Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2021, 09:25 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hail Damage

Pulled into the Mount Rushmore KOA just in time for a major hail storm. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5074.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	670.6 KB
ID:	341948Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5074.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	670.6 KB
ID:	341948Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5088.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	571.0 KB
ID:	341949
RMatusick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2021, 09:35 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You have my best wishes for a successful outcome and my sympathy for the duress as you go through the claim and repair process.

Not, at all, what you were expecting from your South Dakota adventure.

Take care,
Stu

P.S. Did you know that the South Dakota state song is "Hail, South Dakota"?
Old 09-04-2021, 09:35 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Boy are you lucky. No kidding, we were in Gulf Shores state park when the big hailstorm hit. 5 1/2 inch hail. Did over $10,000.00 to the car and over $8,000.00 to the motorhome. Any size hail is no fun, but it looks like you came out fine.
Old 09-04-2021, 10:08 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Not fine yet. Truck is almost destroyed and every vent, winegard device, even satellite dish has damage. Thank god for duct tape.
Old 09-04-2021, 10:10 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
You have my best wishes for a successful outcome and my sympathy for the duress as you go through the claim and repair process.

Not, at all, what you were expecting from your South Dakota adventure.

Take care,

Stu

P.S. Did you know that the South Dakota state song is "Hail, South Dakota"?

I should have checked those facts before I booked the trip. Lol.
Old 09-04-2021, 10:19 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
How's your car?

I endured a hail storm in Montana that didn't do any damage to the coach. My first, cursory inspection of the toad left me thinking that I had dodged the bullet. It wasn't until I washed it that I started noticing the several hundred (literally) very small dents. It turned out to be $10k in repair. The paintless dent repair process was fascinating to watch.

We were in mid-trip when it happened and my insurance was fine with letting me delay the repair until it was convenient. I was hoping that, since golf balls fly better with dimples, I'd enjoy better gas mileage. That didn't turn out to be the case. I was, though, quite thankful that it didn't tend to hook or slice.

Take care,
Stu
Old 09-04-2021, 10:25 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
How's your car?

I endured a hail storm in Montana that didn't do any damage to the coach. My first, cursory inspection of the toad left me thinking that I had dodged the bullet. It wasn't until I washed it that I started noticing the several hundred (literally) very small dents. It turned out to be $10k in repair. The paintless dent repair process was fascinating to watch.

We were in mid-trip when it happened and my insurance was fine with letting me delay the repair until it was convenient. I was hoping that, since golf balls fly better with dimples, I'd enjoy better gas mileage. That didn't turn out to be the case. I was, though, quite thankful that it didn't tend to hook or slice.

Take care,

Stu

We are on a 3 month trip so insurance said replace the windshield and make it drivable. My truck looks like it went through a blender. 30 min of golfball and baseball size hail. I have never seen hail this bad.
A camper next to us was retired from a body shop company and believes my truck will be totaled when we go home.
Old 09-04-2021, 10:41 AM   #8

Dee and I were in Custer state park (SD) three years ago when we also sat through a hail storm. Ours produced lots of damage to our two month old Cornerstone. All the rails needed to replaced ( they are the curved transition pieces of aluminum that make the transition from your horizontal roof to your vertical side walls. All of them looked like some had worked on them carefully with a ballpeen hammer making a beautiful piece of well-hammered women's jewelry. All three of the air conditioning units had the thin aluminum fins inside the metal covers (which were themselves beaten up pretty badly) smashed solidly together so there would be no air flow. Of course the rails needed to be replaced, then fully repainted to match the coach plus all AC units replaced. All in all, my memory is that the total cost for the coach was ~ $40,000 and they were going to total my Honda CR-V but surprisingly found it was worth more than they thought, so I got a check to repair the Honda at $10,000. NIRVC did all the repair work and did a fantastic job. I was furious that my brand new coach had that much damage but NIRVC Lewisville made my coach "whole" Thank heavens for insurance and NIRVC!!

I'm never going to South Dakota again.... Never!

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 11:38 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Dee and I were in Custer state park (SD) three years ago when we also sat through a hail storm. Ours produced lots of damage to our two month old Cornerstone. All the rails needed to replaced ( they are the curved transition pieces of aluminum that make the transition from your horizontal roof to your vertical side walls. All of them looked like some had worked on them carefully with a ballpeen hammer making a beautiful piece of well-hammered women's jewelry. All three of the air conditioning units had the thin aluminum fins inside the metal covers (which were themselves beaten up pretty badly) smashed solidly together so there would be no air flow. Of course the rails needed to be replaced, then fully repainted to match the coach plus all AC units replaced. All in all, my memory is that the total cost for the coach was ~ $40,000 and they were going to total my Honda CR-V but surprisingly found it was worth more than they thought, so I got a check to repair the Honda at $10,000. NIRVC did all the repair work and did a fantastic job. I was furious that my brand new coach had that much damage but NIRVC Lewisville made my coach "whole" Thank heavens for insurance and NIRVC!!

I'm never going to South Dakota again.... Never!

Gary

Thanks Gary, I need to check my 3A/C units. Never thought about the fins. The covers are in tact but if there is a way it probably damaged those as well.
Yes the rails on both sides are awful as well as chips in the paint. We do have an appointment scheduled for S&S in Indiana for some paint repair so this will be added to the list.
Old 09-04-2021, 11:44 AM   #10

Hail damage

Bob,
Just curious, but was that tour the Fantasy Grand Rockies 38 day tour?
We were booked to make that and had to cancel till next year because I broke my leg in July.

Hope everything gets better.
Balladeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 11:54 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balladeer View Post
Bob,

Just curious, but was that tour the Fantasy Grand Rockies 38 day tour?

We were booked to make that and had to cancel till next year because I broke my leg in July.

Hope everything gets better.

We were not part of a tour. We are at Spearfish at the moment and several coaches have a tour decal in the window.
Old 09-04-2021, 12:19 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Sorry for your damage. It can be stressful no matter how severe the damage is. We were fortunate when we went through a hail storm in Northern Arizona. We were on our way hone from picking up our New coach in Las Vegas, so it was our maiden voyage, only three hours in. Luckily the hail was small where we pulled off the road to wait it out. My Wife’s Brother lives in Texas and lost both cars to baseball sized hail earlier this year.
Good luck with the repair.
Berryfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 12:34 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
How's your car?

Take care,
Stu
The Mythbusters once did an episode on that very subject. They covered a car (I think it was a Taurus) with a layer of clay then dimpled it with a tennis ball. If I remember correctly there was an improvement in gas mileage, but it was very small.
akeagle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 08:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMatusick View Post
Pulled into the Mount Rushmore KOA just in time for a major hail storm. Attachment 341948Attachment 341948Attachment 341949
We feel your PAIN as we went through this a couple years ago. Mark and his crew at S & S worked magic on our coach and our Insurance worked closely w/ us & S & S to get body , glass & trim repairs done 8 months later ( immediately replaced shower skylight ) however our car was history . Good Luck !