Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2022, 08:41 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 737 Driver View Post
About 250 miles. Interesting, I have actually never heard of that being an issue. I have worked on cars for years and thatís a new one for me. Is that for real a potential issue? I am open for any potential explanation.

Sincerely, Tor
2017 Anthem 44B

Fresh new rubber in large tires will have some "squirm" to it for the first 500 miles or so.

To be expected and not an issue IMHO.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2022, 08:47 AM   #30

Regarding Hercules tires in a MH application, I have been running Hercules/Ironman I-502 tires for 3 years now (approximately 20K miles).

These are load rated J tires, but they provide a smooth and quiet ride.

My tires were manufactured in Thailand.
Old 06-28-2022, 08:50 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Just went through the traumatic event of buying $$$$ new tires for the coach and trailer. Going to be paying for this for a while but as an anecdotal observation the ride and steering were greatly improved.

Replaced Michelin tires with Michelin on the coach and Westlake with Westlake on the trailer.
Old 06-28-2022, 03:51 PM   #32

Michelins for me

I used to sell tires. Micks are the best in my ever so humble opinion. They are the only tire manufacturer that uses the clamshell manufacturing process. When it comes to costs, remember tires use oil in the manufacturing process. Also, if you have Tyron bands (or however you spell it) not every installer has the appropriate equipment.
RoaminFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 05:56 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Bilstein replaced with Koni

A note of caution as I did replace the Bilsteins with Konis on my '08 Newmar and will NOT be doing that again on my new-to-me '18 Newmar. It really depends on where you drive or plan to drive... In Oregon, our roads are in great shape and the Konis did firm up the side to side sway and also firmed up the up and down motion. But that extra firmness beat the **** out of us on several trips thru California... Driving our '18 on the same roads with the original Bilsteins (same basic Spartan Chassis) is night and day with the front end absorbing much more of the shock (bang, bang, bang) from their rough roads...
In my personal experience, if expecting to be mostly on smooth roads - the Koni; but if expecting to do much rough road driving - the Bilstein.
Bob and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 05:59 PM   #34

You know that Westlake Tires that are factory equipped on trailers etc. are nicknamed "china bombs" right? I think Hercules tires are made here in the United States though...check into it and make sure

I have never tried the Toyo tires and when I could not get Michelin 315's I opted instead for the Continental "street service" bus tire which is a little bit louder than the Firestone's that were on it but they are severe duty steer tires which I thought would be best

just my 2 cents.....
homny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 01:15 AM   #35

Well at this point anything is better then oem michelins. Guess last owner thought 34k miles but this is a 2015 coach. They are going
Old 06-29-2022, 07:37 AM   #36

Clams..

If you or the other owner only got 37,000 mikes out of a set of Michelins, then something is very wrong with the coach. Michelins should easily last 7 years by age, not by mileage. Unless you are planning on driving your coach a hundred thousand miles + a year, every year, there is NO WAY that you should be able to wear out a set of Michelins before they "age out".

If you are not getting mileage out of your tires, start looking for the problem, because you have one somewhere, and you will do far worse on the tires you are contemplating than you would on Michelins..

Penny wise.... pound foolish IMO, but its your pennies....

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 08:28 AM   #37

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppedclams View Post
Well at this point anything is better then oem michelins. Guess last owner thought 34k miles but this is a 2015 coach. They are going
If a brand of tire is known for blowouts, it could be worse than dated tires. Thinking a tires is good because it is new, could be a $10,000 in coach damage mistake. Personally, from what others have posted that Westlake tires are trailer tires would give me concern. Little damage if blown on a trailer, but on a coach it can take out, water tanks, plumbing, air lines, floors, etc. I would much rather go with a tire that is known to age out rather than blowout. JMO.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 11:40 PM   #38

Ok, so I took advice and am doing 6 toyo 2 steers and the rears I will do 4 only the best two left over will go on rear tag or rear axle.
Old 06-30-2022, 06:02 AM   #39

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppedclams View Post
Ok, so I took advice and am doing 6 toyo 2 steers and the rears I will do 4 only the best two left over will go on rear tag or rear axle.
Wise move on the Toyo's If you are referring to the aged out Michelins, I would strongly consider not doing that. That is asking for a blowout to happen. Look in the area of where the old tire. would go and look what is there to get damaged should that tire blow. Putting the old tires there will probably increase the blowout chance by about 75%. JMO
The more a coach has sat, the weaker the tires are. They dry out from not moving keeping the tire oils flowing.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 08:11 AM   #40

In another thread on IRV2 was a discussion that the front Toyo tire have spun on the rims where the dot is no longer lined up with the valve stem. They did not have that problem on the rears.
Old 06-30-2022, 05:38 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Hercules are not an "off brand" tire. They have made quality tires in Findlay, Ohio since 1952. They manufacture tires from passenger cars to heavy equipment. Today they are partnered with Cooper Tire. I have Hercules tires on every vehicle that we own, and prior to retirement used them on our forklifts, heavy trucks, and heavy equipment. Not once, have I had an issue.

I believe that Hercules is the best bang for the buck on the market today. I would take them 2 to 1 over Michelin, but then, that's just my 2 cents worth.

As to the price, like others have stated, I would shop around.
Old 06-30-2022, 05:50 PM   #42

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 737 Driver View Post
About 250 miles. Interesting, I have actually never heard of that being an issue. I have worked on cars for years and thatís a new one for me. Is that for real a potential issue? I am open for any potential explanation.

Sincerely, Tor
2017 Anthem 44B
Yep, it's real.

See how they feel after 500mi.

Tags
tire