Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2015, 05:39 PM   #1

Good coach washing product?

I don't see this issue discussed elsewhere so I will bring it up.

We are half way through our first "big" trip (800 miles) and our main travel day was through ice, snow, and sleet. My beautifully polished brand new coach picked up a lot of road grime on that drive. I had a bottle of McGuires car soap which claims as its major advantages to 1.) clean well, and 2.) not remove the wax.

Well, it does clean OK, but it (or the paint) leaves a lot of water marks or bead marks on the paint and windows, if you don't towel dry everything. I am wondering if others have a preferred wash that doesn't remove the wax but dries well, without a lot of water marking that you would like to suggest?

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2015, 05:48 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Here is a thread Gary that might help you out, it is not the soap, soft water, you need DI water if you want spot free.........There are other threads on the DI systems on here some where....... http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/de-i...ms-163646.html

http://www.crspotless.com/
Old 03-08-2015, 05:52 PM   #3

Good coach washing product?

Blue Beacon does a good job. A bit of dew and wind dusts it up soon enough, let alone 3 minutes on the road with a sprinkle or downpour.
For your rig, I would fear the corrosion from road salts. Lots if DAMAGE can happen in a hurry! :(
Underblast: where to get it?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:54 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I made one of these ***CAR/RV WASHING SPOT FREE WATER SOFTENER/DEIONIZER***
out of PVc and a 1/2 spray sprinkler head. I buy the deionize beads at a local water softener store. Works great, easy to carry in the MH and it dries spot free. If I can find the instructions, I'll post it.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:14 PM   #5

Seems like the DI water is very cost and equipment prohibitive. You can remove water spots with distilled water and a towel. The distilled water dissolves the minerals. Rinse the towel often and change the water a couple of times for the entire coach. You have to approach it as "love" situation. You love your coach and you want to make it look as good as you can so you do not feel that a little "elbow grease" is too much to commit to. Be aware that there are RV parks that prohibit washing your coach. They will allow some locals with a tank of water and a power washer to do it at so much per foot. Been there, done that, you take what you can get. But when you can do it yourself, give your coach some love. I do. Hopefully she'll love you back. Also we all go though the same stuff. If your coach isn't spotless all the time, we understand.
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:23 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I made mine for about $5.00 in parts. The beads cost me a buck for a small bag at a local water softener store. Profession window washers use the deionizoing beads in their machines, so they carry it in stock. Connect it to the hose, rinse, then walk away.

Distilled water wipe down does work too, but too much like work
Old 03-08-2015, 06:42 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Chuck, what diameter PVC, how long? How long will the beads hold up? Do you have to replace the beads after every wash?

I've got a bunch of PVC laying around and am interested in making one up.

Talk about some serious water spotting, when we were in parts of Idaho and Oregon last summer, several RV parks had in-ground irrigation systems to water the grass at night. Even though I wiped the water off the coach first thing every AM, I could not get some of the spots off. It was some serious hard water.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:55 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
I found the instruction on how to make a deionizer with photos in my emails. If you would like a copy PM me your email and I will be happy to send it.

The beads last 2 or 3 washes depending on how hard the water is. I bought 20 lbs of beads for $20. and put them in zip lock sandwich bags. Just the right amount to fill the water stick. I carry a couple of bags in the MH the rest I keep at home.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:31 PM   #9
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I made mine for about $5.00 in parts. The beads cost me a buck for a small bag at a local water softener store. Profession window washers use the deionizoing beads in their machines, so they carry it in stock. Connect it to the hose, rinse, then walk away.

Distilled water wipe down does work too, but too much like work
Would you care to pass along the instructions? Thanks in advance!
Old 03-08-2015, 07:45 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
Would you care to pass along the instructions? Thanks in advance!
PM me your email address and I will send photo instructions in the morning.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:10 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Being relatively new to this, I hope one of our resident experts can answer a question for me.

It is obvious that de-ionizing water can get relatively expensive, especially if the water source has a lot of dissolved solids. I currently have an On the Go water softener installed in my coach. Love it - works great. Can I significantly extend the life of the resin in a de-ionizer unit if I run the water through the water softener first, or am I just replacing one set of solids with another?
Crippsfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:30 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
If you are wanting a copy of the photo instruction I will need your regular email address. I cannot send it to a PM email as it is an old photo file email that has to be attached to a civilian email address. For those that PM me without your email address, I can't send the instructions.

Thanks.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:49 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crippsfl View Post
Being relatively new to this, I hope one of our resident experts can answer a question for me.

It is obvious that de-ionizing water can get relatively expensive, especially if the water source has a lot of dissolved solids. I currently have an On the Go water softener installed in my coach. Love it - works great. Can I significantly extend the life of the resin in a de-ionizer unit if I run the water through the water softener first, or am I just replacing one set of solids with another?
Yes, you will extended the life of the de-ionizing beads by going through a water softener first, plus it does a little better job of the final rinse, depending on the areas water.

If you make the de-ionizer yourself, it is easy, then the cost is about the same as purchasing soap to wash the MH.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:56 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Chuck, I see on the Water Stick website both black and gold resin (beads) which are used together in their unit. What should I ask for when I contact some local water conditioning places in my area?

Thanks.