Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2019, 07:35 AM   #99

I too, love my Co-Pilot and have it mounted with a cup holder mounted arm which places it conveniently near my knee. That said, it can do some screwy things (like take me around a 2 block detour and return me to the same highway). My human co-pilot usually keeps tabs on her iPhone but, as we are all aware, one can get out of cell range and that option goes south.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2019, 07:38 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grn_Mtn_Boy View Post
Reading this thread, I can't help but wonder just how far off we are from self driving cars. That is an endeavor that is much more difficult than plotting a route from A to B that is safe and efficient. I can see a huge traffic jam on some of those cow paths my GPS has led me down. Without a steering wheel, how are we going to exercise parental supervision? Ctrl-alt-delete!
Problem with self driving cars and computer dependent cars is companies fire older engineers kids have no memories of “blue screen of death”

GPS only an algorithm it ain’t human
PS95Bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:43 AM   #101

GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Blue View Post
From the day we got our coach I’ve used Copilot RV running on an iPad Pro. It’s mirrored to the front TV (with voice instructions) through an Apple TV that sits in the compartment above the driver’s seat.

The IPad is held in an articulated arm attached (and easily removable) to the grab poll next to the passenger seat. The arm holds the iPad at the proper height and distance in front of the passenger seat so my wife (the navigator) can zoom, change the route and perform any other function available on an iPad. Any changes show on the TV. IMO, it is significantly safer to glance up at the TV than it is to glance down at the small screen where the built-in nav is displayed.

Copilot maps are stored on the iPad and are updated about twice a year, online and through the app; no SD cards. I do map updates at home on a very high speed connection. I can plan, change, load and save trips days or weeks in advance, even while sitting at home while the coach is in storage. Of course, while parked or at home the iPad has almost unlimited functionality so it’s not dedicated to navigation.

With the Mobley device that so many others have we have an always on connection to the outside world so while traveling the navigator can also do anything necessary assist in route guidance, including looking at the route in Google maps sat-View or looking ahead to rest stops or truck stops. Copilot continues to run in the background.

I won’t claim Copilot won’t lead you astray from time to time, but I think it’s as dependable as any other commercial nav system. Usability-wise, it tops any built-in system.

Attachment 244839

Attachment 244840
We use our GPS, pulling a 40 ft 5th wheel witha GMC 3500 but we also carry a "old fashion" map because we have also had problems with GPS. I'm from the old school and still believe in maps.
oketex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:50 AM   #102

Entegra Owners Club
Bill, Congratulation you passed the new Class A license requirement.....trip and navigation planning. There are so many tools today that anybody that gets on a cow path needs a class of what you already know, or pass the keys on to the kids. Some of the GPS post that I read this morning left me shaking my head.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:03 AM   #103

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Last year while going through Beaumont on the way to Crystal Beach, I-10 was, as usual, under construction and traffic was diverted to the oncoming lanes. The GPS went crazy, trying to get me to turn back eastbound when I took my planned exit. Took about 15 miles before it caught up and finely quit trying to send me back to Louisiana. I had already mapped the route so the only problem was the bossy lady telling me to make turns every minute or two. By Bossy lady, I meant the GPS, not the DW.
AA4TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:23 AM   #104

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA4TG View Post
Last year while going through Beaumont on the way to Crystal Beach, I-10 was, as usual, under construction and traffic was diverted to the oncoming lanes. The GPS went crazy, trying to get me to turn back eastbound when I took my planned exit. Took about 15 miles before it caught up and finely quit trying to send me back to Louisiana. I had already mapped the route so the only problem was the bossy lady telling me to make turns every minute or two. By Bossy lady, I meant the GPS, not the DW.
I found the off button on every GPS I have owned easy to use. If I know where I am suppose to go, I go there without the GPS telling me to go somewhere else.

Many of us Entegra owners going back to the Mothership on Indania 31 ran into the same thing when it was under construction a few years ago. Turn the GPS off and enjoy the 200 miles in peace and quiet.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:30 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneknight View Post
I just programmed the thing to take us from E. TN to our first stop just south of Brevard NC.

I'd checked the route on Google Maps, all seemed very straight forward.
I normally run the GPS on my phone as backup, but am "breaking in a new phone" so I didn't.
The thing in the dash is kinda balky and doesn't like to be touched. I left it on the zoom where the POI's show and just did what it told me.

The route should have been I40 to 280 to 64. Done.

It took me through Hendersonville on roads that resulted in a couple curb jobs. Leaving Hendersonville, NC, it put me on 276, and then on progressively smaller roads through a couple national forests. After over an hour wandering the countryside, we came back on 276, and then it directed a turn down a road with a yellow sign that said "narrow curving mountain road not recommended for truck or large vehicle, SHARP TURNs!"

I bailed at this point, continuing on 276. I pulled off at the next parking area big enough to hold me, knocked on a strangers door, and said "my GPS is lost, how do I get to Adventure Village RV Resort?"

After some discussion, it was suggested I continue 8 miles on 276 to Brevard, then turn on 64 to the campground.

As I did so, that "THING" in my dash started screaming about "Exceeding the weight limit" on 64.

That thing in my dash turned a 45 minute cruise down a 4 lane divided highway into a 2 hour wander through the backwoods because it believed I was too heavy?
And it was wrong?

It is programmed properly, 62 feet long, 49,000 pounds...

Has anyone ever replaced theirs?
Can it be done while keeping the second screen with the cameras and putting the GPS display on the overhead TV?

I'm not used to a GPS that can't be trusted.
And this is not the first time.

Sorry for the long rant.
Remember to use the GPS as a guide, you should be somewhat familiar with your route, otherwise they can definitely take u the roundabout way to your destination.
KD4JAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:09 AM   #106

I can't answer for the overweight statement but make sure your GPS is not set to "avoid freeways" or something similar. I forgot to tun off that setting one time and I couldn't understand why it was taking me down such small roads. Then I remembered I had set it to avoid freeways for a lazy trip to visit a friend the month before.
JamieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:44 AM   #107
Zoo

Newmar Owners Club
I just downloaded copilot RV To evaluate. Does it give you real time traffic and road closure updates?
Zoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:15 AM   #108

....agreed....
picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:05 AM   #109

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo View Post
I just downloaded copilot RV To evaluate. Does it give you real time traffic and road closure updates?
Copilot offers Active Traffic as a $10 option. I’ve never used it because going off route in a 65’+ long, 25T vehicle is asking for more trouble than a traffic blockage causes. To use Active Traffic the device running Copilot will have to be online, not a requirement for navigation.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:38 AM   #110

I made the mistake of ignoring my GPS while driving from Vienna to Prague (not in a RV), and turned a 4 hour trip into 7 hours. Pilots have a saying- trust your instruments. I generally use 2 units when I travel- when they "disagree" time to pull over and consult the old fashion paper map.
Termigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:17 PM   #111

Did you have the Settings preference is set to avoid major highways?
LarryGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:39 PM   #112

I'm gonna have to make SWMBO read this one. I cannot convince her that just because the GPS says so that we need to make that turn. Going to Thor last winter, we ended up on a farm path to miss traffic congestion on 33(?). She gets mad if I want to stop and look at Google Earth to make sure of what I am doing.

Tags
gps