Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2020, 05:12 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gravity dump

I have a 2020 Cornerstone. What do I have to do to use the gravity dump? I know I hook the hose under the coach. Then what?
Jafundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2020, 05:34 PM   #2

If your wet-bay is similar to this example, push the switches labeled "sewage & waste water"... to the open position sewage first. When done, close your sewage switch and dependent upon who you ask you could leave the waste water open or closed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0331.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	303382  
2017 Cornerstone 45B - FMCA-#489135
2012 Scion XB - Pushing hard
jrugarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 05:44 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrugarber View Post
If your wet-bay is similar to this example, push the switches labeled "sewage & waste water"... to the open position sewage first. When done, close your sewage switch and dependent upon who you ask you could leave the waste water open or closed.

But I think I need to disengage the macerator some how.
Old 10-04-2020, 07:12 PM   #4

Not sure about the 2020's but... if you have your 4" hose hooked up and flip the appropriate switches waste will begin to flow bypassing the macerator. Don't touch the macerator switch and it won't activate. if you haven't hooked up the macerator hose to the connection, even if you turned it on, the waste would have nowhere to travel.
2017 Cornerstone 45B - FMCA-#489135
2012 Scion XB - Pushing hard
jrugarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafundy View Post
But I think I need to disengage the macerator some how.
When you take the white panel off there’s a 11/2 inch valve on the right side of the macerator box about half way back. That valve needs to be closed when not using the macerator.
To use the macerator open the 11/2 inch valve and close the 3 inch valve for the slinky hose.
Everything goes through the macerator box it just depends on whether you use the pump or gravity as to which valve you want open or closed.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 08:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafundy View Post
I have a 2020 Cornerstone. What do I have to do to use the gravity dump? I know I hook the hose under the coach. Then what?

Why would you want to do that?
Prairie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:51 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Dog View Post
Why would you want to do that?

Been told if I am parking in one place for long time the gravity dump is better for clearing the entire tank; waste settled in the bottom in the tank included.
Old 10-05-2020, 09:57 AM   #8

If you bypass the macerator, then you just are dumping your tanks the way everyone dumped their tanks before the invention of the macerator.... You pull the valve on the tanks and dump. Now, if you have a macerator pump, the valves are electronic and have a spade type valve operated by an electric solenoid, so you have to use the dump valve switches. As someone else said, dont touch the macerator pump on/off switch. It should never be running if you are dumping the old way.

There has been a thread up here within the past month that has been lamenting a jammed or otherwise non-functioning macerator pump motor, and the potential need to remove the macerator pump and clean/replace it (not a fun job). One of the reasons for this problem is people who have been leaving the gray tank contents (and maybe the black tank) passively run through the macerator motor which is not a good idea.

If you dont want to manage your dumps and you want particularly the gray water tank to dump passively so you dont have to do it every couple of days, then the using the old stinky slinky system bypasses the macerator motor and discharge system.

Now, I dont believe that you get any better / cleaner tank doing this than you would get if you used the macerator system..... what you get is just not having to bother to watch until your tanks get full, and then manually going through the process of manipulating the valves and turning the macerator on and off. I personally think just as much gunk accumulates on the bottom either way, which is why you occasionally do a black tank "flush" process.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
One of the reasons for this problem is people who have been leaving the gray tank contents (and maybe the black tank) passively run through the macerator motor which is not a good idea.
Gary,
Not sure what this statement means? can you elaborate? Does it mean run through macerator without switch on?
Bill
Old 10-05-2020, 11:52 AM   #10

Yes, let me see if I can locate the thread that dealt with this issue. and I will add another post or edit this post.

This thread was further back than I would have thought, but I think it is the issue that you are raising (at least my understanding of it).

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/mac...un-505748.html

Note beginning with Pat's (Freshair) post #3

Gary
Old 10-05-2020, 12:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Yes, let me see if I can locate the thread that dealt with this issue. and I will add another post or edit this post.

This thread was further back than I would have thought, but I think it is the issue that you are raising (at least my understanding of it).

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/mac...un-505748.html

Note beginning with Pat's (Freshair) post #3

Gary

So, better to turn macerator on during dump of either tank?
Old 10-05-2020, 12:22 PM   #12

Quote:
If you bypass the macerator, then you just are dumping your tanks the way everyone dumped their tanks before the invention of the macerator.... You pull the valve on the tanks and dump. Now, if you have a macerator pump, the valves are electronic and have a spade type valve operated by an electric solenoid, so you have to use the dump valve switches. As someone else said, dont touch the macerator pump on/off switch. It should never be running if you are dumping the old way.

There has been a thread up here within the past month that has been lamenting a jammed or otherwise non-functioning macerator pump motor, and the potential need to remove the macerator pump and clean/replace it (not a fun job). One of the reasons for this problem is people who have been leaving the gray tank contents (and maybe the black tank) passively run through the macerator motor which is not a good idea.

If you dont want to manage your dumps and you want particularly the gray water tank to dump passively so you dont have to do it every couple of days, then the using the old stinky slinky system bypasses the macerator motor and discharge system.

Now, I dont believe that you get any better / cleaner tank doing this than you would get if you used the macerator system..... what you get is just not having to bother to watch until your tanks get full, and then manually going through the process of manipulating the valves and turning the macerator on and off. I personally think just as much gunk accumulates on the bottom either way, which is why you occasionally do a black tank "flush" process.

Gary
Gary, you have to use the dump valve electric switches if you have the macerator on Entegra. There are no handles to pull except the gravity dump or the macerator 11/2 inch dump and they are both after and external of the macerator. Everything goes into the macerator box regardless of whether you use the gravity or macerator motor. There is one inlet to the macerator and two outlets (1) 3 inch and (1) 11/2 inch, but both are out of the macerator. Nothing bypasses the macerator. You can either pump it out or let it out by gravity, but everything goes through it.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 12:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin101 View Post
Gary, you have to use the dump valve electric switches if you have the macerator on Entegra. There are no handles to pull except the gravity dump or the macerator 11/2 inch dump and they are both after and external of the macerator. Everything goes into the macerator box regardless of whether you use the gravity or macerator motor. There is one inlet to the macerator and two outlets (1) 3 inch and (1) 11/2 inch, but both are out of the macerator. Nothing bypasses the macerator. You can either pump it out or let it out by gravity, but everything goes through it.
Yep, you saved me some typing J.H. I was pretty sure what you described is how it works, but I just went out to the RV garage to confirm it visually. On our 2018 Cornerstone it is exactly as you described, and I suspect the same is true for most all Entegra Aspires, Anthems & Cornerstones that have an on-board Thetford Sani-Con 700 Turbo macerator.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 02:07 PM   #14

Well, then I completely misunderstood how the system works and I apologize to the group for the misinformation. My understanding was that the contents of the black and gray tanks bypassed the macerator pump by emptying before the macerator pump and only the waste going through the sanicon hose went through the macerator.

I will look into this more fully and try to correct my understanding. I apologize to the group for the misinformation.

EDIT: JH.... what does 11/2 mean? Do you mean 1.5" or alternately, 1 (space) 1/2"? That doesnt explain my confusion cited above but just to be clear...

Gary