Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2021, 10:07 PM   #1

Grinding Noise When Extending Super Slide

As mentioned in this thread…

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/lat...ub-525122.html

…I learned long ago that no trip is without incident. In addition to the DEF system issues documented in the thread linked above, we also experienced the following during a just-completed trip from Phoenix to Tucson and back.

When extending the “Super Slide” (the big living room slide on the driver’s side of the coach), we heard a noticeable “grinding” sort of noise. Not ridiculously loud, but definitely different than anything we’ve experienced in the past three-plus years of owning this coach.

The noise appears to be coming from the slide motor, which I was able to confirm by having Amy extend the slide while I was down in the compartment where the motor is located. But the really strange thing is that the motor sounds the same as it always did when retracting the slide.

I contacted Entegra Customer Support and described the symptoms. The reply I received suggested checking several other things besides the motor. I’ll do that, but unless I find something I don’t expect my next step is to remove the motor and “bench test” it.

I’ll report anything and everything I’m able to learn, but I’d be very interested to know if anyone else has experienced anything similar. Our coach is a 2018 Cornerstone 45B, but I believe most Entegra Aspires, Anthems and Cornerstones have a similar “Super Slide” on the driver’s side of the forward end of the coach.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2021, 10:33 PM   #2

Larry,
I have also experienced a sound similar to a rotational “clicking” as that same slide was extended and retracted. It has happened a few times in the last 6 months. I removed the access panels for the cog wheel assembly in the ceiling of the cargo bay and observed as my wife operated the slide. I never could find the source of the sound and nothing looked amiss during the operation. It has since stopped making the noise, but each time we operate it I am sensitive to any unusual sounds. I’m hopeful that it will not progress into something more problematic.
2017 Cornerstone 45B - FMCA-#489135
2012 Scion XB - Pushing hard
jrugarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 10:36 PM   #3

Thanks John. What you described is what I'm going to do next, but as best I could tell yesterday the noise is coming from the motor itself.

I'll post updates as I learn more.
Old 02-16-2021, 06:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWBAZ View Post
Thanks John. What you described is what I'm going to do next, but as best I could tell yesterday the noise is coming from the motor itself.

I'll post updates as I learn more.
There are two or maybe three bearings in the slide mechanism. It could be one of them?
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 07:17 AM   #5

If you are going to have it out on the bench I'd suggest opening it up and looking for a failing bearing
Motorhead-54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 11:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy110 View Post
There are two or maybe three bearings in the slide mechanism. It could be one of them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead-54 View Post
If you are going to have it out on the bench I'd suggest opening it up and looking for a failing bearing
Thanks guys. That’s what it sounds like – a failing bearing. The weird thing is that it makes a lot of noise when the slide is being extended but not when it’s being retracted.

I’ll report back as I learn more.
Old 02-16-2021, 02:53 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Have you looked inside the bay on the floor? Ours actually lost ball bearings smaller than BBs that ended up on the floor. Motor sounded bad, more going out than in. Made it to the mother ship where they had the manufacturer of the slide mechanism come and replace and adjust. No problems since.
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
garysfb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 03:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysfb View Post
Have you looked inside the bay on the floor? Ours actually lost ball bearings smaller than BBs that ended up on the floor. Motor sounded bad, more going out than in. Made it to the mother ship where they had the manufacturer of the slide mechanism come and replace and adjust. No problems since.
Good info Gary - thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.
Old 02-16-2021, 05:28 PM   #9

Our super-slide motor went out 3 years ago. A "loud" grinding noise coming from the motor area suddenly appeared; however, there was no deterioration in performance - only the noise.

When I contacted Entegra, they asked me to make sure the sound was directly from the motor, which I did. Since our coach was still under warranty, they sent a new motor to a local Jayco dealer, who replaced the motor, and it has worked perfectly since then (knock on wood!).

BG
BobG88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 09:15 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
We h as d a similar clicking noise on our vanity slide only while move the slide out. The noise was from the the square drive tube was catching the edge of an aluminum cover that was bent from a rock hit. Make sure you check the entire drive tube to see if it might be hitting something.

Hope your is a easy fix like mine.

Herb
royals1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 09:50 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We had a bearing fail on the drive cogs in the bay with the AquaHot. By the time we discovered it, there were small beatings on the floor in that bay and witness marks where the square drive tube had hit one of the slide rails.

The biggest lesson that I learned form that event is one that it seems Larry may already know.

Our typical process after parking was for me to go outside and connect the power cord. As soon as I confirmed suitable power, I'd go back inside to advise DW that we had power so that she could get the HVAC working to establish a suitable climate. She's got a comfort zone of approximately 0.3 degrees F. Once she got that started, she'd put the slides out while I went back outside to get water and, if needed, sewer connections established.

So, the lesson learned is that you really can not hear any abnormal noises being made by the slide drive mechanisms over three heat pumps with their fans on high. It can be tearing itself up and you'd never hear it.

We've adopted a protocol that starts with establishing a quiet environment any time we move a slide in or out.

It sounds like Larry does that.

Take care,
Stu
Old 02-17-2021, 10:57 PM   #12

Did some more evaluation and testing today (2/17/2021).

Removed the panels that cover the cogs at the end of the shafts that are rotated by the slide motor. Didn't see any damage or issues there, but sprayed both cogs and surrounding parts with WD-40 just to be sure nothing was binding. No change in noise level when extending slide.

Next, I disconnected the rotating shafts from the slide motor so I could operate the motor in a no-load condition. The motor still made noise when rotating as it would when extending the slide. Not quite as noisy as when it was under load, but still very noticeable. A bit of noise when the motor was rotating as it would when retracting the slide, but not much.

Conclusion: Slide motor needs to be replaced, unless the original motor can be overhauled/rehabbed. I'm thinking I'll replace the motor, then see if I can find a shop that can work on the original.
Old 02-18-2021, 05:17 AM   #13

Good job diagnosing.
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 07:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWBAZ View Post
Did some more evaluation and testing today (2/17/2021).

Removed the panels that cover the cogs at the end of the shafts that are rotated by the slide motor. Didn't see any damage or issues there, but sprayed both cogs and surrounding parts with WD-40 just to be sure nothing was binding. No change in noise level when extending slide.

Next, I disconnected the rotating shafts from the slide motor so I could operate the motor in a no-load condition. The motor still made noise when rotating as it would when extending the slide. Not quite as noisy as when it was under load, but still very noticeable. A bit of noise when the motor was rotating as it would when retracting the slide, but not much.

Conclusion: Slide motor needs to be replaced, unless the original motor can be overhauled/rehabbed. I'm thinking I'll replace the motor, then see if I can find a shop that can work on the original.
That is one of the three easier motors to replace from what I understand. Looking forward to your updates Larry. Thanks.

Tags
noise, slide