Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2019, 11:20 PM   #1

GPS

We have a 2015 Aspire & the other day when I moved the coach had a error message on the GPS that said there had been a major error & had to shut down the Navigation. It had appeared before but it would go away when I pushed the X button. Now it wouldn’t work at all. Wasn’t a problem right now because we are home but will start traveling later this year.
Thanks for the help b.
Craneboy302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2019, 05:50 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

I have '12 Anthem and the navigation sometimes hangs on my coach too. Most times, it just reboots itself and comes back. However, there have been several times it has not rebooted. When that happens, I remove the SIM card, wait a couple seconds and then replace it. This forces a hard reboot of the system and it has always popped back to life after that.

Good Luck!
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Dr. Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 05:56 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Turn off 12v power to reboot the GPS. If that does not work turn the GPS off remove the SD, turn the GPS without the card then insert the card after the GOS asks for the card. If the card hasn't been updated lately, do that while the card is out, the GPS maybe looking for an update.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 06:29 AM   #4

Updates generally:

I updated my on board RM GPS system back in January simply by inserting the SD card into the computer and running RM Dock. It made a major map update and some software updates. Since we are getting close to departing for a bigger trip, I did it again a couple days ago. The Dock simply updates some updates on points of interest and minor things but did not update the map which is surprising... its been ~ 8 months and in that time, one would think that there would be a map update. Also, I-49 new section has been open now for close to a year, and the new section is still not showing up on the maps... when I take that section, the bus icon is cruising right through 7 or 8 miles of pasture land and I get the signal that I am going off road. Apparently RM is not doing very frequent map updates for some reason, or my system is not downloading them.

Dock did want me to upload some speed limit errors/ corrections that I had added, but I got nothing new on maps.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:07 PM   #5

GPS

Thanks for the info but not sure how to reboot it. Do I take it apart or what??? Thanks b.
Old 08-01-2019, 05:26 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneboy302 View Post
Thanks for the info but not sure how to reboot it. Do I take it apart or what??? Thanks b.
Reboot is to turn the 12v power switch at the door or drivers console off for a minute, then back on.

When was the last time the SD card was updated?
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:08 AM   #7

Craneboy

"Rebooting, is the word that we use here on the forum to describe any time we shut down the whole 12 volt system (the Vegatouch, the dash, the lights, all the 12 Volt controls) to force everything to reset ("reboot"). I dont know if that is the technical term for it that Entegra or a mechanic would use, but it is a process that we call rebooting. A lot of us leave the 12Volt system on all the time and most owners have found that occassionally, for seemingly no reason at all, some of our ever more computerized and digital coaches simply get screwed up or "confused" by a transient voltage or some other fairly random process, and then dont work correctly, and a shut down of all 12 volt supply, is needed to get everything to start all over again. Its really one of the default first trys at fixing anything on the coach that is 12 volt.... try rebooting the coach and see if that help the problem.... often, it does.

The easiest way to do that is to turn off the salesman's switch (right inside the door with a big red light), let is sit for 30 seconds with the voltage shut down, and then turn it back on and see what happens.

I am also wondering how long it has been since you downloaded new software and maps?

Gary
Old 08-01-2019, 06:20 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
There is a radio fuse in the compartment below the drivers chair which will reboot the system. I had to purchase a new sim card last year. It has more memory capacity and I believe some sort of operating system update. Mine has worked fine sense them. But I must confess I do not use the nav routing.

Herb
royals1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:01 AM   #9

Herb

If you have never done this before, or if you bought a coach where the owner had not done this back about 15 or 16, then I am amazed that your GPS has not have many problems long before this... I bought my 15 Anthem in the Spring of 2015 (near the end of the model year) and I had to upgrade the SD card and get a much larger card than the one that came in the GPS.... the original SD card was not large enough to upgrade the maps and operating system by late 2015. At the time, we had to send them a fairly large chunk of money to get the new card and we got a refund only after our old card was received by RM.

Now, if you have been regularly updating your GPS system, then you/we need to start looking for other explanation. I found that Rand-McNally was very good with customer service and any problem I have ever had, they jumped on right away and got the problem resolved.

Gary
Old 08-01-2019, 10:24 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Gary, I rarely use the GPS function. In my case the radio would turn on and keep rebooting and the only to stop it was to pull the fuse. In talking with River Park they thought the simcard was the issue. I replaced it and it has been working fine this year and yes it was a chunk of money.

Herb
royals1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:24 PM   #11

Gps

Hi Gary & others. No I haven’t done an upgrade on the GPS since we bought it in 6/15. Didn’t know we had to & haven’t really had a problem before. We use it regularly when we are traveling in areas we don’t know. Once thing is we get the GPS on the tv screen above our heads so it is easy for DW to see it & can tell me what I have to do & go. Of course she had telling where to go for years.
As far as the salesman switch it isn’t working now. It stays on all the time. I have changed the relay but it didn’t cure the problem. I have to crawl into the basement & take the wire off the relay.
Old 08-02-2019, 06:21 AM   #12

Then I am surprised that you have had reasonable function out of the RM GPS all this time. Maybe you have never upgraded the software and are still running the version that was installed in the unit initially. I upgrade both the GPS software and the maps a few days before we leave on any trip which usually is 2 or 3 times a year. Its an easy process.... you just need to download the DOCK software from Rand McNally's web page, have a SD card slot in your computer or a USB to memory card adapter, and an SD card big enough to hold the software. On the first upgrade, what I had to do, and I would guess you still need to do, is talk to RM and tell them your problems and you have never updated software and I think they want $250 and they will send you a new SD card, and when they get your current SD card, they refund the $250 (or whatever the cost is) and you will have a much larger memory card to handle the new, larger, maps and software. You just insert the new card in the "brain" of the GPS (tell us what year and model coach you have and we will tell you where it is) and then boot it up and you should be good to everything of 2019 vintage or later.

Gary
Old 08-03-2019, 05:24 PM   #13

Gps

Hi Gary, the information helped but I have tried anything yet. Have plenty of time because we are leaving after Thanksgiving.
Our coach is a 2015 Aspire which we bought new.
My email address is craneboy302@hotmail.com
Thanks b.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:46 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Just go a 2018 Aspire and find the GPS doesn't seem to know the best roads for the that size of coach......any suggestions
2018Aspire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps