Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2020, 01:35 PM   #1

Hard wired surge protectors

Have a 2021 anthem on order and sold my portable surge protector with our old coach. Thoughts on why it is better to hard wire a surge protector. Seems like the cost of a portable progressive ems PT50x is about 375 and the cost to hardwire from our dealer is around 750. Would love to hear advise from you all. thanks
lands is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2020, 01:41 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
A lot of that cost is probably installation charges. You can get them online for under $350.

Later ...
Ray
RayandWendy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 01:46 PM   #3

I prefer to know the status of the panel before I plug my coach into it. My vote is for the portable one although it is yet another loose bulky item to stow when not plugged in. I would also suggest you take a look at the Hughes Autoformer offering. https://hughesautoformers.com/product/pwd50-epo/

I like the bluetooth app and right now the Hughes model is $231.00 on Amazon Prime vs $375.00 for the Progressive
Motorhead-54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 02:13 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Definitely nothing but good things to say regarding the Hughes Autoformer and their Bluetooth surge protector.
Old 11-04-2020, 02:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wanderers View Post
Definitely nothing but good things to say regarding the Hughes Autoformer and their Bluetooth surge protector.
I realized with an adapter plug I can use it at home with my emergency generator to monitor power draw. That's an added bonus.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 07:28 PM   #6

We just had one go belly up out at Yellowstone. Was glad it was portable. Quick fix.
Motang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 05:36 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
The hardwired, does have a sacrificial board if it take a hit and has a lifetime warranty. Flip the bypass switch and you still have surge protection for the coach, where a portable leaves no protection until replaced. My replacement board was sent 2nd day air, then I sent the old one back. The board is plug and play.

Your dealer is charging $400. for installation. It is not the hard of a DIY project with several post here and I am sure on Youtube on how to install one.

The new Hughes Autoformer looks interesting and I think I would install one if going new. The advantage for me on a hardwired unit is not having to mess with connecting each time I setup and the hardwired is totally weatherproof.
JMO but I think the portable units take more abuse being thrown around in the basement than they do being used. After having my EMS apart, the electronic are not meant for being tossed around, again JMO.
The important thing is to have one. I came home to bad power at my storage location after picking up my new 21.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 06:48 AM   #8

Totally agree with BROBOX on why one might choose a fixed mount over a portable one. They are large and cumbersome and are not 100% waterproof. One comment though...Hughes now offers a replacement surge protector board for their 50 amp unit and the instructions make it sound like a simple R&R should you ever blow one.

https://hughesautoformers.com/produc...ule-pwd50-epo/
Motorhead-54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 07:54 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
The hardwired unit is always working, with no action required from me. I don’t even think about it and hardly know it is there. One less thing to mess with, store in the basement, and possibly lose to theft. I like simple.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:22 AM   #10

By having it hardwired, there is one less connection to possibly overheat/fail. This is more so for users having more load through them, i.e. air conditioner(s) always running.
They are not hard to install if you have minimal wiring experience and can follow instructions.
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:27 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Hardwired here on our 2nd coach......it is so nice to immediately know what is going on without having to hook-up another piece of equipment each time..... We love our progressive but if I was in the market today I would certainly look seriously at the Hughes unit
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:50 AM   #12

I like the sacrificial board concept.
Motang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:10 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
My thinking would be to learn more about the surge protector built in from the factory. In looking at the coach online specification sheet Entegra writes "Premium surge protector with smart transfer switch". What is a Premium Surge Protector? Who makes it and what protection does it really offer? Armed with this knowledge I feel you can then make a better decision on what to add for protection (additional protection).
2-Nickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:20 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
The hardwired unit is always working, with no action required from me. I don’t even think about it and hardly know it is there. One less thing to mess with, store in the basement, and possibly lose to theft. I like simple.
X2, I know me, it would be raining when I pulled in and decided to skip hooking up the EMS. Just my luck the rain turns into a thunderstorm.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote