Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2021, 04:10 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Gremlins in the Vega-Touch

We were two hours into a five hour drive running the genny to run the house A/C units (dash air is out, story for another day). We've found that if we run the dash fan on recirculate it pulls the cold air coming down and pushes cool air out which works really good with the sun beating into the windows.

We noticed that the air was warming up and the the house A/C was not running, but the genny was. Found a place to pull into and checked the switch on the genny, it was on. Went back to the Vega-Touch to check the temp section and found errors instead of temps on the screen saver and x's instead of current temps on the HVAC screen, none of the units were running. On the home page in the upper left message center it said 'communication system error'. There were other issues but I tried three resets of house power with no positive results, although different things kept coming up, none good. Tried a total shutdown, same result. Gave up and called Entegra.

After a lot of trouble shooting we found the RVC bridge on fault. Tried to reset, no joy; shut everything down again, no joy. Checked both inverters, green lights flashing and no pop breakers popped. He was convinced the RVC bridge was bad. Contacted parts, three week delay in getting one in.

We still had three hours to get to our CG, so we decided to move on and pursue our alternatives in the morning. In the meantime we were able to use the A/C bypass switched for the A/C and while the VT wouldn't extend or retract the slides, the buttons over the passenger seat worked.

When we arrived at the CG both the RVC bridge fault light and the communication system error message were gone, but all the issues were still there. We plugged into 50 amp service and they were still there. In addition to the above issues all this was going on:

Diesel heat and electric heat when touched just showed black dot, however the diesel heat worked (light came on in the 1/2 bath panel) but the electric did not.

Awnings wouldn't work on the VT but did with the remote.

The home screen on the VT shows batteries at 12.5 and 12.7 with no movement, no charging.

Can't get past the inverters on the settings screen. Can't get to make adjustments.

Most of the lights work from the VT but nothing on the panel by the door.

Too many variances with touch pads to mention.

In other words the gremlins have taken over!

I called Firefly first thing this morning, had to leave a message and still haven't heard back. Talked to Entegra again to update them on the no fault on the RVC and no communications error. We did more trouble shooting and he took detailed notes and emailed them to Firefly, still no response.

I'm hoping someone else may have had experience with this type of issue, I read through Gary's thread about house batteries but I can't even get to the point of seeing voltages and the genny and motor start just fine. I haven't just tried to just stay on inverters for very long to see if they are working correctly simply because of the heat right now, so maybe they are the problem, but it really seems like the VT is the culprit.

In the meantime we can get everything to work and we are headed north so we won't have to depend on the A/C as much. Not sure how we could run the heat, but hopefully this will be resolved by then. Thanks in advance for any help!
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
garysfb is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2021, 04:52 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysfb View Post
We were two hours into a five hour drive running the genny to run the house A/C units (dash air is out, story for another day). We've found that if we run the dash fan on recirculate it pulls the cold air coming down and pushes cool air out which works really good with the sun beating into the windows.

We noticed that the air was warming up and the the house A/C was not running, but the genny was. Found a place to pull into and checked the switch on the genny, it was on. Went back to the Vega-Touch to check the temp section and found errors instead of temps on the screen saver and x's instead of current temps on the HVAC screen, none of the units were running. On the home page in the upper left message center it said 'communication system error'. There were other issues but I tried three resets of house power with no positive results, although different things kept coming up, none good. Tried a total shutdown, same result. Gave up and called Entegra.

After a lot of trouble shooting we found the RVC bridge on fault. Tried to reset, no joy; shut everything down again, no joy. Checked both inverters, green lights flashing and no pop breakers popped. He was convinced the RVC bridge was bad. Contacted parts, three week delay in getting one in.

We still had three hours to get to our CG, so we decided to move on and pursue our alternatives in the morning. In the meantime we were able to use the A/C bypass switched for the A/C and while the VT wouldn't extend or retract the slides, the buttons over the passenger seat worked.

When we arrived at the CG both the RVC bridge fault light and the communication system error message were gone, but all the issues were still there. We plugged into 50 amp service and they were still there. In addition to the above issues all this was going on:

Diesel heat and electric heat when touched just showed black dot, however the diesel heat worked (light came on in the 1/2 bath panel) but the electric did not.

Awnings wouldn't work on the VT but did with the remote.

The home screen on the VT shows batteries at 12.5 and 12.7 with no movement, no charging.

Can't get past the inverters on the settings screen. Can't get to make adjustments.

Most of the lights work from the VT but nothing on the panel by the door.

Too many variances with touch pads to mention.

In other words the gremlins have taken over!

I called Firefly first thing this morning, had to leave a message and still haven't heard back. Talked to Entegra again to update them on the no fault on the RVC and no communications error. We did more trouble shooting and he took detailed notes and emailed them to Firefly, still no response.

I'm hoping someone else may have had experience with this type of issue, I read through Gary's thread about house batteries but I can't even get to the point of seeing voltages and the genny and motor start just fine. I haven't just tried to just stay on inverters for very long to see if they are working correctly simply because of the heat right now, so maybe they are the problem, but it really seems like the VT is the culprit.

