Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2016, 10:10 AM   #43

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by photraveller View Post
AGM's usually have lower resistance, so it's easier to push current to them faster. The real question is that a good thing for the battery?

Temperature sensors and compensation by the charger is questionable on AGM. Due to their design, AGM's don't dissipate heat nearly as well as flooded.It is easy to over heat the inner cells of an AGM battery, if the charger doesn't switch to different compensation curve for AGM's vs. flooded.

Steve
Steve,

Makes sense. If there is no liquid touching the case walls then the heat generated by charging will not transmit through as easily. This is also a good reason to be at or under the manufacturers recommended charge rate and not crank the Magnum inverters to 100% rate of charge thinking more is better.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2016, 12:10 PM   #44

Correct, Unless you don't have the time to recharge before getting back on the road, I see no reason to push max rated current.

In flooded you have a lot of free water to stir up and cycle around each cell. AGM's all the electrolyte is captured in glass mat (think fiberglass batting). Definitely a poor conductor of heat.

On AGM's, I've seen temperature differentials of up to 10F on std automotive cranking batteries from the center of the plate to the edges.

I can only guess at the differential on the L16's, but I am sure it is much higher.

Has anyone watched battery box temperatures on the 2017's?

I know we have a little ventilation, but with them being buried and fully enclosed it is on my list to monitor. With my Aspire I only have 2 batteries down there, I would expect it to be worse with 4 L16's.

Steve
Old 12-02-2016, 01:22 PM   #45

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
On AGM's, I've seen temperature differentials of up to 10F on std automotive cranking batteries from the center of the plate to the edges.
Is 10F from center to edge enough of a differential to cause an overheat problem? It doesn't seem like a very significant number to me.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 03:16 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Is 10F from center to edge enough of a differential to cause an overheat problem? It doesn't seem like a very significant number to me.
Yes it is, especially if you push the temperature every time you recharge, which is what temperature compensated charging can do.

That 10 degrees was showing up as failure modes, in the smaller automotive batteries.

With golf cart sized batteries I would expect the temperature difference to be same to slightly larger. With the L16's I fear the difference could be 50-100% more than 10F.

You are doing a slow cook on something like a wet/damp sponge. Think the opposite of the Samsung microwaves, it doesn't take much difference to dry out / burn one section of a cookie, while the other remains overly moist.

Now, all that said, the manufacturer should have chose max temperatures with all this in mind. However, in reality, max temperature is supposed to be a moving target based on ambient temp. Plus the manufacturer can't take into account how our batteries are enclosed in battery boxes.

So lowering max charge current (1st choice) or max temperature allowed (2nd choice) is a good thing to do.

Again, all IMHO,

Steve
Old 12-02-2016, 04:29 PM   #47

Entegra Owners Club
Steve and Don, I really appreciate you both sharing your knowledge on batteries. Many of us take batteries for granted, until you loose a $2,500. set of batteries prematurely. When that happens a lot of whys start coming forward. From reading your posts I am getting a lot of those answered and it is greatly appreciated, thank you.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:56 PM   #48

Thanks Chuck !

I'm just trying to follow the lead of you and others on this forum that have been so helpful to me.

Steve
Old 12-02-2016, 07:02 PM   #49

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks Chuck, with what is coming out of Entegra/PJ, this site needs some practical, sound advice.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:35 PM   #50

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
Thanks Chuck, with what is coming out of Entegra/PJ, this site needs some practical, sound advice.
The sad part is the forum is small percentage of Entegra owners and PJ graduates. More than 1/2 that were in the class I was in, went out and equalized that night. Thanks to you and your emails I did not and told a few others to check Discover Battery's web site before they equalized. .
Old 12-03-2016, 05:48 AM   #51

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Steve and Don, I really appreciate you both sharing your knowledge on batteries. Many of us take batteries for granted, until you loose a $2,500. set of batteries prematurely. When that happens a lot of whys start coming forward. From reading your posts I am getting a lot of those answered and it is greatly appreciated, thank you.
X2 - I have been following all the battery and power threads here learning all about our batteries and the systems we have onboard to manage them. Many thanks for your insight.
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 06:09 AM   #52

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks Chuck !

I'm just trying to follow the lead of you and others on this forum that have been so helpful to me.

Steve
Thanks Steve. We all have knowledge from previous lives to share. Yours a vast amount battery knowledge, mine a jet mechanic, Don's the knowledge of how all the systems work, Gene a previous big rigs owner, Pat an industrial arts teacher with GREAT mod ideas, and many others that bring knowledge to the table The more we share, the more we all learn.

I remember my Dad telling me after they went fulltime, that RV'ers were the most helpful people he had ever met.

Tags
batteries