Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2014, 04:00 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Had the black tank odor in the 1/2 Bath today

Like a few others, I experienced the black tank odor in the 1/2 bath today. I removed the vent valve.... it is an inexpensive ball valve setup that can hang up at anytime. Instead of messing with it, I had a couple of Studor valves STUDOR 1-1/2 in. or 2 in. PVC Mini Vent Adapter-20341 at The Home Depot left over from rentals, so I will be installing one in the bath vanity tomorrow. That adapter fitting is drying now. That should eliminate the "hung up" valve problem.

Our Lowe"s and Home Depot did not have the replacement valve that others have been able to find, so I used the expensive one I had on hand, but it should be problem free as there is no ball to hang up.

The photo is of the factory installed valve that was hung up.

I just had minor surgery and DW is yelling at me that I am not suppose to be doing this.....yeah right That's why they call it "minor" surgery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-09-23 17.53.08.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	74751  
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2014, 06:26 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Like a few others, I experienced the black tank odor in the 1/2 bath today. I removed the vent valve.... it is an inexpensive ball valve setup that can hang up at anytime. Instead of messing with it, I had a couple of Studor valves STUDOR 1-1/2 in. or 2 in. PVC Mini Vent Adapter-20341 at The Home Depot left over from rentals, so I will be installing one in the bath vanity tomorrow. That adapter fitting is drying now. That should eliminate the "hung up" valve problem.

Our Lowe"s and Home Depot did not have the replacement valve that others have been able to find, so I used the expensive one I had on hand, but it should be problem free as there is no ball to hang up.

I just had minor surgery and DW is yelling at me that I am not suppose to be doing this.....yeah right That's why they call it "minor" surgery.
Funny, I was just at Home Depot today looking for the factory "cheater" vent.. Couldn't find it either. I see this one you linked is in stock at my local store though. Can you please post any more pics of the install and adapter once you get it done? I'm installing the 360 Siphon vent on the roof tomorrow, but still would like to fix this as well. In my last coach, the 360 vents fixed 100% of our odor issues however.
Hope the minor surgery heals well!
Old 09-23-2014, 06:33 PM   #3

No such thing as minor surgery. Unless it's someone else.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:02 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
jdwky, be more than happy to take some photos and explanation. I am leaving the factory threaded piece that is on the pipe and PVC glued an adapter to the Studor vent so it could be removable. Photos tomorrow.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:29 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:

Chuck, hope everything is going well after your surgery and take care. Listen to DW! Steve
C310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:31 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgguy View Post
No such thing as minor surgery. Unless it's someone else.
I like that one
Old 09-24-2014, 09:36 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Valve is changed

The Studor valve is a 1 1/2 in thread and the factory installed valve is 1 1/4 in thread.

For the Studor valve I bought a 1 1/2 in slip to 1 1/4 female thread. Photo #1

Glued that to the 1 1/2 fitting in the studor valve base. photo # 2

The studor valve screws to the top of the studor valve base. Photo #3

Now the studor valve will now fit the factory valve base thread without having to the cut pipe and refit a fitting in that tight space. Also makes changing a valve, if needed, to either size easy. Photo #4

Do use Teflon tape on the threads.

Hopefully the upgraded valve will stop the occasional sewer smell when the ball in the factory valve sticks. Tapping it with my hand freed it, but I didn't want to have the smell even occasionally.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02093.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	74810   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02094.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	74811  

Name:	DSC02095.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	74812   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02098.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	74813  

Old 09-24-2014, 09:53 AM   #8

Shop Keeney Mfg. Co. Plastic Mechanical Plumbing Air Admittance Vent at Lowes.com= THIS 1 worked on my odor at home depot it was 2 .99 or less i did 2 in my deQ one on each side solved the issue not sure how they get clogged though
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:23 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Johnny, the one pictured is the wrong thread for the factory pipe. The factory valve is a 1 1/4 inch female thread. Did you have to adapt yours?
Old 09-24-2014, 10:30 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Monaco must have installed 1 1/2 inch drains 'cause the Studor vents went right on without any adaptation. in my coach.

The Studor vents are so much better built than the cheap black ones. I went through a few of those before switching to the Studor vents.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mechanical Vent-01.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	276.2 KB
ID:	74817   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mechanical Vent-02.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	278.4 KB
ID:	74818  

Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:31 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Valve is changed

The Studor valve is a 1 1/2 in thread and the factory installed valve is 1 1/4 in thread.

For the Studor valve I bought a 1 1/2 in slip to 1 1/4 female thread. Photo #1

Glued that to the 1 1/2 fitting in the studor valve base. photo # 2

The studor valve screws to the top of the studor valve base. Photo #3

Now the studor valve will now fit the factory valve base thread without having to the cut pipe and refit a fitting in that tight space. Also makes changing a valve, if needed, to either size easy. Photo #4

Do use Teflon tape on the threads.

Hopefully the upgraded valve will stop the occasional sewer smell when the ball in the factory valve sticks. Tapping it with my hand freed it, but I didn't want to have the smell even occasionally.

Excellent pictures, thank you very much! Off to Home Depot today. My automatic garage door opener is being installed in my barn today so I have the coach in my home steep driveway, so I'm looking for reason to put off installing that 360 roof vent for another day or so :-)
Your posts are so helpful brobox, thanks very much for sharing with all of us. These pics and write ups are a thousand times better than any instruction manual.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:06 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to RW8804
Does anyone know if the washing machine has a vent that can be replaced the same way? Most of the odors in my coach are from the laundry area. I've seen other solutions to that problem posted, but I was wondering if the vent is another solution.
RW8804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:53 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Wait a tic, my vent looks way different than yours. Mine is on pex, not pvc. Is this the same thing?Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1411584769.718201.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	783.0 KB
ID:	74828
Old 09-24-2014, 12:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwky View Post
Wait a tic, my vent looks way different than yours. Mine is on pex, not pvc. Is this the same thing?Attachment 74828
There is definitely one in my coach behind the W/D unit.
tkcas01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
odor, tank