In the meantime we can get everything to work and we are headed north so we won't have to depend on the A/C as much. Not sure how we could run the heat, but hopefully this will be resolved by then. Thanks in advance for any help!
Firefly used to be Johnny on the spot, but for some reason they pretty much suck lately. Even Entegra has a problem getting them to respond.
Old 06-09-2021, 07:27 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I called yesterday morning and did not hear back till this afternoon . Hope you get an answer!
rlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 07:10 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
This detailed post was made by Larry. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/ele...or-500071.html
A month later I am on the way to NIRVC to exchange the 19 for the 21. When I starting the generator, nothing 120 worked and I had a communication error on the VT. Messing with the communication wire from the VT to the transfer switch got the VT working again. Thanks to Larry's post I made the trip to NIRVC with AC's while it was 98* out. It did take 20 minutes of twisting, pulling and pushing on the telephone type plug to finally make contact.

After getting the communication wire to make contact everything worked fine Walmarting it that night and the next morning.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 07:51 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
This detailed post was made by Larry. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/ele...or-500071.html
A month later I am on the way to NIRVC to exchange the 19 for the 21. When I starting the generator, nothing 120 worked and I had a communication error on the VT. Messing with the communication wire from the VT to the transfer switch got the VT working again. Thanks to Larry's post I made the trip to NIRVC with AC's while it was 98* out. It did take 20 minutes of twisting, pulling and pushing on the telephone type plug to finally make contact.

After getting the communication wire to make contact everything worked fine Walmarting it that night and the next morning.
Chuck thanks for the info; and Larry great detailed post as usual! I've already checked the same line on the back of the VT itself, it's all good. Didn't think about where the line connected. I found the exact same setup under the transfer switch Larry showed, being short on time I just unplugged and re-plugged the visible connection. Didn't find anything unusual and no changes in the VT screens. Friday we'll be at our destination in Egg Harbor, WI and I'll have 2 weeks to hopefully sort this out.

I see only two Philips head screws on opposite corners of the transfer switch cover and several, looks like rivet heads. Do just the two screws remove the cover or is there some other trick to getting the cover off?
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
Old 06-10-2021, 08:01 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Just remove the screws. The rivets don't hold the cover on.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 05:37 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Finally got a return call from Firefly while on the road today. Michelle said she'd call me Monday morning, hope so. In the meantime I'll pull the transfer cover tomorrow and see how that connection looks.
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
Old 06-12-2021, 11:48 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Well the two wire plug was sound and after pulling the transfer switch cover found no burnt, melted wires or plugs; nothing loose. I'm beginning to think it may be the VT itself. Probably wishful thinking as that is an easy plug and play while tracing down the communication system error could get very time consuming. Either way I hope I can accomplish it with VT's help Monday.
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
Old 06-12-2021, 12:48 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Hopefully Firefly can format and reload the VT and correct the problem. It would be nice if it was just a computer glitch that took more than a reboot.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 01:52 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Hopefully Firefly can format and reload the VT and correct the problem. It would be nice if it was just a computer glitch that took more than a reboot.
It would be nice if it was a '19+. They could download the fix. But for mine I think they can ship a memory stick to load it. That would be nice, and cheaper!
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
Old 06-13-2021, 10:31 AM   #11

for me they emailed the upgrade and I loaded on my own usb stick.
jeff.herren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 11:07 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Follow up on my VT call. She was an hour late...but once on the line they stay on until some sort of resolution is reached. In my case about an hour and a half, but the jury is still out on a resolution. Throughout the call she kept putting me on hold or calling me back to refer to manuals and/or other techs. Which led me to believe, although fairly knowledgeable, she was not a 'tech'.

We checked the comm lines in the VT and the G6 control panels in the half bath and over the passenger seat. While checking the front unit I noticed the net port LED was solid red with a double green flash every 30 seconds. I told her this and she asked to call me back in a few minutes. She told me that front G6 unit was bad according to the two techs she spoke with. OK but that board does not control everything going wrong in the coach. She insisted that unit was bad. I had already unplugged and replugged the comm line on the unit, so I asked her to stay on the line while I did another 12 volt reset. Now the light is a fast blinking green. She said the means it's searching for all it's comm ports for response. Still insisted the unit was bad.

So I'm having one shipped to me, should be here Thursday. If it's not the problem it is returnable. My gut tells me it may be PART of the problem but I'm convinced there is more. On the next call, if I have to make one and hope it doesn't take two days for a response, I will insist on talking to one of the techs she is referring to! More to come...
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
Old 06-18-2021, 09:46 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
At last!

When I'm wrong, I say I'm wrong...this time it's a good thing. The board from Firefly came in, easy swap out and everything that was not working is working again

The G6 panel above the passenger seat has 4 or 5 boards on the back. This was the top board with five communication plugs, a climate control plug and several other unmarked plugs on it. The exact description is 'Module Assy, RSI-9 Aux Input Interface, w/Analog monitor, Climate Control/G6, 15 Inputs'.

Firefly was correct in their diagnosis but a week was wasted. Had they responded to my call Wednesday morning, completed the order and shipped Wednesday or Thursday overnight, I could have been fixed up by Friday afternoon. Last Friday, not today. But in the end they were right and the telltale for them was the red, instead of green, Net Port LED on the G6 panel. So look for that if you experience all or some of the symptoms I listed in my first post.

Looking back we had been driving on many different surfaces and some pretty bumpy, so maybe the one comm plug I found a little loose shorted something out? I also checked all the other plug-ins and found two that were not all the way seated, maybe the issue? Don't know but something to check maybe annually.

Thanks for bearing with my long posts, maybe this will help some one out there someday.
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
Old 06-18-2021, 11:36 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Gary,

Glad you got things resolved. Thanks for posting the solution.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote