a situation where dew and rainwater collect in the deployed leading edge of the awning where the motion sensor is located. also the wire connections are not completely water proofed. The is a youtube video on how it will be repaired, including a drain hole, something different with the sensor, and waterproofing the connections. If you need the fix, and if you are deployed during the rain, recommend pulling your awning in to empty the leading edge...and of course, get the fix. I haven't seen my notification yet (on the road full time so mail takes a little while to catch up), so i don't know how they are proceeding, but it was my understanding from Joyce in Entegra CS that Girard would provide the kit and 1 hour per awning for the fix to be done by a RV tech. Hope this helps. Meantime, regardless of rain or no, be careful when it i potentially windy and you want to use your awnings. It takes more seconds than the wind will allow for the awnings to come back in...and they become a sail real easy.

This notification is very recent...thanks to Joyce.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Welcome to the iRV2 forum and the Entegra thread...more important, congratulations on your new Anthem and welcome to the Entegra family. If you read back in this thread, and look at your deployed awnings, if you see a white plastic box looking thing, you should be getting a notification from Girard on a campaign to remedy a situation where dew and rainwater collect in the deployed leading edge of the awning where the motion sensor is located. also the wire connections are not completely water proofed. The is a youtube video on how it will be repaired, including a drain hole, something different with the sensor, and waterproofing the connections. If you need the fix, and if you are deployed during the rain, recommend pulling your awning in to empty the leading edge...and of course, get the fix. I haven't seen my notification yet (on the road full time so mail takes a little while to catch up), so i don't know how they are proceeding, but it was my understanding from Joyce in Entegra CS that Girard would provide the kit and 1 hour per awning for the fix to be done by a RV tech. Hope this helps. Meantime, regardless of rain or no, be careful when it i potentially windy and you want to use your awnings. It takes more seconds than the wind will allow for the awnings to come back in...and they become a sail real easy. This notification is very recent...thanks to Joyce.
FYI, A Girard tech stays by us in Naples. He is coming over this week to see if we have the fix from the factory. Another neighbor has a year old Cornerstone and the other day we had high winds and he wasn't home. Numerous times his awnings were blowing 3 feet above the roof and went slamming down. Thought it would fall off but it didn't. Next day I talked with him and he said it went in when he pushed the button. Talked with the Girard rep and he thought it needed the modification the factory had announced. New motion sensor is needed. He is going to stop by and talk with him. He said the sensors can be adjusted so lighter winds will retract the awnings. He said you need to take the covers off both awning sensors and make the adjustments. He will check mine and replace if needed and do the sensor adjustment and drop the awning down for better shade on the tv. Max drop is about a foot, any amount will help. Again, FYI
Swenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:20 PM   #11

There is nothing you can do to prevent wind damage except leave it retracted until they fix the design flaw. The sensors are defective and when they do work the awning has to jiggle up and down rapidly to retract. I have been at Lazy Days for 6 weeks waiting on Girard and LZD to get their act together to repair our awning, this the second time. The tech just finished repairing the awning and upon retracting the awning the end lead arm snapped!
Bojim46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:53 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
I have owned a couple of brands of awnings and I wouldn't trust the wind sensors on any of them. I will continue with the Girards....retract when not in use. That is one item I don't think any awning manufacture has perfected yet. Usually when a gust of wind comes up that would damage the awnings, it too late, the awning cannot retract fast enough. JMO.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:17 PM   #13
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I have owned a couple of brands of awnings and I wouldn't trust the wind sensors on any of them. I will continue with the Girards....retract when not in use. That is one item I don't think any awning manufacture has perfected yet. Usually when a gust of wind comes up that would damage the awnings, it too late, the awning cannot retract fast enough. JMO.
I've lost three over the last few decades; you are exactly right!
Old 02-26-2014, 07:39 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Like many folks, I have lost several awnings over the years. Even had one FULLY deploy at 65 mph. I retract when the wind comes up, or leaving the motor home or if it looks like rain. Maybe someday someone will perfect them. Until then, take care of it!
Bill in FL is offline   Reply With Quote